How old is 'old'?

In response to the 'Average squad age' thread; how old do you consider to be the age at which you start phasing out players, or getting rid of them while, maybe, they're still worth something.

I find myself, with the exception of GK, DC and DM, being reluctant to play anyone over the age of about 27. Even then, 32/33 is the very maximum, even for a GK usually. I think I'm a bit mad.

In response to the 'Average squad age' thread; how old do you consider to be the age at which you start phasing out players, or getting rid of them while, maybe, they're still worth something.

I find myself, with the exception of GK, DC and DM, being reluctant to play anyone over the age of about 27. Even then, 32/33 is the very maximum, even for a GK usually. I think I'm a bit mad.

stats plummet when a player reaches 33, which is a little unrealistic tbh. i remember Christian Vieri on cm00-01 still getting 30-40 a season at 36.

in this version, 32 is my mental 'too old' age, depends on stats decreasing.

mind you, i generally don't sign anyone over 27. 18-24 (or younger when i'm rebuilding a youth squad) is what i look for. like my women icon_biggrin.gif

When a player (midfield/forward) is approaching 28 I start thinking about moving him on as it is still possible to get a good fee for him.

Defenders and goalkeepers just about make it past 30, it just depends on their stats compared to their younger team mates.

Very seldom do I let a player hit 33 in my squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

stats plummet when a player reaches 33, which is a little unrealistic tbh. i remember Christian Vieri on cm00-01 still getting 30-40 a season at 36.

mind you, i generally don't sign anyone over 27. 18-24 (or younger when i'm rebuilding a youth squad) is what i look for. like my women icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are stats important? icon_biggrin.gif

It's unfortunate that the majority of players in the same positions begin to decline at the same age. However they'll tend to only decline dramatically if they're either not playing or playing at a level previously beneath them.

Personally I tend to phase out players when they're around 31-33, depending upon the assistant's report. If they're no longer the best in that position, obviously I play someone else.

But like you, keepers are my anomaly and I often play them well into their mid to late 30s, but I make sure I have an able deputy capable of stepping in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

mind you, i generally don't sign anyone over 27. 18-24 (or younger when i'm rebuilding a youth squad) is what i look for. like my women icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are stats important? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, just 'number of cups'.

The quality of the league you playing has a lot to do with it as well. Like i said in that average squad age thread i have 4 players over the age of 35 in my team, but then again i'm only playing in the swedish first division north so they still have enough quality to play there. In terms of premiership or similar leagues i think around 30 ish for attacking players and maybe up to 33/34 for the more defensive players.

I only consider a player to be too old when I don't need him any more. If a player is playing and still doing a good job for your team, then you may as well keep him, even if he is 35. You want your best players, regardless of age. If however, you have younger players pushing the player into the shadows, then it's clear his time is pretty much up.

In my Sheffield Wednesday game, Andy Van Der Meyde is 35 and he's still averaging over 7.00 helping me win the Champions league, UEFA Cup and the Premiership(x2)

I don't know how the old guy's doing it as his stats aren't very good looking, but he still does it!

i was playing on my mates 2017 game, and found out dean ashton is a 34/33 year old on 92k/week

as soon as he contract was up he was well off, same with Nilmar who was 33, when my players get to 33, depending on if i can find a replacement first, or weather or not they are an important asset to the team

I like to keep a team together for years. If a good offer comes in unless hes under 25 in which case it really has to be special then i dont sell. However once I feel they get to old i got on a massive re-building process.

Too old? Well it varies. Once the stats decline their off. Thats when the re-building begins. Although i have to say i usually allow try and sign a 18-20 year old keeper who is good enough and i know unless an injury creeps in im getting 20 solid years. Not that i have a save game this far. Defenders i sign at 18-24 and I try to rid them around 30.

Midfielders, Wingers and strikers i like to have huge ammounts of energy. As a result they only every really last till 27 or 28 if their lucky. I feel no player unless a cult hero and still performing should be at my club when they dont have the energy. I dont like having payers less that 75% fitness at full time.

If I like what I see from their performance, then they are staying. If they aren't performing to my expectations or at least impressing me with their performances past a certain age after being given numerous amount of chances, then they are old.

So to me, age is really not an issue, it's results that matter.

Ex. I had a young striker who was 22 with great stats, but for some reason, he never excelled and was slightly below average with his performances. On the other hand, I had Geovanni, a 36 year old past-his-prime FC, who was my top scorer for 3 seasons in a row. Yes, he played for my team until he was 39 and he was great. I wish I could turn back time. icon_frown.gif

I don't usually sell my old folks. I just keep them in the reserve and let the play back up. Their stamina doesn't really hold when their 33+ already, but still has good skill and mentality. So great subs are usually my old folks.

When a player is in his thirties, I tend to give him not more than a 2 year contract. After I feel like he can no longer be of use, I give him a mutual termination. Selling old players don't really give me the bucks I need.

i very much go for the young team. i never sign anyone over the age of 25 unless they are people like david villa and adriano. and ussaly get rid of players that are 30. however i am always looking for new young talent so i am forever buying wonderkids in every window possible(ussaly buy at least 4 under 22's)

i have just Gareth Barry in 2015 and he is 34. I am a week away before the start of the season and i have just recieved a message from my assistant manager saying he is over the hill. Fantastic considering i gave him a 10k signing on fee. His stats say he has a part to play in my season mind.

Archived