Has anyone had success bringing youngsters into the first team?

By that I mean the original youngsters you start with, not regens or bringing decent youngsters into the Club.

The reason I ask is really down to Freddie Sears scoring for the Hammers on Saturday. I'm in my fourth season in FM and I checked out where he was and what I had done with him. I had flogged him in season 1 and 4 years down the line his stats were awful.

I have 7 star coaches but have never got to grips with the tutoring bit.

So I was wondering if anyone has had success with their original youth players?

By that I mean the original youngsters you start with, not regens or bringing decent youngsters into the Club.

The reason I ask is really down to Freddie Sears scoring for the Hammers on Saturday. I'm in my fourth season in FM and I checked out where he was and what I had done with him. I had flogged him in season 1 and 4 years down the line his stats were awful.

I have 7 star coaches but have never got to grips with the tutoring bit.

So I was wondering if anyone has had success with their original youth players?

On 801, Jonny Howson for Leeds becomes a solid player for me. He was moaning about lack of first team football around 2016, and since van der Vaart and Piatti were injured I thought I'd give him the chance - he scored better averages over the next 12 games than either of them, but when they got better, his performance lapsed. Perhaps he thrives under pressure?

In the bigger teams, I believe Chelsea have Mancienne, Sahar and Sinclair who come through and do a job, and also Paul Anderson and Jack Hobbs at Liverpool; Johnny Evans, Fabian Brany and [a fast left winger/Fwd whose name escapes me] at Man U; with Matthew Connolly and (of course) the ever-reliable Vela at Arsenal - although, they usually flog him for 20m at one point and buy him back for 40m later on.

In general I've had success bringing youngsters through from League 1 to play in the champ and as backup players, but never good enough to play in the Prem.

I started a game as Newcastle and had a couple knocking on the door (Carroll and Edgar for two examples), but haven't continued the game for a while.

It may be that you can only bring prem quality youngsters through if you are a prem team? Can't say, I'm afraid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sussex Hammer:

I have 7 star coaches but have never got to grips with the tutoring bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's not jump to conclusions here, Sears could really be/end up just as good as Francis Jeffers.

All my youngsters aren't original I'm afraid, but I nuture the hell out of them!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DammBDF:

In FM07, on Leeds United side i have a first class winger in the person of Danny Rose (the only player from the start of the game that i didn't give up). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's in Spurs reserves now isn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else?

As for the main topic, alot of it depends on their potential. Liverpool have quite a few youngsters from the start of the game who (as of 8.0.2) can become really quite awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Equium:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DammBDF:

In FM07, on Leeds United side i have a first class winger in the person of Danny Rose (the only player from the start of the game that i didn't give up). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for the main topic, alot of it depends on their potential. Liverpool have quite a few youngsters from the start of the game who (as of 8.0.2) can become really quite awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amoo for example, usually turns out pretty decent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chaddy101:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Equium:

As for the main topic, alot of it depends on their potential. Liverpool have quite a few youngsters from the start of the game who (as of 8.0.2) can become really quite awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amoo for example, usually turns out pretty decent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he gets alot of MOTM awards for the U18 games. And Krisztián Németh. I think it's Nathan Eccleston who gets pretty good also - along with Lauri Dalla Valle.

As does, not surprisingly, Arsenal.

Although, tbh most the Arsenal youngsters actually arent good enough for arsenal because you nearly always have a first team player, much better, with better potential.... whos only 3 yeras older then the youngster anyway lol.

I think lower league managers get a lot of this. Was in league 2 and I did have 2 or 3 guys comming through and played well all through their carreer. But thats in league 2 and 1 only. I'm sure in the PML it would be much harder

Danny Rose is at Tottenham and they paid £1 million for him from Leeds and he still is pretty good.

In older games at Valencia I had Silva come through the ranks and of course he is now one of the best in the world.

I have a good Leeds game at the moment and never get any decent youngsters come through that I start with, Howson & Rothery are ok but not good enough.

John Fleck at Rangers is a good one to bring through the ranks and does become a 1st teamer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sussex Hammer:

The reason I ask is really down to Freddie Sears scoring for the Hammers on Saturday. I'm in my fourth season in FM and I checked out where he was and what I had done with him. I had flogged him in season 1 and 4 years down the line his stats were awful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really depends on the players. I tend to find myself scouting Sears at the end of the first season because he usually does well in the WH U-18's, but I'm always told he's got low potential. Obviously, as far as the researcher is concerned, Sears is currently a very good player for his age, but indications were that he wasn't going to succeed at a high level; this may change for the next FM courtesy of his break-through - but as far as the game is concerned he's not going to make it.

If, as a Hammers fan, you always play with West Ham, then part of your problem may actually be with your academy team. I don't think they're rated all that highly (the exception being Jordan Spence), which is quite a suprise, as West Ham have a reasonable reputation for bringing through young talent courtesy of their links with Senrab

He's in Spurs reserves now isn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else?...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, in FM2008 he begins with the Spurs... icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flair:

Although, tbh most the Arsenal youngsters actually arent good enough for arsenal because you nearly always have a first team player, much better, with better potential.... whos only 3 yeras older then the youngster anyway lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pfft! Get rid of them and replace them with the fledgling!

Bye Bye Gael!

Really depends on the club you're starting with really.

Obviously some of the big clubs have some good talented youngsters who are worth keeping. Otherwise, many of the lower league youth players are a waste of resources, so I just get rid of them and leave it to the "greys" until I can afford to bring better youth talent in myself or wait for any regens.

I'm a little bit yes and no on this one.

I buy young players, who fit straight into my first team, and then keep them right into their 30's. Unless, they decide to leave, I get an offer I cant refuse, they don't "fit" with my team, or a better player comes along.

But I don't buy often.

Currently my line up looks like this..

GK - 14th season, 30 years old, spent his entire career with me.

DL - 5th season, (2nd Spell), 29 years old. I had him when he was young, board sold him, bought him back 5 years later.

DR - 1st season, 18 years old, new signing. Replaced 9 season 29 year old

DC - 1st season, 17 years old, youth product, replaced 13 season 33 year old

DC - 1st season, 17 years old, new signing, replaced 8 season 26 year old.

AMR - 5th season, 27 years old, replaced 21 year old who got sold for big money

AML - 4th season, 23 years old, replaced 16 season 33 year old

AMC - 4th season, 19 years old, youth product, replaced 9 season 31 year old

MC - 7th season, 22 years old, great Czech player, replaced 3 season youngster

ST - 1st season, 19 years old, this position is transferred often for hope of new "stars". This player is fitting the bill. About the only position that gets changed regular.

ST - 4th season, 19 years old, replaced 38 year old 22 season legend.

I also have 9 rotation players who are in their 7th season or longer, and 4 others with 5 seasons. I rarely change my squad, but always try and bring in youth.

Dixon at spurs. Robbie Keane was his tutor. Keane got injured the day before a big euro match in my first season, and Dixon, being my top scorer in the U/18's, with 17 goals in 11 starts, is given his chance, ahead of third choice striker Darren Bent. He Scores a Hattrick against Bayern Leverkusen and hasn't been taken out of my first 16 since, im currently in the 3rd season. Danny Rose is also knocking on the door for first team starts, and Jonathen Fleck, who I bought from rangers is doing well in the reserves, along with his centre midfield partner John Bostock. My aim is to have an entire team made up of player iv had from before they were 18 by the tenth season, that can challenge for the League title.

I've had a long running Everton save where I think I had three youth players come through and do well, and a keeper who came into my youth in the second season who went on to be England's No.1. I think it's partially down to luck, and how you run your teams (obviously)

My strategy has changed with me starting a new game.

Starting as Lyon, my new strategy is to be the Wenger of Ligue 1.

I've started increasing my youth facilities, taking a more active role in youth development and made sure all my training is 7 stars.

I picked up a scout with 20 potential ability, then sent him out to all the clubs with youth academies to scour their youth programs. I also sent another scout out with high potential ability and had him search regions looking only for those that are under 18.

Lyon starts out with pretty good youngsters, but I've been spending my transfer budgets on youngsters, scooping up most of the known youngsters.

Saivet, Trecarichi, Camacho, Altidore, Torje, and some other highly-rated youngsters are now too old for the U-18's, so I've got them out on selected loans. I usually loan out for a year, maybe two if it's to a good team, then I start working them in as backups to the first-team.

I've noticed once I appointed a really good Ass Man, he's been giving me good advice on what youngsters would benefit from what tutoring, that's helped out a lot.

'Course all this will be all for naught if Chelsea comes calling for me to take over for Avram Grant!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nigel Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band:

When was the last time Liverpool for example had a player that came through the youth team and became established - Gerrard, Carragher? So 10 years

Man U? O'Shea,Fletcher - hardly world beaters

Chelsea? John Terry -again 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offence but i don't really get your point.

1-2 top class players in 10 years isn't bad. You can't expect a club to come up with a full first 11 of great quality young players.

West ham are the only team to have come close to that but they sold their players like Lampard Joe cole.

Btw Man u had Beckham Scholes Giggs Butt in the 90's. Thats pretty good.

It may be a while ago but it can happen again.

On topic . There are quite a few of Barca players you can bring into the first team in1-2 seasons. Dos Santos, Bojan obviously. But also Asulin, Iago, Olzabal.

[i've noticed once I appointed a really good Ass Man, he's been giving me good advice on what youngsters would benefit from what tutoring, that's helped out a lot.

How do you get your ass man to tell you this, i have never seen this feature before

cheers

Sweeney, just check out your coach report from the player page. If your Ass Man has a recommendation to make, he'll make it in the report.

BE CAREFUL THOUGH, if you've already had your young player learn from a senior player, and they had a falling out, the Ass Man doesn't care, he'll continue to recommend that your youngster will benefit from learning from the senior player.

This happened to my young GK Olazebel I signed, I had him learn from Coupet, they didn't get along, and I forgot. I check Olazebel's coach report, my Ass Man suggested that Olazebel would benefit from being tutored by Coupet, I suggested it, and then Olazebel ended up disliking me. He asked for a transfer and was really unhappy.

i went back to my sevilla game recently. i forgot that at the start of the second season, i signed 3 San Marino 16 year olds (CB, AMC & ST). all three are rated highly as far as potential is concerned. i'll be blooding them in the uefa cup group stages for sure.

i also got Henri Lansbury into the england team by playing him ahead of hleb for arsenal.

lee hale and jordan spence are keeping matthew upson and kieron dyer out of the west ham team in the 2nd season,

jsmes tomkins and zavon hines are also pushing for starting places but have anton ferdinand and dean ashton infront of them

Archived