An irrational an angry but nevertheless true post

I'll be honest, I'm fuming. I can't be bothered to go into why as it'll just anger me talking about it, but I've got a few questions and a few, erm, gentle criticisms.

I like FM, I really do, I quite like the new game and am playing it with relative frequency. But, and this has never been the case in my decade of playing CM/FM games, I need help. My team can't score. I play the most attacking formation in the world and can't score. The stats page at the end of the game usually reads something similar to '12 shots on goal, 1 on target'. So it's not that I'm not creating them but that I'm not scoring. The finishing of my striker's are 12 and 13 respectively, which is better than most of the strikers in the Blue Square North (where I'm playing). Their composure? 9 and 14 - again better than the strikers of the teams who are banging 3 goals in each week.

And before you say it, I know it's my tactics, of course it is, I mean SI have now formatted the game in a way that means you can only succeed and score goals if you visit the tactics forum and play the way they tell you to. No room for flair or fun anymore. God no. That would be unfair on those sad enough to read every page of this messageboard everyday so they can find out the best ways to win 18-0. It wouldn't give them the advantage they deserve, better still, they crave.

For the record, I just lost 1-0 away at Burton and they didn't have a shot on goal. Nope. Not one. The reason they scored was because my right back passed to my centre back, he picked it up, decided he would categorically ruin my night so just walked it into the net. Seriously. Not a Burton player in sight. My keeper just watched an all. It were great fun. If I knew how to show you I would. Thing is, ridiculous stuff like this happens and then SI wonder why people are complaining about their game (and then the SI bumlickers come in with their uncompromising defence of their beloveds - ''dont have a go at SI it's not their fault you can't win games'' ''No you're right it's not, but it's their fault my centre back just turned into a drunken ape for no apparent reason).

So go on, first thing, tell me how to make my team score more. I play 3-5-2 (two of those 5 are wing backs, 3 are centre mids therefore) and cannot score goals. Second thing, tell me why such basic flaws in the game are still occuring on what must be the 46th patch for this game. Really unprofessional SI - you're lucky some of us are still bothering.

i agree, eventually i just went to the tactics forum and downloaded a tactic. i also had 3 1-0 losses on fm 09 where they haven't had a shot at goal - and that's just the ones i checked stats of. the match engine on fm 08 was good and i understand that si need to change things before they can make them better but why release a game that is so full of errors. what happened to perfectionism and releasing your work when it's ready? no it's just whack it out, count the money, our customers can pay to be the testers and we'll release a few patches as we go along.

<trollish rant removed>

I'm not seeing the problems you're having. I have 2 quick wingers and 2 quick fullbacks and when they cross my strikers sometimes score. And my tactic with direct passing to either my big striker or my quick wingers works really well. I haven't even visited the tactics forum since FM09 came out...

same. my tactics are ace. i have 2 saves at the moment 1 with notts county 1 with liverpool. my liverpool 1 i won the treble in my first season but spent over 100 million and got a takeover. in my notts save i am 5th in league 2 after 6 games. for every 1 person who does bad, 5 people do good so your just in the minority who cannot comprehend how much more effort you have to put into this game.

I'll be honest, I'm fuming. I can't be bothered to go into why as it'll just anger me talking about it, but I've got a few questions and a few, erm, gentle criticisms.

I like FM, I really do, I quite like the new game and am playing it with relative frequency. But, and this has never been the case in my decade of playing CM/FM games, I need help. My team can't score. I play the most attacking formation in the world and can't score. The stats page at the end of the game usually reads something similar to '12 shots on goal, 1 on target'. So it's not that I'm not creating them but that I'm not scoring. The finishing of my striker's are 12 and 13 respectively, which is better than most of the strikers in the Blue Square North (where I'm playing). Their composure? 9 and 14 - again better than the strikers of the teams who are banging 3 goals in each week.

And before you say it, I know it's my tactics, of course it is, I mean SI have now formatted the game in a way that means you can only succeed and score goals if you visit the tactics forum and play the way they tell you to. No room for flair or fun anymore. God no. That would be unfair on those sad enough to read every page of this messageboard everyday so they can find out the best ways to win 18-0. It wouldn't give them the advantage they deserve, better still, they crave.

For the record, I just lost 1-0 away at Burton and they didn't have a shot on goal. Nope. Not one. The reason they scored was because my right back passed to my centre back, he picked it up, decided he would categorically ruin my night so just walked it into the net. Seriously. Not a Burton player in sight. My keeper just watched an all. It were great fun. If I knew how to show you I would. Thing is, ridiculous stuff like this happens and then SI wonder why people are complaining about their game (and then the SI bumlickers come in with their uncompromising defence of their beloveds - ''dont have a go at SI it's not their fault you can't win games'' ''No you're right it's not, but it's their fault my centre back just turned into a drunken ape for no apparent reason).

So go on, first thing, tell me how to make my team score more. I play 3-5-2 (two of those 5 are wing backs, 3 are centre mids therefore) and cannot score goals. Second thing, tell me why such basic flaws in the game are still occuring on what must be the 46th patch for this game. Really unprofessional SI - you're lucky some of us are still bothering.

Give this tactic a try.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=72995

same. my tactics are ace. i have 2 saves at the moment 1 with notts county 1 with liverpool. my liverpool 1 i won the treble in my first season but spent over 100 million and got a takeover. in my notts save i am 5th in league 2 after 6 games. for every 1 person who does bad, 5 people do good so your just in the minority who cannot comprehend how much more effort you have to put into this game.

That's the thing though, it's a GAME. Why should you have to put tons of effort (ie, not fun) into the GAME in order to get decent results?

Having said that, I have a reasonable degree of success playing fairly straightforward tactics and just leaving all the mentality sliders to 'team'. However illogical it is to have your defenders set to two-thirds of the way on attacking, for some bizarre reason this actually seems to work.

Not sure why these threads keep cropping up. Some say it's a problem, others say it isn't. Unless everyone is having the problem, it has to be the person playing it.

Right?

I would have to agree, mate. It was the same with FM08.

I think the game is moving further and further away from the casual gamer tbh. Some have success with it and some don't. A small minority of the ones who can't get to grips with it get blinded by frustration and come on here to "rant" [sic], whereas the rest get their heads down and try harder to understand it. As the great man (Shankly) once said:

"You only get out of the game what you put into it"

if youre missing that much try slowing team tempo down to 1/3 or so may not get as many shots but you should score. i have found that 2 st & at least 1 am is needed i use 2 st 1 am & 2 wings and score pretty often tempo is at normal unless at home then i bump it up a couple and hope for the best. btw this is when i played 09.

Archived