Bringing shirt / squad numbers out of retirement

Now whilst I totally respect the retiring of shirt numbers due to the passing of a player (Foe - Man City, Moore - West Ham, though the latter took a disrespectful delay between the event and the gesture), I hate with a passion the "No.12 is for the fans!" bullsxxt. It is patronising & naff, and only the intellectually low-brow can surely get anything from the gesture. So I would like the option of giving No.12 to one of my top 15 players, actually!.

This is not a criticism of FM, more a view in the IRL situation. Maybe at the start of a season a manager can be offered to un-retire a shirt? (though would clubs re-assess these things IRL?). Maybe by un-retiring a respectfully retired shirt (for a fallen ex hero) there could be a fan backlash in the game but if that also happened for un-retiring the "Fans Shirt" then the whole thing would become pointless anyway.

Actually this whole issue bothers me, if there were ever (and hopefully there never will be) another Munich 58 / Torino type disaster there would probably be media pressure to make the gesture for all the shirt numbers affected.

Please, whilst this Post may not be the best ever it is not intended to cause any offence however I should like to know if others share the "Shirt for the Fans" view.

Q.P.R have the number 37 retired to the fans

I know QPR retired 31 for Ray Jones, but are you sure about 37?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retired_numbers_in_football_(soccer)

EDIT: And, as for the OP, I agree that the 'for the fans' is stupid (Remember one of the old FIFA games slogan?) and maybe it would be good to have the option to use retired shirt numbers at the risk of backlash. Maybe the ability to retire after a certain period of time, or save a number only for star players.

I can't think of a team in any sport that has un-retired a number.

However, you can use the pre-game editor to change the retired numbers of a specific team, so if you know, for example, that a team you want to manage has retired #12, you could un-retire it via the editor.

Numbers have come out of retirement, just like Foe at the French club, I think it's Lyon, so I wouldn't have a problem with this option really.

Besides, if West ham really gave a sod about Bobby Moore they would've put the Bobby Moore fund on their shirts when they lost the sponsor ages ago.

i have only noticed this with portsmouth. i think it a great idea acctualy that the fans are the 12th man so ity makes sense for them to retire that number as in giving it to the fans for them. cant really say it a problem as some players between 1 -15 aint even first team players i would hate my starting line up to have the numbers 1-11

i have only noticed this with portsmouth. i think it a great idea acctualy that the fans are the 12th man so ity makes sense for them to retire that number as in giving it to the fans for them. cant really say it a problem as some players between 1 -15 aint even first team players i would hate my starting line up to have the numbers 1-11

Yeah my best player wears number 40.

Hartlepool have no.25 retired for Michael Maidens who died a few years back. I know Bournemouth have a number retired for the fans as well. Personally I don't really care. There are 99 numbers to choose from and I don't really "hate" certain numbers.

Which club has that (the NO. 12 for the fans)? Never seen this, have seen the retirement numbers etc.

No idea how to bring them out of retirement, guessing it is not possible, maybe in the editor.

Plymouth have it. I only just realised from the OP that number 12 was for the fans. I thought they'd retired it for a legend.

Kind of naff now i know...

Which club has that (the NO. 12 for the fans)? Never seen this, have seen the retirement numbers etc.

No idea how to bring them out of retirement, guessing it is not possible, maybe in the editor.

Also Club Brugge (Belgium) has number 12 for the fans and also retired number 23 as a sign of respect for Sterchélé who died last year in a car accident.

I doubt it's possible to remove it though... you should start editing.

Archived