Historical scenarios

I have no idea if this has idea has been considered for Football Manager before - I rather expect that it has, or that it should have been at least - but I think that a very welcome addition to future editions of Football Manager will be that of historical scenarios and challenges. Apologies if this has been suggested numerous times before and struck down for very good reasons, but I thought that I would float the idea to get the opinions and ideas for others.

They could last one season or be focused on just one competition, but the player would take charge of a team at the beginning and be set a challenge to satisfy. I think that it would give a different emphasis to the game - instead of testing the overall management skills of the player by making a need to consider long-term team planning, instead the principal test would be in how well a player manages his team at the tactical level from one game to another. This would be particularly relevant in an international campaign scenario.

There are obviously game size implications inasmuch as each scenario will require a completely separate database, but it need not have the detail as the excellent and comprehensive database for the standard game and SI could make each scenario downloadable or included in an add-on pack so that initial install isn't too cumbersome.

Some of the historical scenarios and challenges could be:

To manage Wanderers to victory in the first FA Cup in 1871/2.

To manage Preston North End in the first league season in 1888/9.

To manage Real Madrid in the 1950s.

To surpass Tottenham's league record in 1960/1.

To manage the North Korean team in the 1966 World Cup.

To surpass Blyth Spartans' FA Cup exploits in 1977/8.

To play as Ally McLeod and manage Scotland to victory in the World Cup in 1978.

To play as Alex Ferguson and attempt to avoid the sack in charge of Manchester United in 1990.

To take Norwich City to win the first Premiership in 1992/3.

Hopefully it would give an extra dimension to the game, encourage modders to create their own scenarios and give the game greater durability.

And it's nostalgic.

It will be a challenge for SI's research team anyway! :)

I wonder how practical it is? I am not acquainted with computer programming, so I don't know how it would offend the hard-coded part of the game. I wonder how hardball the transfer and contract negotiations could be in 1888? ;)

I'd rather any of these be released separately though. Some of us probably won't play it at all and would rather not pay more for the main game for that. If SI are willing to do this as a separate product/add-on, then I don't see why not.

Yeah I think that might be quite interesting. I enjoy these features on other games.

One that sticks out in my mind is the SmackDown! vs Raw games. They usually have a mode that is basically this and you go back and have to do certain matches from past WrestleMania's.

International Superstar Soccer (PES) had this is also and it added an extra dimension. When you were bored of playing matches etc. I always found it quite interesting and stimulating! THere was one particular one where it was injury time and you had a corner, you had to come from 1-0 and win 2-1! Boy that was frustrating!

I think I would probably pay for a separate release. As long as it was up to FM standards.

Archived