the official lets not complain lets just enjoy the game thread

I agree with the OP, I' m really enjoying 09 at the moment. When Championship Manager came out on the Amiga I loved it, thought it and Cannon Fodder were the best games you could buy (almost as good as Tracksuit Manager on the C64 but not quite). Went through a phase of nostalga last year when 08 wasn't going so well and thought, 'Christ, ChampMan on the Amiga is better than this'. So I downloaded both the original and the Italian version. They're fun for 5 minutes then they get boring really, really quickly. So I went back to 02/03 on the Xbox, yep, its great until you win the Prem with Millwall every season by 20 odd points.

Downloaded the patch the other day, started a game with Montrose and am having a lot of fun with it. Unlike a lot of people I don't actively look for flaws in the game - my opinion is that football is far, far too complex to be accurately represented in a computer game. FM09 makes a decent effort, I can live with the flaws. Started a game with Montrose and signed a striker I'd known from Irish football on a free. A few games into the season the fans are giving me abuse for what a terrible signing it was so I drop him. Few games later we're in a top of the table clash, down to ten men and struggling. My centre forward is knackered from chasing lost causes so I take him off and throw on my free transfer signing for the last five minutes. Cue a scramble in the opposition's box in the last minute - the ball breaks to my sub and he cracks it into the corner.

In all honesty, I am not a demonstrative person but I did jump out of my seat. I can't think of any other computer game that could garner that kind of reaction. I mean, it was only Montrose in the Scottish 3rd!

So there you go, love the game, keep it up.

CPS that was like me when i first signed danny elliott. admitedly he is only a 16 year old from nottingham forest youth team but i had gerrard, alonso and veloso out injured so i thought, lucas or elliott.....elliott for the second half it is as he had coped some flack. 60th minute elliott gets the ball runs forward takes on 1 of their defenders 1-2 with babel and lobs the keeper. second goal, corner comes in headed away BANG! from25 yards out. :) the fans love him now. :D

CPS that was like me when i first signed danny elliott. admitedly he is only a 16 year old from nottingham forest youth team but i had gerrard, alonso and veloso out injured so i thought, lucas or elliott.....elliott for the second half it is as he had coped some flack. 60th minute elliott gets the ball runs forward takes on 1 of their defenders 1-2 with babel and lobs the keeper. second goal, corner comes in headed away BANG! from25 yards out. :) the fans love him now. :D

Sounds like Lucas will be on his bike now! Its those wee moments that make the game worthwhile though.

Unlike a lot of people I don't actively look for flaws in the game - my opinion is that football is far, far too complex to be accurately represented in a computer game. FM09 makes a decent effort, I can live with the flaws.

I do the same CPS and you know what, it makes the game a lot more fun.

I play the game for fun and FM09 is doing the job of entertaining me. Like you also said, there are those moments that make you jump from your seat or do a fist pump. This is what I want the game to do and it does it so well.

Also, it does a pretty good job of "just one more match". It does a good job of making you want to find out what happens next. How's that young prospect I found going to turn out? Gotta press the space bar to find out. And its always just a little longer, the it hits summer and its time to rebuild the squad......

Time to press the space bar....... ;)

I do the same CPS and you know what, it makes the game a lot more fun.

I play the game for fun and FM09 is doing the job of entertaining me. Like you also said, there are those moments that make you jump from your seat or do a fist pump. This is what I want the game to do and it does it so well.

Also, it does a pretty good job of "just one more match". It does a good job of making you want to find out what happens next. How's that young prospect I found going to turn out? Gotta press the space bar to find out. And its always just a little longer, the it hits summer and its time to rebuild the squad......

Time to press the space bar....... ;)

I'm with you there, when you have work in the morning space bar isn't always your friend though!

Let's just hope this thread stays free of people who only want a whinge.

9.2.0 and am 20th with Rotherham on January 2, 2009, so very happy with my performance. To be frank, who gives a monkey's about having loads of injuries? They can happen, and are happening to me, I've got 7 players out injured [some people are complaining with less!] and yet I don't find that excessively high. Most teams have a decent squad size and that should take care of injuries. Am enjoying the game, without doubt.

and when fm10 doesn't change we'll have those such as you to thank

If you think this is bad, how about some of those who are unhappy, saying SI should drop FM10 and re-release FM09 fixed for FM10 with a new database? What'd the difference be? Sheesh.

Archived