Hitting the woodwork.

Me and my son have played a total of 8 games with the 9.2.0 patch,

We have each played 3 games on our hot-seat game and he has also played an International frienldy in that save.

I have just played a game in my own save

In each of these 8 games the woodwork was hit at least once, (and on one occasion 4 times).

I hoped that this was something that would have been dealt with by the patch and I am astonished that it seems to have slipped through.

Match 9. Woodwork hit twice.

Match 10. Woodwork hit twice.

Match 11. Woodwork hit once.

Match 12. Woodwork hit twice.

Match 13.

In my savegame, now it's not as blatantly stupid as before installing 9.2.0. Previously it was normal to have around 4 balls, per game, hitting the woodwork (how has this passed QA???). Now it's more like 1 or 2 per game, sometimes none.

Although still a bit too much, it dropped to acceptable levels.

I found it to be a problem with tactics that I have created, long shots hitting psot and bar was a common occurance. Then I started using Knap's tactic, and can probably count on one hand the number of times i've hit the woodwork in my first season. Could it be tactics related?

It was reduced for 9.2 due to a bug in the ball physics on long shots but if its still happening too much we will be able to look further at it for 9.3.

There's going to be a 9.3?

I must say, i've hit the woodwork about a dozen times in my last 2 games, although i am playing a 9.1 save with 9.2 installed.

Me and my son have played a total of 8 games with the 9.2.0 patch,

We have each played 3 games on our hot-seat game and he has also played an International frienldy in that save.

I have just played a game in my own save

In each of these 8 games the woodwork was hit at least once, (and on one occasion 4 times).

I hoped that this was something that would have been dealt with by the patch and I am astonished that it seems to have slipped through.

Match 9. Woodwork hit twice.

Match 10. Woodwork hit twice.

Are you saying that this is not happening in real life? C'mon man, I always see a shoot hitting the woodwork in every game I watch. Your complaint about "being a bug" is pretty ridiculous.... (IMO)

Are you saying that this is not happening in real life? C'mon man, I always see a shoot hitting the woodwork in every game I watch. Your complaint about "being a bug" is pretty ridiculous.... (IMO)

Every game?! I doubt that very much. Hitting the woodwork has been recognised as an issue pre patch, it's feasible that it may still be there and hardly ridiculous.

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.

The number of times that the woodwork is hit in real life is less than once per game.

The number of times that the woodwork is hit in 9.2.0 seems to be about 1.75.

It was reduced for 9.2 due to a bug in the ball physics on long shots but if its still happening too much we will be able to look further at it for 9.3.

Really looking forward to 9.3 .. My request is that Running of defenders and marking is tweaked further. Through balls are absolutely deadly with a fast striker now as defenders just let their opponents run away.

Closing down in midfield is another area that doesn't work really well.

Also strange, I still get the best results with a very attacking formationwith 2 MC on FW runs, AML and AMR on FW runs and two strikers. That'd not be too bad if I wasn't newly promoted Ipswich Town.

There's going to be a 9.3?

I must say, i've hit the woodwork about a dozen times in my last 2 games, although i am playing a 9.1 save with 9.2 installed.

I see a shot hit the woodwork every two games now and that seems about right. must say that I don't see more than 2 long shots per game now as now mosly through balls create the chances.

I agree that hitting the woodwork is not uncommon, but every game is OTT or you're just watching the "wrong" games.

I was about to post about this yesterday but I got distracted. In my game they seem to hit it all the time. My team hit the cross bar 4 times in a match thats excluding any times it hit the post which im sure was quite a few. The one which made me laugh was a penalty which my player it straight at keeper to the left hand side but it came back with 4 yards out and with the whole right hand side of the goal open he its the bar lol.

I found it to be a problem with tactics that I have created, long shots hitting psot and bar was a common occurance. Then I started using Knap's tactic, and can probably count on one hand the number of times i've hit the woodwork in my first season. Could it be tactics related?

Yes I think it is tactics related. Should it be? Not in my opinion. Regardless of what tactics are being used, the number of times the woodwork is hit is too high, obviously as the number of long shots are increased the propensity for the ball to hit the frame of the goal increases, but not by as much as the ME is calculating IMO.

This is a wider point on tactics really, there just isn't enough clarity of relationship between what the user wants to do, what the sliders do and what actually happens in the match engine as a result. It just isn't set out in a clear way. I'd like to see a big overhaul of tactics for FM2010, moving away from the sliders and putting in a few "off the shelf" tactics that actually work.

Sorry that was a bit negative, I love FM2009 and I'm totally hooked at the moment but this has been rankling for a little while.

Its bit far from the norm, but doesnt worry me too much.

Would you prefer the ball hitting the post and staying in play or more shots off target.

They are the same thing. Hitting the post is actually "off target".

For realism purposes, I would definitely prefer the ball going out of play.

In my game at the moment it seems as if the wood work is hit at least 5 times a match. You can definitely notice it happens more often than it does in real life. I'm playing with 9.2 applied by the way.

It's good to know that it's being looked into for 9.3.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm noticing the same thing on latest patch. I'm seeing it hit woodwork average 2 or 3 times a game. It's almost always MY team as well, oppo seem to do it much less often. I've had quite a 'wandering' career - 5 jobs in 4 seasons, two incredibly sucessful, two incredibly unsucessful and one average. Same in all jobs, so I don't think it's actually affecting outcome of games or anything...

Posts are the new super keepers!!! I was actually thinking there should be a stat built into the game to record which team hits the post the most often, it happens so frequently!

So yeah, a similar experience for me on latest patch too I’m afraid. I’d say an average of 2-3 a game, and on one recent game where I did actually count, it was 5 times in one game, and from a mix of situations (DC header from corner, MC long shot, striker 1 on 1 etc). I would have to say in terms of the 3d match engine, this is the most frustrating bug for me and incredibly unrealistic when compared to real life. Please tone this down further for 3rd patch SI.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived