Finally had a fan day

So, five games to go in the Conference North, I'm sitting top with Harrogate, 4 points clear of Gateshead in 2nd, 15 points clear of Stafford in 3rd.

Board decide game against Stafford is to be a fan day (just to inrease the pressure on the team, who due to a good run in the FA Trophy have been playing their socks off, twice a week for the past four weeks). A crowd of 1036 turn up to see us do a good job, winning 2-0 (to almost clinch the title) and what do my board say?

They don't think it helped. Left me somewhat gobsmacked. What do they want? Blood?

They want to see signs that the fan day will not only increase attendance on that day, but in the future too.

Yeah but how? My average attendence for the season was under 500 and I doubled it for this match, comfortably (albeit clinically beat) the third placed team. Just thought it was a bit mean to write it off as a non-event.

Yeah but how? My average attendence for the season was under 500 and I doubled it for this match, comfortably (albeit clinically beat) the third placed team. Just thought it was a bit mean to write it off as a non-event.

You have to hope they hit a note with the fans: after all a manager can't impact on attendances very much.

Isn't it not about the attendance but the result itself, and how the team played. I would hazzard a guess they wanted you to win by more? Did the oppposition not score but; could of scored many.

Aye, but like I said we were playing the team in 3rd place towards the end of a long, hard season. I was just happy that we were still winning, as injuries were totting up and the players were looking knackered.

I've had a few of these, and the successful ones do seem to be related to the excitement generated by the match. I've even lost games but the game has been exciting enough to get a successful message.

Imagine you're a potential new fan who goes to a fan-day game irl. It's your first experience of watching the team, and they win 2:0, but as you point out above they do it "clinically", and the players "are looking knackered". Result = probable disappointment.

After all, you appreciate it's been a long hard season, and your players have played their socks off, but a new fan doesn't necessarily appreciate that. They probably see the team on the top of the league before the game and actually expect more excitement than they would if you were sitting mid-table.

I've had a few of these, and the successful ones do seem to be related to the excitement generated by the match. I've even lost games but the game has been exciting enough to get a successful message.

Imagine you're a potential new fan who goes to a fan-day game irl. It's your first experience of watching the team, and they win 2:0, but as you point out above they do it "clinically", and the players "are looking knackered". Result = probable disappointment.

After all, you appreciate it's been a long hard season, and your players have played their socks off, but a new fan doesn't necessarily appreciate that. They probably see the team on the top of the league before the game and actually expect more excitement than they would if you were sitting mid-table.

Fair point. Maybe it would be better if the board were to be a bit more detailed in why it wasn't so successful instead of just being so negative in what is basically for them a very successful season.

Archived