When changing tactics, do you know what you are doing?

When you open the tactics menu, do you know what you are doing?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. When you open the tactics menu, do you know what you are doing?

• Yes, I can see that my passing style / mentality / width is two notches too far to the right
    • Almost, I can see what is going wrong, and I think I understand how to change it
    • No. I know what I want to achieve but don't know how to change the sliders to do that!
    • No. I don't even know where it is going wrong, so I just try something completely random
    • Tactics? I don't even bother

Scenario: Your team is getting dominated, you're losing the ball with every pass, you're losing the match. You open up the tactics menu...

My answer: I don't have a clue what is going on and why I'm winning/losing games. I've got good tactical knowledge but I find it too difficult to translate this into what works in the game. At the same time, watching the match, even in 3D, it is really hard to work out what sliders are working/not working for me.

Why am I asking?

I just want to see what other people's views are on tactics and whether you think the current system actually works.

It depends on what sort of game it is. If it's easy and I'm comfortably winning I know I don't need to change anything tactically and just bring players off so they can have a rest. If I'm being dominated like you said, then I might just pause the game and watch it from the beginning to try and find a flaw in my current tactic. Then If I find one I would then try and change it as good as possible.

The intuitiveness of the tactics screen has been discussed lots, you might be better off using one of the existing threads about it rather than anoter whinge disguised as an extremely weighted poll.

I am aware it has been discussed lots, but I've not seen a poll. As for the weighting, there are 2 answers categorised as 'yes', two as 'no' and one neutral, so I wouldn't call it an extremely weighted poll.

Nor is it a whinge, I like FM 09 but just want a consensus on the tactics system.

I decided to make a go of tactics in this version (something I'd never done before), because I noticed the 3D graphics really helped me see what was going wrong (something that I was unable to do with the 2D). After reading several threads in the tactics forum, especially those explaining the differences of the sliders, I'm starting to understand how things work. I'm not brilliant, but I hired an assistant with a 9 in tactical knowledge and I tried to implement what he advised. At the beginning of the season he made loads of recommendations, but towards the end, he often said he had no comment to make. Must have done something right, as I won the Conference North.

Archived