Laptop is faster when plugged in!?!?

I'm fairly sure this only affects FM as i have tried to see whether it happens when using other programs and it doesn't.

Basically, when i plug in the AC power to my laptop (to charge its battery) FM actually speeds up...

Is this meant to happen? Is it a problem with my laptop? Why does it happen?

Help please

Happens with a lot of things when you do this. When you unplug the mains from a laptop, I think the laptop automatically goes into a power-saving mode because certain things just can't run off the battery, including things which require a lot of processor power. When I unplug the mains from my laptop, my Windows Media Centre judders about all over the place.

You can change it - click on the 'power' icon in the bottom right - mine looks like a battery when unplugged or a plug when plugged in - it should let you change the power useage - but your battery wil die fast if you ramp it up to full power when unplugged (like 20 minutes)

You can change it - click on the 'power' icon in the bottom right - mine looks like a battery when unplugged or a plug when plugged in - it should let you change the power useage - but your battery wil die fast if you ramp it up to full power when unplugged (like 20 minutes)

My laptop battery will last for about two and a half hours, unplugged, with the power setting switched to "High Performance".

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, fwiw. What has the OP got?

Normally you can set you power/battery item in some kind of menu from the control panel (in my case, a toshiba laptop it is called power settings) then you can set your laptop to run equal on batteries as you were on AC power. This ofcourse will drain you batterie more then normal.

But it is possible.

thanks for the help, i'll give it a go. I have a Sony Vaio something, it was my mum's work laptop but her company went bankrupt so i got the laptop... therefore i have no idea about the model. I do know that they bollocked the power by having it constantly plugged in though, so my high permormance without power will probaly last 3 seconds.

My laptop battery will last for about two and a half hours, unplugged, with the power setting switched to "High Performance".

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, fwiw. What has the OP got?

hehe - well ive got a dual cored 256meg graphics card on a 17' widescreen lap top - its not designed to be unplugged for a long period of time.

Laptops are bound to work faster if they are plugged into the mains the battery isnt as efficient as using mains power also crank up the power usage to maximum to make your laptop work faster i noticed a substantial difference after doing that.

Archived