Own Goals - the official rulings?

My goalkeeper was just credited with an own goal.

The opponents were on the attack, and whips in a wicked shot that my keeper has no chance of saving...

I'm lucky enough that the ball hits the post and comes diagonally back out, where the keeper is in mid air diving for the initial shot.

The returning ball hits him in the back, and goes over the goal line.

Surely this is not officially scored an own goal by the keeper, as there is absolutely nothing he can do about it?

---

I've also had some defenders credited with own goals after it's taken a deflection off them... used to be (at least in England) that the opposing striker would be credited with the goal, unless the shot was clearly headed well wide of the net... but the shots I've noticed this in look pretty darn dangerous from the beginning.

Basically, does anyone know what the official rulings for own goals are?

nah mate there has been a couple of occasions where the ball have came off post and crossbar and its an o.g. to the GK.

So yeah o.g.

If the ball was on target from the original shot and deflected past the keeper it is the strikers goal. Only o.g if the original shot was off target and then got deflected

It is an own goal - clearly the ball wouldn't have gone in if it didn't hit his head/back.

-----

The one with defenders is a fifty-fifty thing. I've seen shots that would've gone in without deflection for sure to be classified as an own goal just because a defender deflected it by maybe 15 centimetres (like Tarnats free-kick in the 1998 world cup) and then a goal was credited to a striker even though without the help of a defenders foot/chest/head/bum would probably have caused severe damage to MIR/ISS....

Basically' date=' does anyone know what the official rulings for own goals are?[/quote']

The general rule (in England at least) is that if the ball would've been on target without the defending player touching it, it's not an own goal. So in this case, it's clearly an own goal as the ball would've bounced clear were it not for the keeper.

Archived