International Management

I was wondering if anyone thought that this side of the game needs to be developed?!

I mean I know that the game is focused around club managing but for the majority of managers, being appointed a coach of a national team is a huge honor and normally seen as the pinnacle of your career but in FM it almost seems like an inconvienince!!

I would like it if you were appointed coach of say England you had to leave your club job and there becomes a lot more stuff to do in the England set up. Ie you get a contract, your coaches actually mean something. You have interaction with players and club managers who manage players in your national pool, you attend press conferences after you announce your squad to explain your descions (why you called someone in or dropped someone).

You wouldnt always have to leave your club job but for big countries I think you would.

I have always thought that International management needs to be improved and I hope one day it is.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree completely that it need to be improved. I have just took over South Africa and I dont even have a contract. Its impossible to hire backroom staff as well which is extremely frustrating as I have none. And there is hardly a scouting system for it.

One thing could be some assistance or tools to help pick a team's roster. These are players that are likely outside of your home league, so there's very limited familiarity with them. I feel like I struggle to make sure the best players are included on the roster and wind up in the starting team. Perhaps that nation's football organization could give some recommendations. Or you could rely on a small team of scouts and reports. Just a couple of ideas.

I agreed that the international side of the game is a little stale but becoming solely international manager will be quite limited due the following issues -

1. There would be no contracts or buying of players (a huge part of the FM game) as they would all be decided by the board.

2. There would be limited matches until tournaments and cups come around.

3. You would have no control over pitches, and available players plus lower nations would be totally pointless to manage as they hardly play any games.

I think there are definitely things we can add to international management to enhance the experience and I'm not talking about charity work or book signings. The more suggestions the merrier!

Charity work or book signing ha ha ha, i'd love to see that, maybe we can get a clothing line as well!!!!!

One thing could be some assistance or tools to help pick a team's roster. These are players that are likely outside of your home league, so there's very limited familiarity with them. I feel like I struggle to make sure the best players are included on the roster and wind up in the starting team. Perhaps that nation's football organization could give some recommendations. Or you could rely on a small team of scouts and reports. Just a couple of ideas.

National Pool -> drop down sort International -> Sort by number of caps. That's what I do to help me.

I think there are definitely things we can add to international management to enhance the experience and I'm not talking about charity work or book signings. The more suggestions the merrier!

So not charity work ? :(

Better go back to the drawing board for ideas then.

Being able to comment on a player's transfer would be a good help. Verbeek has been doing that with the Aussie players, warning them to go to one league over another - you could tell players to try moving to Europe or join a club playing continental football, depending on the country.

Maybe certain players could approach you and ask which club would be better for them to sign for. Culina has been assured his Socceroo position isn't in jeopardy due to signing for Gold Coast next year.

Plus, if players have dual citizenship, you could offer them a chance to pick them in a major tournament squad to tempt them to change allegiance. So if you are say Senegal, and just qualified for the World Cup, you might be able to tempt a player waiting for a chance with the French squad a quicker route to play on the bigger stage. A "Offer a chance to play in the World Cup/European Championship etc". Of course, not all players would go for it, but they would be rewarded (I assume) with a reputation increase.

And finally, the old chestnut of asking players to take up citizenship so they can play for that country's national team. The game currently says players with EU citizenship don't see the need to take up citizenship, but if a national team position is on offer, they might change their mind. Novo is an EU citizen, but wanted to take up Scottish residency.

Just some ideas.

If the training programme was more detailed then you would be able to have some sort of international training schedule for the players, or more detail around your attendance of a match (such as commentary comments of "Jim Smith is in the stands today, possibly watching the likes of ... and ...) maybe the option to play in advance which games you plan on attending so you have a set of "fixtures" that you are set to watch?

One thing that's a definite for me, is that there needs to be more media/hype/news stories if you're an international manager playing at a major tournament. It's oh so easy to just play 5 or 6 games as if they were league games and then all of a sudden the tourny is over. There needs to be more of a fuss around big events. (see previous idea about players lining up for national anthems on the pitch display)

Some ideas...

- Player interaction, telling a player why you haven't called them up (need to play for a bigger team, not fully fit, resting them, not in your plans etc). Which could have knock on effects with player and their club manager (e.g. relationships - they might not allow you to pick their players for friendlys etc).

- Can you ask players to reconsider international retirement? Would be good if you could.

- More news items about your nations players and major international tournaments.

- Training camps, It'd be good to be able to arrange training camps before international tournaments, you pick a squad of 30 to be whittled to 22 during the course of the camp - based on coach reports and friendly games.

I think that managing lower nations could be massively improved. Lower ranked nations often play in tournaments or matches on non-fifa days in order to progress. If they didn't play these matches they wouldn't progress much at all. FM needs to bring in some tournaments, like the ASEAN Cup, as well as let you create your own.

I would like to be able to speak to certain managers to create relationships. I would like to be able to speak to a manager how he would play a certain player. Media for international events can be improved more as right now it is very boring and repetitive.

Training needs to be improved overall in the game. Once this is done, it can be adapted for international games and tournaments. Speaking of that, friendles before tournaments should be introduced as they are currently not a part of the game

Also, the ability to arrange more friendlies in the time between the end of the season, and the start of the World/European Cup. I only had one friendly before the World Cup, but surely teams play two or three.

Archived