PDA

View Full Version : Question About Full Backs and Marking

matthewgoodfield
22-12-2008, 22:23
Hi

I want my full backs to be really attacking like Arsenal and Chelsea

I set them to forward runs my question is if I set them to man marking and forward runs , will that mean they will keep an eye on their marker before bombing on .

2 ) Also where the option is for marking , if you choose man is that the opposite player ?

Thanks

VonBlade
22-12-2008, 22:41
Hmmm. Assuming they've got half a brain and a bit of talent, set them to Mixed Runs, Mixed with ball, Cross from Deep. Shouldn't leave your backline too exposed.

Yes that's the opposition player. You pick man marking and it marks the nearest man. If you want someone in particular then pick the player on the pre-match screens. Zonal just marks an area rather than someone in particular.
VB

matthewgoodfield
22-12-2008, 22:54
Thanks

Would u still suggest this if you have 2 real quick full backs

Thanks A Lot

VonBlade
22-12-2008, 22:56
I suggest it even more if your full backs have got pace. It means they can break and return faster.

The only reason you'd want them to run often is if you play without wingers.

Mike7077
22-12-2008, 22:56
Dunno if this helps, but my fullbacks are my most potent attacking threat. I give them forward arrows and play without wingers because when I've played with wingers, they're not as good going forward as my fullbacks!

matthewgoodfield
22-12-2008, 22:58
May I just ask :

That for those that have their full backs set to forward runs on high . Do you not concede loads of goals . And If not what are your CB marking setting

Thanks

Mike7077
22-12-2008, 22:59
I have had the best defensive record in Serie A for two seasons running. I have pacy fullbacks who seem to be able to get back quickly enough. And when they don't, my centre backs deal with it. But they don't have any particular settings. I also play a defensive midfielder with a back arrow.

matthewgoodfield
22-12-2008, 23:01
I have had the best defensive record in Serie A for two seasons running. I have pacy fullbacks who seem to be able to get back quickly enough. And when they don't, my centre backs deal with it. But they don't have any particular settings. I also play a defensive midfielder with a back arrow.

Ok Thanks A Lot - It just must be my players because I am Aston Villa

Thanks - It just seems my full backs are prone to the long ball quite a lot when set to forward runs

Thanks

VonBlade
22-12-2008, 23:02
I don't concede loads. My CDs are as defensive as it's possible to be.

VonBlade
Everyone is prone to the long ball. It's a bug in the match engine that hasn't been fully ironed out yet.

matthewgoodfield
Do you set your FBs to Zonal or Man

Thanks

VonBlade
22-12-2008, 23:05
FBs zonal.

PM me your email and I'll mail my tactic over, if you want.

matthewgoodfield
22-12-2008, 23:07
Just Done

Thanks

phnompenhandy
23-12-2008, 06:03
Hi

I want my full backs to be really attacking like Arsenal and Chelsea

I set them to forward runs my question is if I set them to man marking and forward runs , will that mean they will keep an eye on their marker before bombing on .

There's a whole tactics ofrum for detailed answers on these kinds of questions.

Anyway, you'd be giving them completely contradictory instructions, which could be disastrous!

VonBlade
23-12-2008, 11:12
How did that work out? Any good?

I've never shared a tactic before and am agog :D

matthewgoodfield
23-12-2008, 11:13
Yes It worked quite well

I am still giving it a go

Results so far

2-1
0-2
6-1
4-1
3-1
1-0
2-2
3-3
4-0
0-1
0-1
3-0
1-0
1-0

slipknot67
23-12-2008, 11:14
Get them to learn the ppm gets forward whenever possible.:thup:

23-12-2008, 11:15
The guys in the tactics forum will probably be able to help quite a bit too.

VonBlade
23-12-2008, 11:27
Excellent. Not too bad at all. Now they've learnt it, 2 conceded in 6 is pretty good.

Amaroq
23-12-2008, 16:31
I suggest it even more if your full backs have got pace. It means they can break and return faster.

The only reason you'd want them to run often is if you play without wingers.
Huh?

Not at all - if he wants the uber-attacking fullbacks, Fwd Runs Often is the way to go. I very much like the way that looks for my side; I get overlapping runs with the fullback outside the winger, heading towards the corner. Either he's wide open, or he pulls a defender out wide, freeing up space in the box.

They don't always get forward .. but the opposite-side one tends to come about 1/3 of the way, maybe 1/2 way into the attacking zone, which means he's well positioned to clean up partial clearances and re-set the attack.

I'm not sure on the Man Marking bit, though; I either use Zonal marking, or "Explicit Man Marking", e.g., some matches I will tell my fullbacks exactly who they should be marking (I find this very useful against that 4-3-2-1 formation the AI uses, with an AML, ST, AMR attack.)

Amaroq
23-12-2008, 16:36
May I just ask :

That for those that have their full backs set to forward runs on high . Do you not concede loads of goals . And If not what are your CB marking setting

Thanks
Guess that's me. No, I don't concede loads; a fair share, considering the strength of my squad against the strength of my league. However, its not like I keep them on "Often" throughout the entire match. I tend to drop them to "Mixed" as soon as I take a lead, and to "Rarely" if I'm leading in the final ten minutes.

DC's are on Zonal marking, with a higher Mentality than you might expect if you haven't read T&TT. I also find DC's Forward Runs Mixed helps quite a bit - they don't get forward into the attack, but they are more willing to cross the half-way line if they think they can get to a loose ball before the opposition does. That helps break up quick-counter attacks, which buys time for those aggressive fullbacks to track back.