How often to you break the bank to sign a player?

Just wondered, do you often overspend on players? I mean, if a player is valued at £6 million and the club he plays for want £10 million what do you normally do? Do you always give into them, never or only if the player is really worth it?

It depends on whether I think it's worth it, how much money I have and how desperate I am for a player. £10m for a £6m rated player is very reasonable - you'll almost never get a player that the club wants to keep for anywhere near their estimated value.

i dont think paying 10 million for a 6 million rated player is called breaking the bank. if you have to pay like 30+ million for the same player then thats breaking the bank.

answering your qn, i dont usually do it but if its like a worldclass player who would bring quality to my team and improve the way my team plays then why not.

OK then lets change it, if a player is valued at £9 million and his club asks for £29 million what would you do?

Depends on the player. I'd look around at other options, but if he was the best I was going to get, and I could afford it, then yeah, I'd go for it.

I don't really consider the value to be that important. What matters is: a) how good the player is, b) how much I can afford to spend, and c) how much comparable players are selling for

I usually don't do it as there is always a similar player available for cheap.. not always easy to find them though. This is of course unless you're challanging for the champions league or even only the title in one of the big 3 countries.

Highest spend 09.. €56m for Messi

On 08 I think I've once paid more than €100m for Fabregas

I deal with small numbers, less then a million, and so I'm very tight with the transfer budget because usually, it's close to 0. So you can bet your bottom dollar that I negotiate till either they give in, or I move on and look at the transfer listed players.

I try to avoid spending most of my transfer budget on one player. I usually try and spread it out a lot by focussing on youth and building up my strength over time as my youth players improve.

The only time I ever spend a lot on a player is if they are a player who would be an absolute key player for me or if I was desperate for a player in that position.

Latest example of that would be in my 2nd season as sunderland, I had no right mids/right attacking mids, so I spent about £18m of my £22m budget on one player.

i just won the title twice in a row with man city and lost to barcelona in the champions league final and i became a worldwide club and i signed miralem pjanic for £85million

jeez. u can get him for well cheaper. i got him for 25mil i think. and i had to think about that!

I never spend so much that it'd put the club into financial difficulty. Unfortunately that meant on my latest game that after 3 seasons, my total spending with Mansfield was still 0. Same applies at a big club though,if I only want one player, I have no problem with spending my whole transfer budget to get the one I want.

Im at Rangers and have a decent amount of money but no world class players want to come, i tryed riquelme and he wanted to come, valued at 3.5m i had to pay 9m and his age is 32. well worth it cos hes playing amazing and thanks to him im in quater finals of champ league and looking like mite make it further so i should get alot of that back in prize money, gate receipts.

My biggest signing yet is 4.5 million in euro's so about 3.5 million pound.

I buy young talents or transfer listed players most of the time.

My transfer budget is currently 28 million euro (20 million pound).

I nearly bought a striker for 11 million, but in the end I decided not to make a bid because my current one accepted his new contract instead of a transfer to Valencia.

I never put my club in financial problems.

If you have the money, it's not really breaking the bank.

A few seasons ago with Leeds, we desperately needed a keeper, but none better than what we had were becoming available. Then a chance for a much better one turned up. Only they wanted 3 million and I only had 2 and a bit million. No matter what I put in they wouldnt budge the price.

So I offered 2 million plus a million after 50 games. They accepted and I got the player.

Later, I got an even better keeper and this guy became 2nd choice. I needed to sell him as he didn't like it as sub. First keeper hurt his finger, was out for a week, so this guy got one last game. Guess which game it was...yep, his bloody 50th, I'd forgotten all about it :(

Archived