Download vs DVD

Ease of installation: I'd imagine it would be the same on both download and disc version but you'd have to wait for the program to download first on steam.

Ease of activation: You could activate using Uniloc if you bought the disc but then you wouldn't get auto updates. But the steam download means you can only activate with steam which is no bad thing but you haven't got a choice.

General playability: no difference

Updates: steam is auto-updated and if you activate via steam it makes no difference whether you have a disc or a downloaded file.

in my opinion, getting a disc would be better as it's cheaper...

Always prefer the hard copy version of the game, if it's available to me of course.

1. Pop in the DVD

2. Press Install

3. Download & Install the patch (again, point and click)

4. Play.

Don't really see how difficult it can get.

Uniloc also is very easy to activate through as well and from what I've been reading, there's been more cases of people having problems with Steam,than Uniloc, and this is after the initial activation problem period when the game was first released.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, seems like I'll head for the shops. If you can't tell already, I'm not much of a PC gamer, I'm and Xbox 360/PS3 man mainly. But FM has me hooked!

It's the best way, steam has given so many people so many problems, in all games. Steam should be destroyed :p

There must be atleast 2-3 threads a day of people complaining about steam on this forum.

I prefer the steam download, I have been using steam for years and have bought most of my games through steam and I have never had any problems with it.

The only bad thing is their prices for europeans and their idea that 1 dollar is worth 1 euro.

Which is better, paying £25 in a shop for the disc, or paying £30 on Steam for a download version? :confused:

I want to consider the following factors:

Ease of installation

Ease of activation

General playability

Updates

Thanks for your input :)

For me it makes little difference now as you no longer need the DVD in the drive to play the game. Personally I prefer DVD because I like the feeling of owning something "solid" rather than just a set of files (though I assume you could burn them to DVD?).

(though I assume you could burn them to DVD?).

Strictly speaking I don't think it's allowed. I'm really sad - I have a shelf of CM/FM games from 97/98 onwards (and CM2 but that wasn't bought in order) - to 'Jezs' Football Manager 2009' (courtesy of play.com heh) - my collection wouldn't work without the box!

Archived