Sneaky way to possibly make your 3D smoother (Windowed)

I reckon it's not the 3D engine causing the stuttering, it's FM In the background doing all of it's processing causing the 3D to stutter. Hence when it's not focused on, it's treated as idle and doing less processing. Just a thought

Probably, there must be a logical explenation.

This to me seems that it could be related to the "processing fixtures" option in preferences, whilst I've never really known what this feature does, and how it affects performance, I do remember in earlier versions of FM that you couldn't get live scores on one of the settings during your games.

Also, you may notice on match day when you try to do your tactics, it ends up being quite clunky and hard to click for a bit, my guess is FM is processing stuff in the background causing the interface to become laggy, the same concept probably applies to the 3D engine.

I reckon it's not the 3D engine causing the stuttering, it's FM In the background doing all of it's processing causing the 3D to stutter. Hence when it's not focused on, it's treated as idle and doing less processing. Just a thought

Interesting. Not that I am a technical guru of any sort and neither do I know anything about how this game actually works but logic tells me (if the above is true) that if you run the matches on one core (as dual core seems to be the standard nowadays) and the background processing on another then that ought to take care of the stuttering.

I also seem to remember a setting with Vista (which I have but rarely use) where you could set program affinity (or something like that). Maybe changing that for FM would make a difference? XP has a setting under "Performance Options" to do with "Processor Scheduling" which I need to change to "Background services" whenever I want to accurately record sound. Maybe in windowed mode that means something. Nvidia drivers have a "use threading option"...something there?

All just guesses. :rolleyes:

It doesn't play sound when not in focus right? Perhaps it's related.

No, it doesn't. Well I tried quickening up the 3d by disabling sound and that did not work but doing what this thread says did so I don't think it is sound that is affecting it.

Only thought on why this works is that when the window is not focused, the UI thread and system doesn't have to keep up with the user input events (mouse clicks, keyboard). By having it non-focused, it allows for Football Manager to run the actual core game simulation/match engine uinterrupted without having to worry about handling user input. Similar logic can also be applied to sound.

Forwarded to the coders to try and find out.

Sounds mad to me too but there may be something in it.

Bizarre in extremis - well dome P-E. Of course, I take this kind of lateral thinking in my stride. Here in Cambodia we're on the verge of war with Thailand over a few square metres of dirt. There's the Thais with their 21st C military hardware and Cambodia with soldiers in flip-flops - and protective magical tattoos. FM and Life: same same ;)

Bizarre in extremis - well dome P-E. Of course, I take this kind of lateral thinking in my stride. Here in Cambodia we're on the verge of war with Thailand over a few square metres of dirt. There's the Thais with their 21st C military hardware and Cambodia with soldiers in flip-flops - and protective magical tattoos. FM and Life: same same ;)

:), well good to see it working for people, I doubt I could enjoy FM if that didn't work.

Archived