500 people don't sound like 50,000 whispering...

I don't really know what else to put, that ought to be self explanatory. :D

In the interest of information though, when you're playing in front of a crowd of 500 people it really shouldn't be audibly represented by having the regular crowd volume turned way down. It sounds quite ridiculous, frankly. In the past you could escape it because you were only ever watching blobs, but now that the 3D engine increases the feeling of being there, the sound needs to do likewise.

Some additional crowd audio files are required, I'm afraid, to represent different attendances ranging from nobody (or damn well near it), to the current roaring throng.

That reminds me of the Lord of the Rings. All the Uruk-Hai war-chants were recorded during a football match in New Zealand. During halftime Peter Jackson went on the pitch and let the audience read out the Uruk-Hai war-chants from a video screen, which was recorded.

Mind you, the audio engineers had a hell of a job, because you know what drunk football supporters are like. "Peter, you're a ******!!"

On-topic: As an audio engineer myself, I can get quite annoyed with the poor quality of FM's audio at times, that's why I always just turn it off.

What I miss the most about FM are the sounds made by players and managers, which you can hear in any stadium. I have a season ticket myself for Feyenoord, who have an average attendance of 44,000, but I can still understand 80% of what the players and managers shout at each other.

haha, just had the image of all the fans at the emirates whispering. oh, wait....

Haha :D

I never actually use sound, but how often does it actually get updated within the game? Does it still sound similar to the earlier games, like the ones even before 2D?

A guy I used to play FM with (back when it was CM, Hi Dom) and I always thought that the sound should be representative.

So if you're in the BSS or similar and there are about 40 people you should have the sound of a bloke and his dog "Get in there my son"; "woof", and perhaps an ice cream van.

I startet a similar thread just after the release of the game:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=57338

Aha. Good to see it's been taken on board. The three tiered system would be a fine start, and the match type and stadium capacity (and later, if modelled, its featues) should also play a part. 200 people crammed in one stand in an FA Cup game ought to be louder than the same number spread around a section of Hamden in a meaningless end of season Queen's Park match. Dynamic crowds that react to the game more than being soundbites played when standard events occur would be the way forward.

A little part of me feels sure that the game models the general crowd mood during a game, so there's a building block right there.

This is a great post and it would be fun (and quite easy) to have different sound files for this purpose.

I still wonder why SI didn't do the obvious. It is enough to sample two dozens of audio files with loudness and sound effects spectators numbers related. With a smart sound editor it takes roughly 2 hours of job.

You first need your own audio files, as everything else will become a copyright problem in the long term. I did some sound engineering in the past and it's time consuming and sometimes frustrating until you catch the right sound. In the end: It costs money.

This should happen (specific audio for grouped crowd sizes). Its symptomatic of FM's 'cheapness' that it is not the case already. To sell to a wider audience its something that should be considered.

It's Xmas Eve and I'm back from the pub and posting on this forum. Jeez.

Your lucky - my Christmas meal is two slices of bread and a cup of water - no time to interrupt my save. Anyway, this is a job for mods, and Nova made a sound pack including chating players' names for fM08 - hopefully someone will do for 09. One guy has released a programme where we can add our own chants and some fans record crowds at live games and use that prog to put them into FM09. It's all there in the editors' forum.

I do believe someone makes a sound addon for FM every year. He does a pretty good job, even though I am more than happy with the sound.

He had a thread about his addon in the applicable forum last year. He may have one this year.

There is a user called Fuerney who makes unofficial packs which are excellent. I don't think it's available for FM09 though.

The quality of the sounds effects used in the game are very poor and considering how important I think it is to create a realistic environment within the game, S.I should be dissappointed with their efforts regarding sound. It was arguebly better in CM01/02 and look how long ago that was.

I do remember in all the hype of FM09, Miles proudly declairing that in game sound would be improved in this version but as I've already said, it's a very poor effort.

I'm not interested in slating S.I but this is something which I want to be improved with each edition and it never is.

Archived