The most dramatic game of my career

i'll start by saying... yes im only managing a club in lower leagues and yes its only the second round of the conference league cup but as you will see it was a great game.

whatagame.jpg

It started off well for me, 1-0 up and then they scored 3. The time was going fast so when they scored there third i chnged my play to max attacking. what a decision that was. two goals in stoppage time levelled up the game. I didnt change my tactics at end of 90mins because i thought momentum may give me the game. Came out in extra time and bang bang two goals before half time (extra time) I was ecstatic. thinking yes 3-1 to 5-3 come onnn. but no they score two goals just like i had done. Penalties it was!

Id taken off my two best pen takers. i thought i was screwed. went 4-3 up and could have won it but no he blazes it wide. continues until i miss and they can win the game if they score but no they put it over. Then th ninth pair of penalties. i score they miss and i am through. Thank god for that.

Wow, that must've been great :thup:

Love games like that. In many ways they're far more fun that the massive wins. I can still remember my most exciting ever match. FM07. My Southampton team had reached our first final, the league cup in 2010. Our opponents were Bolton. In the week before it, both my two top goalkeepers got injured, so I was forced to play my 17 y.o. youth keeper, Erik Skistadt. He'd go on to be one of the best in the world, but this was his first ever senior match. I was worried, but it quickly seemed that we had nothing to fear: 2-0 up within 10 minutes, 4-0 up by 60. I had a few important games coming up in the league and UEFA cup, so I took off a couple of my top performers thinking I was comfortable. Big mistake. Their first was a fluke deflection, but their next three, including a 93rd minute equalizer, were the fault of my young keeper. Somehow extra-time remained goalless - both sides missed great chances, and we came down to penalties. With 4 taken, each team had missed one. My player blazed over and I could barely bring to watch, but Skistadt pulled off an incredible save to deny them and take it to sudden death. This time we succeded in scoring, before Skistadt again denied Bolton, and the cup was ours. From vilain to hero in the space of a few minutes. Afterwards, I just sat and stared at the the post-match summary for about 20 minutes, thinking "wow".

Archived