Ridiculously difficult

Hi

I am playing Aris Salonika and have been playing FM09 for 2-3 weeks and I always get sacked in the second year and I am getting frustrated. There is this stupid pattern where I lead the match till the final five minutes and the opposition ALWAYS either equalise or beat me in extra time. SHortly after a few results likt that I get sacked and start all over again, it has been happening for too long.

I have ran out of ideas of what to do, my recruiting and tactics seem solid I have been playing FM for three years now, and this one is ridiculously hard. I just don't know what to do, any ideas to improve my game?

TIA

Sometimes watching your games in full can help you notice problems with your tactics.

I like to create 5 tactics...I have my basic tactic (normal), an attacking version, and a defensive version. I also do an all-out attack tactic with a slight change or two in formation (which may require a sub), and a ultra-defensive tactic with 5 at the back and the ball being played down the flanks to my wingers (to combat 4-2-4 and other AI tactics at the end of a hard match).

Tweak each until they work.Have patience.

Sometimes watching your games in full can help you notice problems with your tactics.

I like to create 5 tactics...I have my basic tactic (normal), an attacking version, and a defensive version. I also do an all-out attack tactic with a slight change or two in formation (which may require a sub), and a ultra-defensive tactic with 5 at the back and the ball being played down the flanks to my wingers (to combat 4-2-4 and other AI tactics at the end of a hard match).

Tweak each until they work.Have patience.

Your missing the point, you shouldnt need to be a tactical genius to play what essentially is a game!

i began unemployed and i was offered the job of Bloem Celtic in South Africa.

First season i ended avoiding relegation.My objective was top half finish.Fine...the team need to gell and all other things.

During the first season i bought some great players.My team now in second season is way better then the one in the first season.

But still they won't play.Now i don't know what tactic should i give them to make them play.Should I go attacking or defensive?Normal?( and even now after a season they still ''have not yet developed a good level of understanding'' what?a whole year?in second season i just bought 2 players and haven;t sell anybody

I won't win because of my tactics or my players??.Why i don't see this things?If i see the match in full time i see if i must go more attacking or defensive.But in 2008,2007 this was not a problem.Full match?Madness...

If i am defensive and he attacks me...i let him to attack me or his team is just stronger then mine.And i find myself just changing tactics...i have 3 tactics:defensive,normal and attacking.

In other fm's i didn't have these problems.Is getting me maaaad

I am playing away...i play attacking and he attacks me...what should i do?aa..i don't know...i must watch the full match to realise where the problem is(more defensive and cautios or just be patient...the gol will come)

Your missing the point, you shouldnt need to be a tactical genius to play what essentially is a game!

Do you expect to just play the standard 4-4-2 and win every game then?

A large part of this game is about tactics, followed by transfer nouse.

This isnt FIFA or PES where you control every move on the pitch :)

I just got sacked again.

This time in the last five games everytime I hit the post point blank range the opposition rammed in 3-4 goals.

Tactics I am using are fine and they are all trained appropraitely. If I am down a goal at home I go to all out attack, if I am leading by a goal I wate time.. I drop one or two AM back deep and drop the last line of defence back deep as well. Nothing is working.. I just keep getting sacked it's driving me insane. :(

In 9.2 the best form of defence is to attack, I've not seen many people having lots of success with defensive or possession style tactics when they're trying to hold on to a 1 goal advantage.

If this is true it is completely ridiculous though and it actually destroyes any realism that is left in this game.

I just believe that any attack, defensive or attacking, taking it to its extremes creates more problems than it solves. The extreme defending and extreme attacking tactics should be used for really brief amounts of time.

A more balanced approach with defensive mentality quite lower, a slower pace, no forward runs, long passing or short passing (in a wider mentality), use of a playmaker to hold the ball (to win some fouls and time) are some tactics that have proven succesful for me. For sure, the whole tactical side of the game and it's importance is not at all well thought out, but it gives us some tools that we can use, even though they mostly come out of trial and error.

I am really hoping that SI takes into consideration it's tactical system and actually change it to make it resemble -for a little at least- real football.

I just got sacked again.

This time in the last five games everytime I hit the post point blank range the opposition rammed in 3-4 goals.

Tactics I am using are fine and they are all trained appropraitely. If I am down a goal at home I go to all out attack, if I am leading by a goal I wate time.. I drop one or two AM back deep and drop the last line of defence back deep as well. Nothing is working.. I just keep getting sacked it's driving me insane. :(

If your tactics aren't working then it seems to follow that they are lacking somewhere.. that or the players themselves.

You don't... I dont know if the tactics are "not intuitive" as I dont mess around with them but Im definitely not a genious and I win enough :p Even if I start the season losing I always end up winning after a few matches... (always insist in the same tactics :p)

Theres a good thread on this in the Tactics forum http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84284

Suffice to say, I do feel this game has lost its way. Which is a shame as its probably the best game they've released for a number of years - apart from the tactical side. The value of tactics is far too high compared to bringing in quality players and for me, world class players will adapt to most tactics to win games.

What it boils down to for me, and I said this a couple of days ago, as a game its losing its enjoyment level. Apart from a minority who get a real kick out of minute tactical control and tweaking, the fact the majority cannot just load this game up and use a simpler tactical interface with the enjoyment of assembling a squad will ultimately kill the franchise.

I'm really hoping that FM10 starts to move away from sliders and more to a drop down list of player instructions, because the importance of having your "MCa" set to an 13 rather than 12 on mentality (as an example) is well overplayed by the current game. That level of tactical control and setup really shouldn't determine whether you win or lose at West Brom.

Just my thoughts.

Theres a good thread on this in the Tactics forum http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=84284

Suffice to say, I do feel this game has lost its way. Which is a shame as its probably the best game they've released for a number of years - apart from the tactical side. The value of tactics is far too high compared to bringing in quality players and for me, world class players will adapt to most tactics to win games.

I'm really hoping that FM10 starts to move away from sliders and more to a drop down list of player instructions, because the importance of having your "MCa" set to an 13 rather than 12 on mentality (as an example) is well overplayed by the current game. That level of tactical control and setup really shouldn't determine whether you win or lose at West Brom.

Just my thoughts.

Agree with these 2 points!! I mean, in real-life football, let's say the opposition plays with 1 striker, you should be able to tell your 2 centre-backs: Player X mark the player and Player Y help him out whenever necessary and be in charge of possession + distribution of ball etc. A box for each player, where you can drag in as many instructions as necessary would be ideal.

Agree with these 2 points!! I mean, in real-life football, let's say the opposition plays with 1 striker, you should be able to tell your 2 centre-backs: Player X mark the player and Player Y help him out whenever necessary and be in charge of possession + distribution of ball etc. A box for each player, where you can drag in as many instructions as necessary would be ideal.

That would still need the right combination of instructions to work. The complete system needs changing for years now.

In real life you don't sit down with Canavaro and spend half an hour explaining him where to stand, what to do, to move a little forward and things like that. He knows his job, he is a defender. Managers give more general instructions and only when they want something really complicated and specific they will try to be more picky. The same goes for all positions. Sure, young players would need more guidance but this doesn't happen mostly on the pitch but in training.

Tactics system as it is now has nothing to do with real life, unfortunately.

I think a combination of the previous two (very good) posts is the way to go. Tactics should be more general, the team understands how to play together based on those. Then, maybe in combination with opposition instructions, there should be a selection of options for individual players based on specific situations in an upcoming game. You may want to tell Gerrard to stay deep today to guard against the threat of Messi.

Archived