FM09 is down to £19.99 at GAME. Would you recommend it?

I downloaded the demo and played for a short while, but got annoyed by a lot of things and removed said demo.

I've read nothing but problems on these forums about FM09* for the past month or two, and a lot of people seem to be having trouble just getting the game to start (activation and all that).

Is it worth buying the game now, with 9.2.0 patch available?

I've done without any FM now for a while and I'm starting to get itchy fingers but don't want to be left bitterly disappointed by the problems loads of people seem to be facing. Are these problems ultimately avoidable if I do things right? Or are some discs just doomed to fail?

Would you recommend the game to me now? Or go back to FM08?

Give me the hard sell. :thup::D

PS - I've played FM for years (since CM4)

* tbf, the reason we're seeing so many people complaining of problems is because the satisfied customers (of which there are plenty, I have no doubt) see no need to come on the forums and start threads; because they're happy with the game

As far as installation/activation problems, I had none.

As far as bugs/other problems go, I can't believe this game actually made it to the assembly line. Patches help little by little but by and large, as far as I've experienced, there are still plenty of things that need to be addressed.

I'd still buy it though.

Oh yeah... DON'T USE STEAM. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

It's not the £20 price tag that matters (I put that in the title to grab attention), I'm just worried about what happens after I buy the game.

I'm totally behind SI and the FM series, and have loved it for years (you can happily call me a fanboy). But I'm also a quick tempered, grumpy bastard and would hate to be on here moaning in a couple of days time about my "repeated failure at just trying to START this bloody game!!!"

If I'm careful, can I avoid all these activation issues?

It's not the £20 price tag that matters (I put that in the title to grab attention), I'm just worried about what happens after I buy the game.

I'm totally behind SI and the FM series, and have loved it for years (you can happily call me a fanboy). But I'm also a quick tempered, grumpy bastard and would hate to be on here moaning in a couple of days time about my "repeated failure at just trying to START this bloody game!!!"

There shouldn't be any activation issues now. It was a DoS and a complete overload that caused the problems.

Just dont rush the installation process and make sure you use uniloc, Ive heard nothing but good things about uniloc and I know steam caused me and my mates alot of issues so...its up to you

But once I'm past the activation issues (or lack of, depending on my luck), the game itself is very good, no?

The demo was average, but a game can't be judged by the demo and FM09 is two patches old now...

The demo felt incomplete but in my opinion the game (post patches) feels complete and, other than my laggy 2D classic, feels perfect.

Yeah, I tried the 3D on the demo and decided it wasn't for me (because my laptop isn't fantastic), but in fairness; I never had 3D to begin with so I won't miss it until I've a better system (by which time SI will have made a better 3D mode!). 2D classic seemed the way to go.

Looks like I'll be buying it tomorrow, all being well and we're not snowed in... :D

Is it worth buying the game now, with 9.2.0 patch available?

I've done without any FM now for a while and I'm starting to get itchy fingers but don't want to be left bitterly disappointed by the problems loads of people seem to be facing. Are these problems ultimately avoidable if I do things right? Or are some discs just doomed to fail?

I'd concur that it is. I bought the game for 20 notes from Game as well. Personally I'm happy with the game patched to 9.1.0 (well I have to be, as I'm not waiting 12 hours to download patch 9.2.0. Come on SI - get the patch listed on SEGA's website. Otherwise, what's the point of being owned by them?)

Yeah it's worth it.

VB

* I know, I'm as shocked as you guys that I put that. Seriously, my jaw was on the floor. It doesn't count as being good, but for 20 notes it's perfectly passable. I'd avoid 3D though.

I'm glad my chair has arms, otherwise I'd have fallen straight off of it ;).

There shouldn't be any activation issues now. It was a DoS and a complete overload that caused the problems.

Not strictly true - there's still the indistinguishabe 0 and O issue (my activation code had two O's. 0r was it tw0 0's? :D) and Uniloc refused to acknowledge that I had connected to the internet (which was fixed by exiting activation, then running the game after reconnecting to the t'internet). But I'd agree that the vast majority of the zero-day problems have been solved (which also explains why I'd waited 6 weeks to get the game 33% cheaper - I never by a game that requires activation on the day of release as there's ALWAYS a week's worth of teething troubles.)

mlp071 - I've got them all from CM4 up to FM08.

tbh, I think I like '07 the best out of them all (probably because I played it so much), but playing an older game; I'm sat there thinking "Oh, this feature would be good here" and all that. When you know there is features missing, it's hard to go back....

mlp071 - I've got them all from CM4 up to FM08.

tbh, I think I like '07 the best out of them all (probably because I played it so much), but playing an older game; I'm sat there thinking "Oh, this feature would be good here" and all that. When you know there is features missing, it's hard to go back....

I got 07 still installed and ready, but FM 09 is really showing good promise. So i understand where you are coming from.

As for 08...ehh , that one is long gone into charity.

Wee Aja.....I've owned every SI game made, from 92 back and this is the best so far..sure it has annoying bits, and its a bit more of a commitment, but for £20 you'll get your money's worth.

So far the only problems I've had have been with the initial authentification on the day it was released. Its better than the others, and as you say, its hard to go back!

Got mine for £21 a while ago from play :)

it is well worth it. i am three seasons in now and am really starting to enjoy it. there are lots of improvements over 08, dont listen to the haters. i installed with aniloc or whatever it is the first time, and i had no problems. i installed with steam the second time and again, i had no problems. haters will always complain for no reason...

dont bother with the 3D for now though :p

Never thought id say this but stick with FM08 and wait for FM10....im seriously considering ditching this game and getting FM08 tomorrow on the cheap (id sold it before FM09 came out and im regretting it now)

Same here, unfortunately. Gutted, this game is not good.

Archived