Worst you felt after a Loss?

I will always remember on FM06, I was Gimnastic from Spain, I bought Morientes and Reyes and both we amazing....All I needed to win the League was to beat bottom side Real Mallorca who were relegated away from home....Barcelona and Valencia were behind me but i didn't fear them....I took the lead early on (Forgot who scored it) and dominated the game....I was really happy with myself from bringing this small team to a La Liga title and Europe...But....:mad:

Last minute i conceded a penalty...I was shocked!...I was wishing he missed....HE DID MISS...But he scored the rebound...I then looked at the other scores...Barcelona were losing but Valencia won 4-0 and won the title on head-to-head...(Win and Draw)...I was devested and resigned after the game!....I was so distaught that I cancelled plans with my Girlfriend and Friends!...Awful I know but at least I went drinking the next day! :o

What was the worst you took defeat?

I have never been that successful of a manager, so my worst defeat has come in one of the few chances at actually winning something. It was the final of the Dutch Cup, my AZ Alkmaar had been excellent playing in the Cup. We had defeated Ajax 3-2 at home, and PSV 4-3 at home in overtime. The final was against FC Twente, the third placed team in the league. The chance of winning a trophy (and the 4 million dollar prize) looked very enticing.

Match day came, and it saw my team come back from a 2-0 deficit, tie it 2-2 in the 87th minute, and getting an opposing player sent off in the 90th minute. All during the overtime period I had my team attacking like crazy, there must have been some fifteen shots on goal. Nonetheless I couldn't score, but I wasn't worried because I had 5 penalty takers with at least a 16 penalty taking stat. They all scored, awesome!

But, FC Twente didn't miss either. So it all came down to OT penalty kicks. The Twente player goes first and scores. Then my 6th shooter goes up, an 18 year old Brazilian fullback (with 14 pk stat), I guess the pressure got to him, and he kicked it wide. Just like that, my chance at winning a trophy, and the sweet prize money was gone!

A play off final in 9.1.0. I was winning 2-1 up until like the 80th minute, when the computer pressed it's "I win" button and a player with 6 long shots scored 2 30 yard screamers. What's worse is that I hit the woodwork like 5 times and dominated possession...

However because I was so annoyed and felt cheated, I reloaded the game and won 1-0 second time around. I hate to do that but just did it out of frustration and felt better for it...

League 1 Playoff Semi-Finals for me. After tying 2-2 in the home leg, I quickly put in 2 of the first half of the away leg. So I'm 4-2 on aggregrate going into second half. I'm scared to death of the halftime talk (really bad history with AI teams making amazing/frustrating comebacks in promotion playoffs), I go with pleased and my team blows the lead in second half. We give up two goals, second of which was deep into injury time. Now 4-4 on aggregrate and extra time. I'm literally pacing around the room and screaming at my computer. My goalie is doing cartwheels and standing on his head to keep goals out. It looks destined for PKs until the AI manages to fire in a goal in the 119th minute.

Some similar gut-wrenching variation of the story has happened to me in countless League playoffs. I always lose, and usually by some amazing comeback, or I just get crushed by multiple goals.

Although I have many agonising, sould-destroying, gut-wrenching, tear-inducing losses in my time as a FM addict I will tell you the story of a recent one.

I'm currently the manager of Leeds United in 12-13. In the Premiership.

The match in question was the League Cup Semi-Final against Chelsea.

1st leg at Stamford Bridge. I was written off from the start. I was told that it was going to be a flood of goals for Chelsea but I had faith in my side (which included Alex Teixeira who had just made it onto the World Team of the Year as a subistitute after 10 goals in 16 games).

I ended up losing 2-1 with a brace from Karl Storbaek (a generated player, probably the best one on the game! Chelsea payed £36.5 mil for him!) and a goal from Teixeira.

I was pleased. Not only because it gave me an away goal and a good chance but because I proved the doubters wrong.

The second leg came about (as it always does :p) and all I needed was a 1-0 win which according to the press was as likely as Adolf Hitler being voted Nicest Person in History.

3 minutes in MARQUINHOS! 1-0 the score I needed! I went fairly mad but new there were 87 minutes left so I remained fairly calm.

The minutes went by until...

39 mins: Essien intercepts, Cork to Sahar... GOAL! I was gutted but it was one of them goals where from the start of the piece of commentary you knows it's coming.

Half Time came and I told them that they only needed 1 more goal to take it to ET and Pens. Which to me is quite often a lottery and is a great leveller between minnows and giants.

47 mins: Mazzarani... Goal! 2-1 to Chelsea. To me it was pretty much over. I needed 3 goals against a side that hadn't conceded since the first leg (and before that it was 3 matches).

I decided to go a bit more attacking and if I got a goal back just go for it!

72 mins: Cavenaghi! GOAL! 2-2!!!! Straight away I tried to go more attacking and push players up...

81 mins: Rafael van der Vaart! 3-2 to Leeds! I needed one more goal!

Unfortunately it didn't come even when Lobont (GK) went up to join the attack in the 96th minute!

Although not a loss it was a loss on away goals and the one that has hurt most this season.

Although I have many agonising, sould-destroying, gut-wrenching, tear-inducing losses in my time as a FM addict I will tell you the story of a recent one.

I'm currently the manager of Leeds United in 12-13. In the Premiership.

The match in question was the League Cup Semi-Final against Chelsea.

1st leg at Stamford Bridge. I was written off from the start. I was told that it was going to be a flood of goals for Chelsea but I had faith in my side (which included Alex Teixeira who had just made it onto the World Team of the Year as a subistitute after 10 goals in 16 games).

I ended up losing 2-1 with a brace from Karl Storbaek (a generated player, probably the best one on the game! Chelsea payed £36.5 mil for him!) and a goal from Teixeira.

I was pleased. Not only because it gave me an away goal and a good chance but because I proved the doubters wrong.

The second leg came about (as it always does :p) and all I needed was a 1-0 win which according to the press was as likely as Adolf Hitler being voted Nicest Person in History.

3 minutes in MARQUINHOS! 1-0 the score I needed! I went fairly mad but new there were 87 minutes left so I remained fairly calm.

The minutes went by until...

39 mins: Essien intercepts, Cork to Sahar... GOAL! I was gutted but it was one of them goals where from the start of the piece of commentary you knows it's coming.

Half Time came and I told them that they only needed 1 more goal to take it to ET and Pens. Which to me is quite often a lottery and is a great leveller between minnows and giants.

47 mins: Mazzarani... Goal! 2-1 to Chelsea. To me it was pretty much over. I needed 3 goals against a side that hadn't conceded since the first leg (and before that it was 3 matches).

I decided to go a bit more attacking and if I got a goal back just go for it!

72 mins: Cavenaghi! GOAL! 2-2!!!! Straight away I tried to go more attacking and push players up...

81 mins: Rafael van der Vaart! 3-2 to Leeds! I needed one more goal!

Unfortunately it didn't come even when Lobont (GK) went up to join the attack in the 96th minute!

Although not a loss it was a loss on away goals and the one that has hurt most this season.

That's when I would take a baseball bat to my PC. That one's like the CPU taunting you. "Oh, you think you're going to win, pathetic human? Watch this." Then it makes you lose on aggregate.

I've always said that the CPU will cheat at will sometimes and I've taken some fire for it (here and on other boards), but I do really believe that the CPU will sometimes decide that it's going to win and there's nothing you can do about it.

I've played enough games on enough systems over the years to have some solid evidence to back that theory up. Sports games seem to be the worst as far as CPU cheating goes.

That's when I would take a baseball bat to my PC. That one's like the CPU taunting you. "Oh, you think you're going to win, pathetic human? Watch this." Then it makes you lose on aggregate.

I've always said that the CPU will cheat at will sometimes and I've taken some fire for it (here and on other boards), but I do really believe that the CPU will sometimes decide that it's going to win and there's nothing you can do about it.

I've played enough games on enough systems over the years to have some solid evidence to back that theory up. Sports games seem to be the worst as far as CPU cheating goes.

I don't know about cheating, but League Playoffs and Tournaments definitely seem destined for some type of dramatic ending. Usually in a tragic way for me unfortunately.

not a loss but i was disgusted with a draw against blackburn in my second match of the season as newcastle manager, i was winning two one after pulling back from going behind and it was the 87th minute when given took a kick from his hands and it smacked into a blackburn forward and that forward scored from there. Gutted by that

On Fm 2007 me and my friend had a game of epic proportions I was Chelsea he was United. I was top for most part of the season winning the league cup and clear by around 5points with my pal 8 points off the pace, we then met in the Champions league semi-final were he beat me on aggregate, I though not to worry but I then crumbled in the league with poor form and on the last day with me 2 points clear of my close rival I went into the game knowing a draw or better and the title was mine. Having won his game 3-0 I was under pressure and was at locking's with Fulham 2-2 with 10 minutes to go the title was mine until......a wonder strike from Kevin Kilbane shot into the top corner, ripped my heart out my chest and ****ed on my pride. My mate rubbed it in like their was no tomorrow. I got a consolation by hammering him 5-1 in the FA Cup final, however till this day we still talk about it and I will forever hold a grudge against Mr Kilbane :(

League 1 Playoff Semi-Finals for me. After tying 2-2 in the home leg, I quickly put in 2 of the first half of the away leg. So I'm 4-2 on aggregrate going into second half. I'm scared to death of the halftime talk (really bad history with AI teams making amazing/frustrating comebacks in promotion playoffs), I go with pleased and my team blows the lead in second half. We give up two goals, second of which was deep into injury time. Now 4-4 on aggregrate and extra time. I'm literally pacing around the room and screaming at my computer. My goalie is doing cartwheels and standing on his head to keep goals out. It looks destined for PKs until the AI manages to fire in a goal in the 129th minute.

Some similar gut-wrenching variation of the story has happened to me in countless League playoffs. I always lose, and usually by some amazing comeback, or I just get crushed by mulitple goals.

119th Minute?...unless injury time

I also hate it when the AI makes amazing comebacks...its asif the games have been fixed from the start

Top of the league (with my beloved Liverpool) by goal difference with Man Utd in second place. Last game of the season against Everton (of all the f*&(ng clubs!!) and I drew 1-1 away from home. United beat Villa 2-1 at Villa Park with a 90+2 minutes OG!!!!!!

So in short, our bitterest rivals made us loose the league to our biggest rivals!!

Sick doesn't describe it.

Champions League final with Man Utd against Bayern Munich, I expected something special. At that time I wasn't a very strong team in the Premier League, finishing a good deal of points behind Arsenal after a total collapse in the closing stages of the season. A good cup run was my only chance for silverware, and my CL campaign which saw me knock out the likes of Real Madrid by going from 5 down at half time in the Bernabeu to 5-4 and then clinching a 1-0 at home.

I start out well against Bayern, dominating possession and taking the game to them. The ball rarely left their half, and I created many quality chances, be it still at a considered pace. About the 37'th minute, Bayern mount their first attack in the game, a counter attack of course with the way things were going. Brown allowed too much space for a cross and that clumsy, yet deadly, tower Luca Toni easily heads it home. Cold. I was a bit downhearted but I knew I still had a lot of time and my team was playing so well there was no way I would end the game goalless. Or so I thought.

We completely battered them, getting shots in from all over the place. But Bayern had 11 men in their own box for the rest of the game, clearing close range shots from the line, getting in last ditch tackles. It was madness, shots against the post and back into play, the rebound getting blocked and the rebound of the rebound getting saved. Headers against the bar, volleys just wide, long range shots getting deflected and cleared off the line again. The last 30 minutes was "no holding back". There was a war waging inside Bayern's box. A 30 minute non stop assault at a blistering pace. I kept pouring more and more men forward, deep into injury time. Van der Sar came up for the 7584'th corner in the dying seconds. In came the cross, VdS heads it and... wide. Game over, Bayern were Champions of Europe with a single, deadly stroke.

I was exhausted, frustrated and furious with the game. How could I dominate the game that much, and get so many chances it could've ended 15-1 and still not score a single goal? Football, bloody hell. Only this time the Man Utd manager wasn't laughing when he said it.

well after being destroyed by everton i played my next game against ac milan who were a second seeded team. started out well with a podolski goal. huntelaar the gets another 1 2 minutes later. veloso free-kick just before half time 3-0 to me. start of the second half they pull it back to 3-1. kaka long ball header by nesta. torres takes on ac's whole defence and scores a brilliant goal labelled the goal of the season. 4-1 in the 60th minute. corner whipped in by veloso carra header, 5-1. game over in the 64th minute. straight away kaka counters 5-2. 65 mins gone 5-2 to me. then they get another 1 in the 73rd minute by kaka again. 5-3. they then score 3 goals in injury time by kaka, ronaldinho and inzaghi. and there was an amazing 4 minutes added time and they won the game in the 7th.

was liverpool was in the champions league final for first time o3 or 04 i think it was i forgot who i played in the final but i had a cracking team with a midfield better than any other team kapo, park ji sung and wright phillips and i cant rememeber the name of the last player wish i did. never had the best final gave away alot of possesion went down 1-0 came back 1-1 again went down 2-1 then in the 89th min i think his name was tim sparv a young lad i had bought and tryedto make a first teamer scored.... was so happy... went to pens and they went on forever goalkeeepers had took pens and people were retaking pens i think it was something like 16-15 i lossed was soooo devestated felt like crying my eyes out i think i went to my bedroom and just stayed there for hours not eating or anything it was like mourning the loss of a family member that pain. that was at the heigh of my FM addiction

Archived