Which players need improving and which need downgrading in FM 09?

In my opinion some players in fm 08 are overrated and some are so underrated.

In my opinion, Santa Cruz should be improved as well as Jermaine Beckford. Although Beckford has come good on few occasions he still needs that little bit more. But that isn't as important as what's needed for Santa Cruz IMO.

I'm not sure about downgrading at the moment but would like your guys thoughts...Thanks in advance!

In my opinion some players in fm 08 are overrated and some are so underrated.

In my opinion, Santa Cruz should be improved as well as Jermaine Beckford. Although Beckford has come good on few occasions he still needs that little bit more. But that isn't as important as what's needed for Santa Cruz IMO.

I'm not sure about downgrading at the moment but would like your guys thoughts...Thanks in advance!

I don't think Santa Cruz should be improved too much, he may turn into another Benni McCarthy and be crap next season.

Altering peoples ability is a risky buisness, think of it as Berbatov having an awful season next year and being absolute pants, you can't really downgrade his PA because given past seasons it's quite obvious that he does have that potential ability. Altering their starting ability in relation to current frm maybe, but altering PA etc is difficult to judge.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the only ones that really count are the researchers, so our opinions aren't going to count for much until we've played the beta version and filled the data forums with some sort of consensus.

And when the beta does come out, the stats are based on historical data. So Ronaldo might be a world beater on FM09 but in reality perhaps his dog dies, his morale dips, concentration goes to pop and he has an absolute stinker next year.

Let me show you what i mean by "everyone has his own opinion":

Re Beckford, his stats are fine - maybe up his strength could improve but I think 15 is fine for finishing. He can't dribble, cross, pass, or head the ball and his teamwork stat should be woeful. Having watched him on several occasions this season I find him to be an on-pitch whinger, so his attitude sucks IMO. I sit fairly close to the dugout and McAlister wanted him to play wide to exploit a slowish full back (I assume) while Kandol held it up in the middle - it took him at least five minutes of arguing to get him out there and once he was there he sulked his way through the last ten minutes of the game which Leeds drew. Since Dougie Freedman has shown up at the club it has shown Beckford to be a fairly average player, despite his goalscoring record, which IMO is down to his pace, strength and finishing. Oh, and he misses 3-4 good chances a game, meaning his composure's low.

Frankly, if we beat Donny on Sunday we should cash in on him - he won't hack it in the Championship (he didn't last season, after all). Oh, just like on FM. icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

If you have any specific issues, post them in the data forum.

My two cents, by the way, the two players whose stats specifically I think need adjusting:

UP: Theo Walcott

DOWN: Luke Moore </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shh, keep Luke Moore good, he'll be at West Brom next season!

Also, Victor Moses/Aaron Ramsey should have higher PAs now, as should Jack Wilshere.

Like Hershie has said, if people think a player is over or under rated, the data forums is the place to be.

No good going into the Chelsea thread and saying things like

Sheva is over rated, should have 3 for finishing.

Terry is the best DC in the world should have 20 for this this and this.

You need to support the idea's you are putting forward and the researchers and other people will post their opinions, they may agree, they may not. But conversation can lead to understanding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Re Beckford, his stats are fine - maybe up his strength could improve but I think 15 is fine for finishing. He can't dribble, cross, pass, or head the ball and his teamwork stat should be woeful. Having watched him on several occasions this season I find him to be an on-pitch whinger, so his attitude sucks IMO. I sit fairly close to the dugout and McAlister wanted him to play wide to exploit a slowish full back (I assume) while Kandol held it up in the middle - it took him at least five minutes of arguing to get him out there and once he was there he sulked his way through the last ten minutes of the game which Leeds drew. Since Dougie Freedman has shown up at the club it has shown Beckford to be a fairly average player, despite his goalscoring record, which IMO is down to his pace, strength and finishing. Oh, and he misses 3-4 good chances a game, meaning his composure's low.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with his attitude, composure and team work stat, but his dribbling and heading should definately be improved. He has scored many great goals off his head this season, and can definately use it.

I think that if they stopped the 'footedness' of a player taking up CA points then that would go along why to making players stats look right.

as others had finally convinced me after a originally refused to accept, being able to use both feet should be a stat multiplyer rather than taking CA points away from other stats.

I know its irrelevant as hes close to retiring but ive always had a gripe about Tugays attributes in the game - while physically he may not be the best in the world, his technique is up there with the very best, i don't think he's ever even been given a passing rating of 20!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Medicineman:

and also can alan smith be finally be demoted to the championship class standard striker that he is - don't know what his CA is but he's always been given stats that are way too good for him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like i said in my post earlier, there is a place for posting about players stats, its not here. Most researchers dont frequent GQ but do frequent the data threads for their assigned clubs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Linfield Fc:

Cristiano Ronaldos Stats should be improved as he is now the best player in the world and im not a united fan and no one can argue that he isnt the best </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can, and have. icon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Linfield Fc:

Cristiano Ronaldos Stats should be improved as he is now the best player in the world and im not a united fan and no one can argue that he isnt the best </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May I refer you here:

Ronaldo

And also remind you that what you are giving is an opinion. And opinions are what we call subjective, and are therefore not the be all and end all. Could Ronaldo do a good job as a GK? Or LB? We don't know. He is not the best player in the world. In your opinion he is, but Ferdinand played just an important part in the game. And may I remind you that the best player in the second half was Ballack. Does that make him the best player in the world?

I have all faith in SI to get the stats right in the game. Ronaldo will be one of 5 or 6 players to have a CA of 190+ and that is how it should be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

I have all faith in SI to get the stats right in the game. Ronaldo will be one of 5 or 6 players to have a CA of 190+ and that is how it should be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

Being Swedish, I believe I have some insight into a few:

Sebastian Larsson has made some fantastic international appearances and should be upgraded.

Mikael Lustig is good already but should be upgraded slightly.

Christian Wilhelmson needs a slight upgrade.

Ken Fagerberg is not as good IRL as on FM.

Centre back Per Karlsson (AIK) looks like he is becoming a world-class player, needs pa upgrade.

Matt Derbyshire and Shane Long need downgrading. They're forty-goal-a-season strikers on my game. Totally unrealistic.

I agree that Cristiano Ronaldo, on the face of it, seems to need upgrading. But it's not quite as simple as that. I think Fabregas doesn't seem as good on the game as he does in real life, either.

I agree with Larsson, he always performs well for Brum.

I think wilhelmson got downgraded quite a bit as he didnt fullfill his potential. He was wanted by many clubs over Europe, and after that shocker of a season at Roma, he then went to Bolton and didnt play much. If he has a big season than he will be upgraded I expect. I havnt seen this season though.

I agree with Long and Derbyshire, but they were both expected to have very good seasons this year. Ronaldo and Fabregas can both play amazing in game if you put them in the right system. Cesc ran my Arsenal team, and Ronaldos scoring for fun in my new Utd save!

this is a difficult question, i recall somebody complaining that Benjani's shooting was too low at Pompey, considering he was on fire at the time. most people agreed, but if you look at what happened at man city in comparason (12/15 league goals for pompey), you couldn't argue with his consistancy rating, although he has certainly improved a lot. but you can never tell who is going to have a great run of form.

walcotts shooting has never really improved, even on fm07 his shooting was 12-15 despite 40 goals per season for me. he's showed signs of developing as a striker in a few games this season irl, so his shooting should at least improve more with training in fm09 than it does in fm08. but you never know, it might be another season as an AMR for him irl.

Archived