What is "Getting Skinned" mean?

I've always thought that it related only to pace and not to trickery.

Not sure where I got this idea from though.

It just means taking the ball past the defender, whether by pace or skill, but its usually obviously a combination of the two.

So "skin him" = take the ball past him (as opposed to anything involving knives....).

Alternatively, your assistant might be making a note of the fact that your defender likes to smoke a bit of herbal tobacco on a match-day to steady the nerves and focus the mind.

basically its hes trying to say take the defender off

No, not at all.

He's saying that he is getting creamed and that things need to change. My first action would be to get the defender to close him down earlier, mark him more tightly and maybe tackle harder, (or a mix of the 3).

If that doesn't work then take him off, but don't take him off without tryiing to fix what is wrong first, or the new guy, (who obviously isn;t as good as the first guy, or he would have started in the first place), will just get skinned too.

If you are not a fan of opposition instructions then what about a man marker on him or maybe a higher defensive line to cut off his supply or a deeper defensive line and maybe more width to force him inside.

Taking him off is the last option and isn't likely to work on it's own.

No, not at all.

He's saying that he is getting creamed and that things need to change. My first action would be to get the defender to close him down earlier, mark him more tightly and maybe tackle harder, (or a mix of the 3).

If that doesn't work then take him off, but don't take him off without tryiing to fix what is wrong first, or the new guy, (who obviously isn;t as good as the first guy, or he would have started in the first place), will just get skinned too.

If you are not a fan of opposition instructions then what about a man marker on him or maybe a higher defensive line to cut off his supply or a deeper defensive line and maybe more width to force him inside.

Taking him off is the last option and isn't likely to work on it's own.

But if the player is easily getting passed each time u might as well bring some one else on to give him something new

But if the player is easily getting passed each time u might as well bring some one else on to give him something new

No. A poorer player given the same instructions is likely to suffer a similar result against the same opponent.

Don't mind me though. What do I know. Take him off if you want.

who actually coined the phrase: "getting skinned" ? ? ? does it really make any sense? i think JB22 has pointed out that running past a player has nothing to do with literally skinning a human being. sorry if that is a bit too off topic but it made me think

Archived