youngsters help

Its a tough road, actually. They won't all reach their potential; first, you gotta accept that.

Second, the biggest factor that helps them improve their CA is competitive football at the appropriate level for their current development.

That's the kicker - you can't just take a kid with CA of 80, PA of 200, and toss him into the E.P.L. as a starter. His performance will suffer, his self-confidence will get shattered, he'll stop developing, and become a washout. However, if you leave him in the U-18 side and Reserve side forever, he also won't reach his PA.

My recommended development path is:

- U-18's + Tutoring

- Reserves + Tutoring + occasional Cup matches vs lower-division opposition

- Full-Season Loan(s) Out

- First Team: starts the "easiest" 33% of matches + Tutoring

- First Team: starts about 66% of matches

- First Team: regular starter, all critical matches

I'm not giving you an Age or a CA where its right to do any specific item; that's mostly up to you to discover. It'll almost work out "by feel", as the developing kids will push each other towards each of the steps in the plan. The key bit is, make sure the kid is getting playing time.

If he's unable to crack your Reserves starting lineup with any regularity, loan him out.

If he's out on Loan, make sure you have a Recall Clause. If he's not starting, recall him, and loan him out to somebody else.

that's a really good post. Might take some notes, :)

----

Just as an addition, I'd say Condition/Fitness is important, especially at a young age. If you give a young player too many First Team game time his condition will decrease hugely. This could affect his training, and development, in the following weeks.

----

Archived