Commentary Only (and other thoughts!)

Ok, I'm a little apprehensive about posting this, mainly because I know that by 5pm there will be 50 responses all shooting me down! But I wanted to share some thoughts with you guys about this, I read the forums every day and rarely get involved so thought I would.

I've ben playing FM (and before that CM) since CM2, but really got into it 97/98. Like many others on here I'm sure, I've had every incarnation of the game since then and I absolutely love it. 01/02 was the most enjoyable for me but it seems that since then the game as a "simulation" has come on enormously but enjoyment from it as a "game" has decreased. For me this means, its level of fun, its addictiveness and its sense of taking over your life. My friend (occasional poster OxfordCanary) and I seem to concur on this and much of it is probably down to how advanced the tactics engine is these days. That's a discussion for another thread and im sure that those who have the time to "tweak" a lot or develop multi-formations for different in game scenarios, the game keeps getting better and better - I also recognise how intensely rewarding that must be. However, for me, the pick-up-and-play value of the series is diminishing year on year as the investment of time required grows and grows.

This brings me on to my main point (yes, sorry, got caught up in a ramble up there). Since 9.2 was installed I've been really impressed with the 3D engine for looks and loading times, but, as with the many versions of the 2D engine before it, I find watching the games incredibly frustrating. Firstly there is the time constraint, it now takes a week for me to complete a season, I don't have a slow PC but watching the games takes up a lot of time. Secondly, its hard to have complete faith in the match engine because of the many arguments on here about realism and the regular patching that follows. The community and the regular patching are two things that SI should be incredibly proud of, their commitment as a company is fantastic in my opinion. The problem for me is that when watching a game I find it difficult to take seeing a striker skew his 5th one-on-one wide or a defender with pace 18 running like he's had his shoe-laces tied together and his boots fashioned out of iron. I know - its my tactics - but I've come to the conclusion that maybe ignorance is bliss.

I know the 01/02 engine was light years behind recent versions but because I couldn't see how it wasn't working properly it didn't bother me. Last night I played the game with commentary only and found it incredibly enjoyable. I've added all the world stadium pictures so away days now feel really atmospheric again when the other club's stadium picture loads up in the background. I can't really put my finger on it (and I guess that was the purpose of writing this mini-essay) but I just feel so much happier playing the game. I also managed to play a fair chunk of the season in a much reduced space of time. As for the tactical benefit (or lack of) from not getting a graphical representation of the matches, I can't say I feel like I'm missing out on much.

Thoughts welcome, as I said earlier, I know a lot of people on here will think I'm an idiot.... but hey, I can live with it!

everyones entitled to there view, i personally loved all the fm's and the cm's before and admitedly the game used to be a lot more fun but im happy to say that i am enjoying 09 (well i am now) and while i dont like the 3d engine, i think the 2d has come along way and gives a good representation of the game.

i must admit though i do agree with certain areas of you post and like i said EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion so no shootdown from me:thup:

Good post. Easy to read unlike some :)

I understand where you're coming from. In fact I was of the belief that ignorance is bliss when it comes to viewing matches. I was not at all convinced about going 3D, perhaps way back when I wasnt at all convinced about the game going down the 2D path. The latter worked out very well and after some early reservations with 3D I've come to the conclusion that I could not go back.

Some things take time getting used to and I'd say it is very easy to pick up on the weaker aspects of the Match Engine now that we can see more of what is going on. When it was text only you could imagine the scenarios in your head and they were infinitely more fluid than the representation in 09 :D

Having said that, I think things have already improved considerably within 09 and it'll get better still. I've become used to the matches and thoroughly enjoy watching them (most of the time - there is still a noticeable lack of polish) on Extended Highlights. It takes so very long to watch all games in this mode, I used to progress quicker with 07. I have the time, right now, to dedicate to FM. Sometimes you have that time, at others you do not.

If anything FM10 needs a bit of a 'review' as there are, in my opinion, many a thing that could be better presented to the player in order to cut back on confusion.

No shootdown from me either. Though I do like the 3D views, I prefer 2D now. If only I wasn't having problems with laggy 2D Classic.

Everyone is entitles to an opinion and it is your game. I will play FM for years to come and will mostly use 2D. Some might call me old school but it is what I want to do. It's your game, do what you like mate :thup:

I like the 3d match engine, i liked the 2d match engine, i liked the commentary only, but things changes...3d match engine still has some work to do but with time it's gonna be perfect i'm sure, plus it improved a lot with patch 9.2

Old school! :D Not wanting to hijack the thread - but peter-evo -> do you prefer 2D over 3D because it highlights less mistakes that way?

Fortunately FM caters for most - Commentary, 2D and 3D. Good deal if you ask me.

Seeing as you asked nicely I will answer :p. I prefer 2D because it looks nicer and I can use my imagination a bit while in 3D the mistakes are blatant and kill the realism. I do like the 3D and am all for it being included but I preder 2D. It's just ashame my 2D Classic lags so badly.

I've just finished my first season of FM09 and I played every match in 3D. It was horrible and I found many of the errors, that are now all too easy to notice, very frustrating.

Even though I like the 3D their are times when the ME mucks up and the unrealism kicks in. This is less noticable in 2D.

Ha "unrealism", less FM and more school work needed Peter. You've stolen my point from the other thread there :mad: In 3D it is far too easy to see my DM running alongside the opposition and never putting a challenge in, this drives me mad. In 2D I would be utterly oblivious to this and would assume that he is trying his best to nip the ball away from the oppoing player.

Ha "unrealism", less FM and more school work needed Peter. You've stolen my point from the other thread there :mad: In 3D it is far too easy to see my DM running alongside the opposition and never putting a challenge in, this drives me mad. In 2D I would be utterly oblivious to this and would assume that he is trying his best to nip the ball away from the oppoing player.

Sorry, this was my beliefs anyway. For some reason I clicked to day and couldn't enjoy 3D. I much prefer 2D and am still steadily getting used to the normal 2D option as classic 2D stutters like Gareth Gates' stammer.

Archived