Do youth players start with automatic contracts in FM09?

I am in my 4th season with Hyde. Club just turned professional. I recently received notification that xyz youth player is now eligible for pro contract. I usually use this announcement to evaluate the player and sign/release him depending on coaches feedback. But to my shock the player was already signed to 4 year contract. The wage was not huge (3K annually) but still it would hurt to release the player given my lower league status.

Worse, it seems that all my youth players are signed to the exact same contract with exact same end date.

Is this some sort of new feature in FM09?

Akaz

PS> Ass Man auto renewals of contracts is switched off.

Maybe he had already signed a pre contract deal before the game started?

other than that its very strange. Ive never ignored that news item but have no idea what happens if you do?

I dont think its a required response one is it?

I didnt ignore that news item. Like you, i always immediately go the players page to review his situation.

I have seen something similar but not with as long of a contract. I have often had players turn 17 and the usual message of offering player x a pro contract. When I see if he is any use and decide he is not I find he may be contracted until the following year on a youth contact and it would cost me a few grand to release him on a free. I don't know if this is normal IRL but it has happened to me on a constant basis in the last 3 versions of the game so it's not a bug IMO.

Archived