A bit intimidated.....Will I enjoy FM 09 if i buy?

Ok everyone, if i may ask a question. I'm a bit intimidated at the sheer amount of information out there about the new FM. I played CM a long time ago and enjoyed it very much. I no longer have the same amount of time to play as I used to, so i was hoping yall could answer some questions.

First, how tough is the game? I used to play a lot but I don't want to play it now if it is too difficult to figure out. I'd prefer to manage one club and use a handful of effective tactics made and designed by others. I don't really care for the intricate training stuff and would want to play to manage personnel, scout for young players, build and watch a team, etc.

When I used to play, I would sim most games and watch how players developed, etc and see what happened over the long haul. It was never too terribly challenging, but, then again, that's not why I played the game. That's how I'd like to play now but if it's too difficult to get going, figure out, and enjoy some reasonable success along the way, then I'd probably take a pass.

Any thoughts? Would FM 08 be a better bet? If there are a good selection of tactics somewhere, I'd probably go that route. I'm sure I'll incur some wrath from the purists, but this is how I prefer (or at least used to prefer) to play the game.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Re. tactics - if you decide to go with the standard tactics you'll probably find it frustrating. Downloading tactics from the tactics forum should be enough to help you through this year's improved match engine though.

One (or even a handful) of tactics won't guarantee anything, it all comes down to your players, attitude to the press, teamtalks, and many other things. FM09 is VERY deep and challenging so it doesn't sound like it would be for you. Perhaps you could download the demo first and see what you think. Alternatively you can now download CM01/02 free online now with the latest updates.

If you want very easy(but not that realistic) game , basically on autopilot , then FM 08 is your choice.

For all other check FM09(depending what upcoming patch brings it) or patched FM 07 and older.They are way better then anything that FM 08 has to offer, but some people do find it frustrating, mostly because they can't win everything right away and you have to play around with tactics little bit.

FM 2009 is a much better game than FM 2008. The addition of the 3D view, despite it's imperfections, has brought a good amount of fun back into the series that had been missing for a little spell after CM 01/02 (the only exception being FM 2007, which I rated as SI's best game to dat).

Thanks Matt, I will.

Perhaps more pointed questions will make it easier.

1. In Fm 09, will i be able to download a handful of tactics made by others, and then enjoy some success? I'm not able, nor do i have the time, to work on tactics. It seems as though people are having some difficulty plugging in a few tactics and being successful.

2. Same question as 1, but re: training. Are training regimens easy to download and install and apply? Seems as though I recall in CM4 or some version (I think when the training function was upgraded) that training was complicated (at least to me) and I was unable and/or unwilling to figure it out. I suppose I'm a more casual player (is that even possible anymore? ;) ).

Where can I get FM 2007?

I think CM01/02 and FM'05 are your best bets for the style of play you're describing.

However, I'd definitely recommend trying the FM'09 demo and reading some of the threads here on the forum. I think you'll find it very rewarding if you do come to terms with it.

So far, I think it's quite good. I don't think the match engine is quite up to 3D yet but it's not as bad as I'd imagined before buying it (judging from the whining on these fora).

There are a few too many long shots (tactics considered) and the strikers do seem a bit cack but it's hard to guage as I'm managing such a poor team in a poor standard of league.

Plus, there's another patch pending.

I think yes, you will enjoy it. I, like yourself, doesn't care much for training and tactics and all that. I took over King's Lynn in the Blue Square North and have them sitting 3rd in the table, 5 points behind the leaders with 2 games in hand... so if I win those I'm top of the league (I'm not counting on that, though!). Game date is around now in real life, so I'm doing better than the real King's Lynn!

I made my own tacics by altering one of the existing ones on the game, and it's working ok. I need to change to a more direct style if the weather is wet, but apart from that, I'm quite happy just letting my tactics stay and ignoring training. It works for me, but maybe not for everyone!

The way I see it is that FM09 is the most solid and realistic football management game yet. HOWEVER. It can be hard to understand what's going on and difficult to get into a good groove. If you have some patience and willingness to educate yourself, you should be able to enjoy the best FM to date. If for some reason you fail to find a working formula... you'll be miserable.

The way I see it is that FM09 is the most solid and realistic football management game yet. HOWEVER. It can be hard to understand what's going on and difficult to get into a good groove. If you have some patience and willingness to educate yourself, you should be able to enjoy the best FM to date. If for some reason you fail to find a working formula... you'll be miserable.

Yes, I think I'd like to at least try the most recent game (more support, discussion, tactics to download, etc.) as long as it's reasonably possible to develop/download a stable of effective tactics (say 5-10, depending on home/away, off/def, etc.) and a standard training regimen that I can download/apply and leave alone. I like to scout for/find players myself, and I would likely use the editor to make the game a bit easier (it can be tremendously difficult as I recall, and I'm not the most patient guy) and then let it go.

Archived