Question with regards to how the GFX/3d works

i've been wondering about this for a while, browsed quite a few threads on 3d too but haven't seen an explanation or suggestion as to why: 3d which looks as the graphical detail level / quality of Fifa 96 or something requires such high level of computation in graphics card and all that? only two reasons i can think of are, a very inefficient coding system, which is somewhat forgiveable since no one plays FM for it's 'hot gfx' or is it due to the level of calculations during a match requiring a high level of computing? the latter doesn't quite make sense to me really but i'd quite like someone more tech'd up than i (for i am not a techie by any means, comptarded even) to enlighten me on this.

PS i am not moaning, i quite like the 3d; or well see potential in it growing to be very good once the numerous bugs are ironed out and all that. the only frustrating thing with it is when players are idiots but that of course is the match engine as my earlier thread on that concluded

why: 3d which looks as the graphical detail level / quality of Fifa 96 or something requires such high level of computation in graphics card and all that? only two reasons i can think of are, a very inefficient coding system, which is somewhat forgiveable since no one plays FM for it's 'hot gfx' or is it due to the level of calculations during a match requiring a high level of computing? the latter doesn't quite make sense to me really but i'd quite like someone more tech'd up than i (for i am not a techie by any means, comptarded even) to enlighten me on this.

Well, I write 3D graphics engines for PC/console games for a living, so I'd consider myself more "tech'd" up than most. However, without being able to see/profile the code itself, I'd be limited to making guesses. And I wouldn't want to do that out of respect to the boys (and girls?) at SI, as obviously most (if not all) guesses would be unfounded, unprovable and untrue.

So I'm afraid you might not get the answers you're looking for, unless the programmers themselves come on and tell you. :)

Unless I am mistaken, I thought the matches were all pregenerated - the 3D display only showed a 'playback' of what was generated previously.

From what I understand, this is shown by the pause returning to the game after you make changes - the pause is the ME caculating what happened post changes.

I'd be interested to hear an official line, but you've a snowball's chance in hell of that considering that SI can't even replay to a fantastic critical evaluation thread about the requirement for 7 start coaches.

From my experience of these forums, if it paints them in a bad light, they will not post an explanation.

I would guess the reason that it uses so much more computing power that it appears to need is that it's background processing other stuff (fixtures in other leagues etc) at the same time as your match. And regarding SI not responding, they don't tend to respond much to threads that discuss the inner workings of the game (such as the 7 star training thread). I think they'd rather leave it up to peoples imaginations, instead of just reducing it to a numbers game.

Archived