Football Chairman 2009

Wouldn't it be good if you could be a chairman instead of a manager :)

Like added to the game in the next series.. You'd be able to decide whether you want your manager to buy players or you could buy them yourselves (Abramovich) sack your manager, have words with him, give new contract etc..

I'd be very amused if they brought this into the game :D

Anyone agree?

Or is it defeating the whole object of Football MANAGER 2009 haha :)

Wouldn't it be good if you could be a chairman instead of a manager :)

Anyone agree?

No. It's not a good idea at all, it has been brought up many times, and has always had the same reponse;

"It's called Football Manager for a reason"

Ok it's a rubbish line, but there is a point ot it.

I think it would be great if you could start as a youth or reserve team manager first but only if it was optional.

Yeah, me too. It would be a good way to introduce people gradually to the game, too. My fiancée is American and probably couldn't even name a single footballer other than Roman Bednar or Ishmael Miller (sometimes she asks me how West Brom are doing, as I support them :p). She wants to get into the sport and the game, but having so much available to her, right from the start, is quite daunting for her.

Considering that many managers do start off (or end up) managing reserve or youth teams, I don't see why it couldn't be allowed as optional, you know?

Start of managing an under 7's saturday football team.. then one day become United manager.

What, as opposed to starting off as manager of Halifax, then one day becoming United manager?

Not everyone ends up managing top clubs - there are youth and assistant managers who go on to manage full time all over the place, and likewise people who keep popping back and forth between being a manager and doing backroom stuff.

Just look at the post-playing career of, say, Nigel Pearson. Started off manager of Carlisle, then became first team coach (a coach!) at Stoke. Then Assman at West Brom, then Caretaker manager for a month at the same club. Then Assman at Newcastle, then first team coach at the same club, then manager at Southampton, and now finally manager at Leicester.

So it does happen. Of course, I'm not asking for us to be able to be a coach, but I'm just saying we shouldn't be limited to being the actual full-on manager.

What, as opposed to starting off as manager of Halifax, then one day becoming United manager?

Not everyone ends up managing top clubs - there are youth and assistant managers who go on to manage full time all over the place, and likewise people who keep popping back and forth between being a manager and doing backroom stuff.

Just look at the post-playing career of, say, Nigel Pearson. Started off manager of Carlisle, then became first team coach (a coach!) at Stoke. Then Assman at West Brom, then Caretaker manager for a month at the same club. Then Assman at Newcastle, then first team coach at the same club, then manager at Southampton, and now finally manager at Leicester.

So it does happen. Of course, I'm not asking for us to be able to be a coach, but I'm just saying we shouldn't be limited to being the actual full-on manager.

So what would the game actually entail if you were not the full-on manager? Wouldn't that get a bit tedious after a few weeks (game-time) ? I mean... click on a thing for fitness training today, then maybe something different tommorow, then repeat the same process all the time. And if you don't rate the new players the manager brings in, you're stuck with them anyway and have little or no influence over actual matches. You might get an opportunity to take over the team for 1 or 2 games a season if the manager has a touchline ban or is ill or whatever, but that sounds exceedingly pointless and boring.

So what would the game actually entail if you were not the full-on manager? Wouldn't that get a bit tedious after a few weeks (game-time) ? I mean... click on a thing for fitness training today, then maybe something different tommorow, then repeat the same process all the time. And if you don't rate the new players the manager brings in, you're stuck with them anyway and have little or no influence over actual matches. You might get an opportunity to take over the team for 1 or 2 games a season if the manager has a touchline ban or is ill or whatever, but that sounds exceedingly pointless and boring.

Well ass-mans usually handle reserve matches, but like you say they don't have much (if any) influence on transfers. So with regards to why I would want such an option, it would be a great way for me to gradually introduce my fiancée into the joys of management, without her having the huge amount of responsibility that comes with being an actual manager of a club (especially if you can imagine what it's like for someone who barely knows a thing about football (Even when Beckham signed for LA Galaxy, she called me saying "Hey, Beckham! Isn't he Posh Spice's husband?)). A real manager has to handle transfers, training, contracts, and countless other things. Like you say, it's a hell of a lot more involved than being an assman.

But my point is, for someone who is an absolute newcomer to the series, or to management in general, or to football in general, that huge involvement, that huge depth, and that huge responsibility can provide a huge barrier to entry that can prove too large to overcome (hence the original, clueless IGN reviewer giving the game 2.0 out of 10).

The only reason that I would want this feature in would be to have more control over the club. Setting season ticket prices, and merchandice prices etc. I know some people will tell me to go to FIFA Manager for that, but I like football manager more. But having complete control of everything to do with the club would be nice... Except for your own contract of course!

this is what I dont like about some "lads" on this forum. Always so conservative, its not like it would bother you if we who like to play as chairmen had the option to do it.

So please stop moaning when it doesn't affect you.

It would affect us, because it would affect game size, speed, system requirements, testing and design time. This feature isn't worth wasting other resources on. Before anyone says, "it could be a tick box option", where does that stop? If everything is justifiable because of tick box options, then why not incorporate every single idea on these forums and just add a tick box to keep us all happy.

The only reason that I would want this feature in would be to have more control over the club. Setting season ticket prices, and merchandice prices etc. I know some people will tell me to go to FIFA Manager for that, but I like football manager more. But having complete control of everything to do with the club would be nice... Except for your own contract of course!

Why would you want to control how much the pies are sold for? I cannot see how that would improve the game. As Nomis says, the time and effort directed into developing this nonsense or any of the other Chairman/Director of football/Head coach/Assistant manager/Coach stuff would seriously detract from the time available for developing new features relating to the game proper and refining old features in the game.

Laundry lady manager. :D

:thup: I'm up for a bit of that. Nah I don't know I think being chairman could been kind of fun if it was built into an extra on fm though I really couldn't see it working as a seperate game. I think it would be a laugh being a chairman I could either be like stingy rod petrie or Mad Vlad which would be quality. :D

Archived