Suggestion: Retiring Shirt Numbers

I remember people mentioning that you only get the option of retiring a player's squad number if that player played a lot of 'ingame' seasons for your club.

What this means is that if you are managing say Man United and Ryan Giggs were to retire at the end of season 2009/2010, you would not get the option to retire his shirt number. This is because only 2 game years had gone by.

So following the previous example, if Jonny Evans goes on and becomes a key player for you and retires in season 2020/2021, you would then get the option of retiring his shirt number as the game then recognises Evans as being a long-serving member of your club.

Not sure if this feature works - had john terry retire a few days ago and there was no option to retire his number - surely he would be a prime candidate?

See my post (4 posts above yours) for the explanation. But yeah, definitely a waste it does not work on legends that are already in the twilight of the careers at game start.

See my post (4 posts above yours) for the explanation. But yeah, definitely a waste it does not work on legends that are already in the twilight of the careers at game start.

Ah right, hadn't seen your post.

Makes sense is suppose, but it would have been nice for it to have included the playing career prior to 2008 as it is stored in the players history screen. But hey-ho, something to add to FM09 :D

Not sure if this feature works - had john terry retire a few days ago and there was no option to retire his number - surely he would be a prime candidate?

Hmm, if you couldnt do it when he retired then this feature doesnt seem to work.

Anyone know what happens when Maldini retires, and if the shirt number is automatically retired like it will be in real life?

On a slight different note, I just checked AC's club information and Maldini isnt even listed in favourite personnel, let alone icon or legend. WTF? Thats a bit pathetic.

One other criteria not yet mentioned is that you have to have managed at the club in question for a considerable time before you can get this option, and even then the other criteria must be met (player retires, player is listed as a legend at your club) so no wonder it's rare. And it should be rare, as someone mentioned the vast majority of clubs don't have retired numbers despite true legends throughout their history.

napoli's no 10 is retired. no prizes for saying who's shirt that is.

i actually dont like retiring shirt numbers. i think its a much bigger honour (IRL) to give it to the next young star, a la the no.7 at utd.

id hate for the number 11 shirt to be retired for giggs. its an iconic number.

napoli's no 10 is retired. no prizes for saying who's shirt that is.

i actually dont like retiring shirt numbers. i think its a much bigger honour (IRL) to give it to the next young star, a la the no.7 at utd.

id hate for the number 11 shirt to be retired for giggs. its an iconic number.

Exactly. Like the number 7 was at liverpool with McManaman, and should have been for Robbie Keane this season.

Re: the Napoli Number 10, can you actually not give it to a player on the game?

Exactly. Like the number 7 was at liverpool with McManaman, and should have been for Robbie Keane this season.

Re: the Napoli Number 10, can you actually not give it to a player on the game?

Very true, Keane isnt having his best season but Rafa'll think of something!

I agree, like Liverpool's number 9 is so iconic, with Fowler, Torres, etc

Archived