Regens - acceleration

I think the regens are great this year... Here, I'm just going to pick 10 random regens out of my squad in 2014 and say their acceleration:

Dieferson (GK, 21 years): 17

Clayton (DL, 20 years): 13

Alvaro (ST, 19 years): 16

Lampley (ST, 20 years): 13

Perez (ST, 20 years): 17

McNally (ST, 21 years): 16

Robinson (MC, 18 years): 10

Hicks (DR, 19 years): 12

Lake (AMC, 18 years): 13

Sadler (DC, 16 years): 13

Hmmm... They are almost all bit higher than 12. In fact they are a tad slower (a tad) than most of my first team in those positions. They will probably pick up their pace a tad.

I think the regens are great this year... Here, I'm just going to pick 10 random regens out of my squad in 2014 and say their acceleration:

Dieferson (GK, 21 years): 17

Clayton (DL, 20 years): 13

Alvaro (ST, 19 years): 16

Lampley (ST, 20 years): 13

Perez (ST, 20 years): 17

McNally (ST, 21 years): 16

Robinson (MC, 18 years): 10

Hicks (DR, 19 years): 12

Lake (AMC, 18 years): 13

Sadler (DC, 16 years): 13

Hmmm... They are almost all bit higher than 12. In fact they are a tad slower (a tad) than most of my first team in those positions. They will probably pick up their pace a tad.

Exactly. I checked AI team rosters too, and same situation. ALmost every regen has great acceleration. I wonder if it will be fixed :(

Exactly. I checked AI team rosters too, and same situation. ALmost every regen has great acceleration. I wonder if it will be fixed :(

Not really, that's my handpicked up and comers. If they didn't have good acceleration I probably wouldn't have selected them. As I said before, my entire first team has acceleration of 14+ with only 3 exemptions.

I really don't see anything wrong with it. I can do that list again with some random youth team... Let's say... Blackburn if that will make you feel better.

I think acceleration is the one trait that every player requires IRL. That is, it is the one attribute a player can't do without if he is to make it at the top level.

So it makes sense they all have better than average acceleration.

I think acceleration is the one trait that every player requires IRL. That is, it is the one attribute a player can't do without if he is to make it at the top level.

So it makes sense they all have better than average acceleration.

What on Earth gives you that impression?

I would class technique for example as far more important than acceleration.

Personally I would also class workrate, determination, and decisions above acceleration.

Just for the record here are the acceleration values of my youth team.

Seems a decent mix to me.

What on Earth gives you that impression?

I would class technique for example as far more important than acceleration.

Personally I would also class workrate, determination, and decisions above acceleration.

Acceleration is a permanent filter on my player search screen, I refuse to sign anyone whose acceleration is less than 10 and it the first attribute I look at for every position. Whether lower league management or in the premiership, speed has always felt vital to me.

Decisions is the second attribute I look at, then third is handling/tackling/passing/finishing depending on position.

Acceleration is a permanent filter on my player search screen, I refuse to sign anyone whose acceleration is less than 10 and it the first attribute I look at for every position. Whether lower league management or in the premiership, speed has always felt vital to me.

Decisions is the second attribute I look at, then third is handling/tackling/passing/finishing depending on position.

I know that all the physical abilities are a little too important, but what is the point on filtering IN a player who has acceleration of say 10 for example, (but only 5 for actual speed) but filtering out a player who might have only 9 for acceleration but a decent pace stat of 15 for example?

I know that often the pace/acceleration stats are linked, but I really don't see why you would use acceleration as a filter rather than pace.

True.

Speed is what defines the players in the English Premier League; it's what sets them apart from players in many other leagues.

And by 'speed' I refer more to Acceleration than Pace, because Acceleration is used in every run a player makes. Pace isn't really a factor until the run is 40m or more.

Speed is what lets players be first to the ball, it's what allows players to recover from mistakes. If your team is faster than the opposition then you control where and when the one-on-ones occur.

There are technically brilliant players starring in South American leagues right now who will never make it into the Premiership because they are just too slow.

Note also that Stamina is just as important (Acceleration plus Stamina = typical Premiership high closing down play) but anyone can improve their Stamina. No adult that is slow will ever be anything but slow. Even most kids in their late teens will never be much faster than they already are.

True.

Speed is what defines the players in the English Premier League; it's what sets them apart from players in many other leagues.

And by 'speed' I refer more to Acceleration than Pace, because Acceleration is used in every run a player makes. Pace isn't really a factor until the run is 40m or more.

Speed is what lets players be first to the ball, it's what allows players to recover from mistakes. If your team is faster than the opposition then you control where and when the one-on-ones occur.

There are technically brilliant players starring in South American leagues right now who will never make it into the Premiership because they are just too slow.

Note also that Stamina is just as important (Acceleration plus Stamina = typical Premiership high closing down play) but anyone can improve their Stamina. No adult that is slow will ever be anything but slow. Even most kids in their late teens will never be much faster than they already are.

I thought that acceleration determines how quickly you reach your top speed. In that respect, could you not have a guy with acceleration of 18 and speed of 8, but that would only mean he got to his top speed of 8 very quickly.

I use pace, and then make sure they have decent acceleration so that they reach it quickly?

I know that all the physical abilities are a little too important, but what is the point on filtering IN a player who has acceleration of say 10 for example, (but only 5 for actual speed) but filtering out a player who might have only 9 for acceleration but a decent pace stat of 15 for example?

I'm sure he wouldn't take a player with 5 for Pace either. But he probably would take central midfielders that had a 7 or 8 for pace as long as their acceleration was 10 or more.

And the physical stats are spot on for importance if you're going to play a fast, Northern Europe style game. As you might've seen IRL, managers often try and carry players with poor technical or mental attributes but who possess excellent physical attributes. And in most cases they work out just fine.

But a player with poor physical attributes has nowhere to hide in such a fast league as the EPL, regardless of his skills or his football brain. He'd be a defensive liability and would just get marked and pressed out of the attacking side of the game.

As for your player with 9 acceleration but 15 for pace, with bum acceleration like that he would rarely get to use his pace. It would be mostly wasted.

I know that often the pace/acceleration stats are linked, but I really don't see why you would use acceleration as a filter rather than pace.

I answered this in my post above.

Teddy Sheringham was pretty slow.

Razor Ruddick was pretty slow.

Jan Molby was really slow.

Also, I dispute that speed, (in terms of pace), is what defines the English Premier League.

I would actually say that speed of tempo is what defines the English Premier League.

John Terry has been one of the moist consistant DC's playing in this country for years. He certainly is not quick by any stretch of the imagination.

Come to think of it the old midfielder at Blackburn was a pretty effective player despite being old and slow.

I thought that acceleration determines how quickly you reach your top speed. In that respect, could you not have a guy with acceleration of 18 and speed of 8, but that would only mean he got to his top speed of 8 very quickly.

You're right of course, and I would only take a player with 8 for pace in central midfield, as long as his other physical stats were excellent. I might also take a defender that slow as long as my other defenders were fast. Of course this is in a big league like the EPL or Bundesliga. In the Spanish Segunda B I'd go as low as Pace 3 or 4 at certain positions (DM, MC, one defender out of the 4, an AMC if he had massive mental and technical skills) as long as their acceleration was 8 or more.

I use pace, and then make sure they have decent acceleration so that they reach it quickly?

Isn't that the same thing? You filter players for Pace based on position (which might mean a Pace of 15 or more for certain positons) and apply a blanket Acceleration filter (for example an acceleration of 10)?

The turn of speed is what can create or snuff out an opportunity, defenders with decent acceleration are more likely to be first to the ball and less likely to be beaten by a through ball.

Goalies with acceleration are more likely to win the race to get to a ball.

Midfielders are more likely to find a bit of space quicker and get to a nearby ball first.

Strikers are more likely to lose their marker.

Overall pace as stated earlier is really only necessary for long runs (wingers, fullbacks) imo.

Of course this is just my opinion and it's what works for me :)

Teddy Sheringham was pretty slow.

Razor Ruddick was pretty slow.

Jan Molby was really slow.

I think you'll find that these players were only slow by English Premier League standards.

I bet they were all faster than you or me.

Note also that the EPL has gotten quicker in recent years and all your examples are of ex-players.

Also, I dispute that speed, (in terms of pace), is what defines the English Premier League.

I would actually say that speed of tempo is what defines the English Premier League.

And you'd be right but high tempo pressing and passing requires players that can get to the ball quickly and chase for prolonged periods (ie. acceleration plus stamina). In defence they are constantly making quick bursts to stay on their man and in attack they are constantly trying to stay away from him. With the high turnover rate in the EPL, most players spend the entire 90 minutes making 10-40 metre runs.

John Terry has been one of the moist consistant DC's playing in this country for years. He certainly is not quick by any stretch of the imagination.

I put it to you that John Terry only seems slow compared to many of the strikers he plays against (who will often have pace and/or acceleration higher than 15 in FM terms). If he played in Italy or Argentina he would be one of the fastest centrebacks in the competition.

Funnily enough, FM09 puts him at Acceleration 12. An above average attribute score. This is a guy you put forward as an example of somebody who is lacking in speed.

And he's probably the slowest any centreback could be and still excel in the Premiership.

Sami Hyypia, hes slow, and looks slow, but still a great defender even though hes getting on a bit.

Loads of midfielders dont need pace, a ball will always go quicker than anyone can run, so as long as you can pass, and make some space for yourself you don't need acceleration or pace that high.

Thats why a lot of over 30 midfielders change thier game, and teams put one old one young in central midfield. Look at Murphy at Fulham, still playing great, but cant run for toffee any more.

Sami Hyypiä is hardly what you'd call "still a great defender". A couple of years ago maybe but last year the only thing he did quickly was hit the wall.

Danny Murphy is a noteworthy exception though and as I said, central midfielders don't need as much speed as players around the edges of the pitch.

But he's hardly a topline MC. He's at Fulham for God's sake. And the scout judged his Pace and Acceleration as 9. Marginally below average. Is this the slowest first team player in the Premiership? Because if so he proves my point.

Murphys been playing well this season, in an average team, proves the point. ;) Class shows. Berbatov is another, cant run for toffee, his acceleration is that of a snail, but positionally he good, with great ball skills etc, which is all he needs to be great.

Hyypia has been playing well this season, last season wasnt so good, but at 260 yrs old its impressive.

Snoweel.

Jan Molby, Teddy Sheringham and Razor Ruddock were slow by anyone's standards.

Jan Molby used to get a nose bleed if he moved out of the centre-circle for God's sake:D.

I bet they were all faster than you or me.

None of these players were ever faster than I was at the same age.

I was a bit of an egg-chasing speed merchant in my younger days.

I would hazard a guess that I am still quicker even now than Molby or Ruddock ever were.

You seem to have completely missed the point about JT and are just choosing pick what bits you want from my post.

I'm ill at the moment and really can't be arsed to argue.

Snoweel.

Jan Molby, Teddy Sheringham and Razor Ruddock were slow by anyone's standards.

Jan Molby used to get a nose bleed if he moved out of the centre-circle for God's sake:D.

Fair enough, they were slow.

Notice you don't see those types of players in the Premiership anymore? It's just too fast for them.

None of these players were ever faster than I was at the same age.

I was a bit of an egg-chasing speed merchant in my younger days.

I would hazard a guess that I am still quicker even now than Molby or Ruddock ever were.

My point was that they were faster than the average Joe. If you happen to be faster than the average Joe yourself then you're a poor example aren't you? Being slower than someone who is fast doesn't make them slow.

You seem to have completely missed the point about JT and are just choosing pick what bits you want from my post.

Not at all.

I said speed is what separates Premiership players from players in other top leagues and you provided Terry as an example of why that is not true.

The fact that Terry has above average Pace and Acceleration yet still manages to be one of the slowest players in the Premiership proves that there is no place for pedestrians in the EPL.

qed

Terry doesn't have above average pace and acceleration.

That's my point.

Because a game rates him at 11 or 12 or whatever it is doesn't mean that he has above average pace. It means that he is rated above half-way by SI's attribute system.

JT is slow. There is no getting around it. A hell of a defender, but slow nevertheless. Whatever the Chelsea researcher and Head Resaervher have sorted between them doesn't mean that he is quick.

If you want to stick to the idea that their rating system of speed is accurate and not skewed then who am I to argue.

I'm biased towards signing players with good physical stats every since FM07 when I had a beast of a regen who had 19 or 20 in every physical stat and he just tore strips off everyone.

That and every good loan signing I've had for my lower league game have have 15 acceleration and demolishes the oppositions defensive line.

What about

Paul Scholes and Zinedine Zidan.

Neither where/are fast never have been but it's quite fair to say both have made pretty good careers in pro football.

Both perform/performed quite well even at an old age.

It is true though that good physical stats are to important in FM. This is why i don't usually use "old" players in my games.

You don't need Theo Walcott speed to be considered fast.

I guarantee Paul Scholes and Zinedine Zidane had good acceleration when they were at their peak. Even in old age they were average speed. If they looked slow it was because of the players around them.

Same with Terry. He's certainly not fast, but no way is he slow, unless you compare him to the fast players in the Premiership but that's just the point - Terry is a player of average speed who is slow for the Premiership.

That's how fast Premiership players are - if you're not fast you're slow. Even if your pace and pcceleration are both higher than 10 (call it "half way" if you want, it is the average. That's why Captain Planet filters out all players with acceleration below 10).

Less than that and you're just too slow. A central midfielder might get away with 9 for acceleration and pace (as with Danny Murphy) but the slowest players you really should be signing in the Premiership will have acceleration no less than 10.

Which means... someone like John Terry will be one of the slowest defenders in the competition!!!

Do you understand Jimbokav?

Even though he will be much faster than defenders in slower leagues, like Serie A or the Spanish Primera, because he is not slow, he is AVERAGE, in the Premiership which has much faster players he will be one of the slowest.

Hence, the Premiership requires players with a minimum acceleration score. Any less than that and they will be too slow for the Premiership. So acceleration is the defining attribute of Premiership players (along with stamina).

Am I making it clear?

You can call John Terry slow if it makes you feel better but the fact remains his pace and acceleration are both high enough for the Premiership but only just.

That's because if you're slower than average (which John Terry isn't even though you prefer to call him slow because the EPL is the only league you watch) then you are too slow for the Premiership.

You see Jimbokav? That's why the OP has regens with better than average acceleration attributes.

The English game is very much a physical league, or at least it used to be; Because of the league's growing reputation technical players, with decent/good physical "stats", are also attracted to the league in recent years. For me, Torres, is a good example of such a player.

So acceleration and pace are certainly important in the "real life version" of the EPL. Don't know if it is really required in FM. As is argued before, I think certain positions in the game are not that dependant on pace/acceleration. I managed to let Riquelme perform absolutely brilliant as a AM on previous versions. Don't think that has changed that much.

But having said this, I personally tend to think that the main thing that makes the EPL stand out and different compared to for example Spain and Italy, is it's tempo (like argued before in this thread). The English game is so very fast. Spain is a very technical league and I think Italy is more based on strenght (don't watch Italian football that much, so I don't really know)

So-in game stats that need to be high for average players in the EPL, if the game would reflect real life, should be physical stats (including pace/acceleration but evenly important are strenght and stamina) and mental stats like decisions and anticipation.

And on-topic ;) :

A lot of quality regens (in term of PA) seem to have very good physical stats. I think the overall quality of regens has improved a lot in this version (compared to most earlier incarnations). So average acceleration is indeed pretty high.

But I have seen enough exceptions to break this general rule! This keeps things interesting because not all regens are super athletes and there will remain some mainly technical super stars around (to follow in the footsteps of Riquelme and the like).

I really wonder whether there are different average stats for regens per nation/league. Although this would always be controversial (are English players always "stronger" than more "technical" Spanish ones)....

Long post and I don't really know what I wanted to write when I started.... I decided to post anyway, maybe some things make sense when I re-read it :D

Scholes was quite fast in youth team but pace not acceleration, he used to play as a striker back then. Took him quarter of the pitch to get going, and his arms are all over the place when he sprints. Don't think he runs fast because it embarrasses his mates! :D

Loads of teams have slow players in the premiership still, just because FM has em at reasonable pace, doesn't make it true.

Tugay still plays as a sub and he has trouble walking, still plays well.

scholes and zidane have never been quick or even 'ok' off the mark, zidane of course had a wonderfully elegant turn of pace to him but that only lasted for maybe a metre but his obscenely good ability in more or less every other part of the game sorted any pace issues.

to summarise what you people are going in circles about: NO you do not need to be fast to be a top player. you can be successful at any part of the pitch (except perhaps full back nowadays) without being above average for acc/pace. but YES, i would choose a player who f.ex: avg mental stats are 13, so are technical. but avg physical is 16. agg = 36, over someone who is 15/15 for ment/tech but 10 for physical.

scholes and zidane have never been quick or even 'ok' off the mark

Mate, they were among the highest paid athletes in the world - if you think they weren't gifted with that explosive athletic quality you are kidding yourself.

They mightn't have been as fast as the blokes who made names for themselves as being fast players but both Scholes and Zidane would've blown most normal people away for acceleration.

Both of them would've been among the fastest players at school for example. Obviously by the time they got on TV they were surrounded by people who were just as fast but don't let it skew your perception. They both had acceleration far above that of normal people, even if it was nothing special for their respective leagues.

zidane of course had a wonderfully elegant turn of pace to him but that only lasted for maybe a metre

So he slowed down after a metre? Rubbish.

It's all relative - after a metre the faster players caught up. Had Zidane been on a field with an amateur pub team he would have been one of the quickest players on the pitch.

Don't romanticise that these players had a physical shortfall that they made up for with brains and skill. They were elite athletes. They would've made anyone here (except Jimbokav because he was super fast, apparently) look like we were standing still.

If they looked slow it was because of the company they were in when we saw them run.

If you were slow when you played then no, you never would have made it in the Premiership. No matter if you'd spent 8 hours a day every day of your childhood working on your technical skills. Your level of slow was nothing like Scholes or Terry slow - they're not slow; they're just slow for top level players.

to summarise what you people are going in circles about: NO you do not need to be fast to be a top player. you can be successful at any part of the pitch (except perhaps full back nowadays) without being above average for acc/pace.

But can you be successful if you are actually slow? No you can't.

but YES, i would choose a player who f.ex: avg mental stats are 13, so are technical. but avg physical is 16. agg = 36, over someone who is 15/15 for ment/tech but 10 for physical.

As would all the Premiership clubs.

Guys, you all got away from the main topic / my concern.

When I look at the average acceleration of my first set of regens (and other teams' new kids too) I see that their average is equal if not more than the average of my 1st team. And these are 15-16 year old kids which means their acceleration will only improve, and eventually far exceed the average acceleration of the original players in the game.

SI should not only look at the average CA and PA of the regens and compare them with the original players' CA and PA's, but they should do it one by one for every attribute. Only then they can make sure that the distribution of the CA and PA are proper in the regens.

Snoweel, your talkin out your hat, or never go watch reserve and premiership football. Lots of players use technique and movement rather than acceleration or pace, long as they can make a yard of room, they are fine.

Look at the average team in the premiership, Blackburn, Fulham, West Ham etc and week after week you will see players leaving other ones behind, does that mean they will get the sack next game, no, just means some are faster than others and others make up with skill what they don't have in other areas. Loads of "slow" strikers in the premiership to. Look at crouch, takes him half an hour to get up some speed if he has to run anywhere.

Loads of players with bags of skill, pace and power dont make it either. 2 brazilians spring to mind, Kleberson and Veron, or what about Shevchenko? Anderson at NU?

Your only as fast as the company you keep. Where not talking about how fast pro footballers are compared to mere humans. Where talking about players who are compared to their peers and how they hold up to them.

And quite frankly scholes and zidane have never been quick. They are slow players in relation to their teammates/opponents.

But both are legends. Only goes to show you don't have to be the fastest to make a huge mark on a game.

ps.

Guys, you all got away from the main topic / my concern.

Sorry about that.

Snoweel, your talkin out your hat, or never go watch reserve and premiership football. Lots of players use technique and movement rather than acceleration or pace, long as they can make a yard of room, they are fine.

Look at the average team in the premiership, Blackburn, Fulham, West Ham etc and week after week you will see players leaving other ones behind, does that mean they will get the sack next game, no, just means some are faster than others and others make up with skill what they don't have in other areas. Loads of "slow" strikers in the premiership to. Look at crouch, takes him half an hour to get up some speed if he has to run anywhere.

Loads of players with bags of skill, pace and power dont make it either. 2 brazilians spring to mind, Kleberson and Veron, or what about Shevchenko? Anderson at NU?

You're missing the point mate.

I'm not saying every player has Pace and Acceleration of 15+ (to use FM terms); I'm saying nobody (except some aging players who are well past their best) would have scores lower than 10 (an average score). Not in the Premiership anyway. The reserve leagues and League 1 and lower might be full of these blokes but Premiership clubs have enough money that they can take their pick. They don't need to sign slow players and so they don't. The ones they sign that seem slow are just slow for the league standard.

It's fast players that get signed by academies because it's the only quality that can't be taught.

Your only as fast as the company you keep. Where not talking about how fast pro footballers are compared to mere humans.

Actually we are.

Jimbokav had a problem with me and CaptainPlanet listing acceleration as a mandatory 10+ score for our Premiership players. When he tried to argue the point by listing examples of the slowest players in the EPL it turned out that their acceleration scores were average compared to mere humans.

Which justifies the acceleration filter of 10.

Where talking about players who are compared to their peers and how they hold up to them.

We're talking about why the OP's regens all have acceleration scores greater than 12. And why it's realistic.

And quite frankly scholes and zidane have never been quick.

I bet they both had acceleration scores greater than 12. That's quicker than your 'mere mortal'.

I put it to you that at their peak they both had acceleration scores close to 15. They just might have seemed slow because their pace hovered around 10.

But they both got to loose balls, they both managed to get away from their markers with regularity. Neither would have been so special by just relying on technical and mental skill.

I know internet geeks have a special loathing for the physically gifted but you need to wake up and realise that your "slow" heroes like Scholes and Zidane were also physically gifted. They just weren't as physically gifted as blokes like Walcott or Henry.

They are slow players in relation to their teammates/opponents.

This is what I've been saying.

But both are legends. Only goes to show you don't have to be the fastest to make a huge mark on a game.

Nobody said you have to be the fastest. Just that if you're too slow all the technical skill in the world won't help you.

Your working out just doesn't add up, using your scale that top players would average 13 or 14, above average 15-16 and v fast players 18-20, then players 8-12 would be only good enough for championship or lower.

If you equate that to real world and Premiership, which is faster than most top leagues, its just not true.

Your working out just doesn't add up, using your scale that top players would average 13 or 14, above average 15-16 and v fast players 18-20, then players 8-12 would be only good enough for championship or lower.

If you equate that to real world and Premiership, which is faster than most top leagues, its just not true.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Top players 13-14?

I never said players are ranked by their acceleration; some of the worst players in the Premiership are probably the fastest and as we've discussed, some of the best players are the slowest.

But these slowest players are still not slow by the standards of world football. The nature of the EPL style requires everyone to have a threshold level of acceleration (which we've described as average; 10 in FM terms) to even be able to compete.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Top players 13-14?

You were saying most top players even though they look slow, in FM terms, would have an acceleration/pace of 13 or 14 minimum.

I never said players are ranked by their acceleration; some of the worst players in the Premiership are probably the fastest and as we've discussed, some of the best players are the slowest.

Aye, but according to you there is a cap, below which, no matter the talent, a player would be crap. Still rubbish tbh.

But these slowest players are still not slow by the standards of world football. The nature of the EPL style requires everyone to have a threshold level of acceleration (which we've described as average; 10 in FM terms) to even be able to compete.

Your saying 10 for a regen though, thats mostly gonna improve so will be 13-14 by the time you've finished if you can train him well. I play players with 8-10 acceleration, do fine for me, depends what your doing with them.

Well David Odonkor is about the fastest thing on two legs - acceleration and pace - but he's still crap.......speed means nothing if you don't have the same amount of speed in the head. If you can combine physical and mental speed (a la maradona, ronaldo, etc) then you are a true great. In terms of survivability in any league you are far better off being speedy in the head then in the legs - JT is a case in point as his positioning and reading of the game more than compensate for his lack of speed. Jan Molby was a great player because he was a lightning fast reader of the game coupled with an awesome passing ability.......

This is what makes older players valuable assets regardless of how much their acceleration and pace have declined !

So he slowed down after a metre? Rubbish.
no, i mean he'd have reached his top speed relatively quickly

also you are looking at this from a bizarre perspective, yes of course they are quicker than an average human male but aren't you missing the point completely? we are talking about in relation to other players who play in the same league. and in that perspective, YES scholes, sheringham, zidane, figo etc were all slower than an average EPL / SLL player - if average pace/acc for a top division english player is say, 13-14 then all of the names i mentioned would be 12 at best, if not 11.

There's too much relation to real life and not enough relation to in-game here.

Acceleration less than 10 in the premiership will need to be compensated HEAVILY by high stats in a lot of other areas, the players mentioned in previous posts in real life or in game are all exceptions to the rule. The vast majority of players in the Premiership are deemed to have more than 10 acceleration in-game.

Amongst all this, noone has picked up on the ridiculous statement that you can't teach speed?

Sure, it's tougher the older you get, and some people have a higher natural ceiling than others, but the same holds for many other physical attributes.

Speed can be taught, at basic up to Olympic standard. For example at the basic level, compare the athletic technique of someone who trains as a sprinter to someone who doesn't. For example, a county standard secondary school footballer to a county standard sprinter. Not speed, just technique. Or for a top-end example, compare video of Usain Bolt in Beijing with him 2 years ago to study differences in technique.

Having watched my League Two team warm up, the reason their speed doesn't improve markedly is due either to the inability of players to follow simple instructions and drills, the inability of the coaches to understand the purpose of the drills they're doing, or a combination of the two.

As a speed coach, I assist many people in improving their speed every year. I can improve reaction time, acceleration, maximum speed, and control and technique, which would cover every aspect of a footballer moving.

It's sad that such outdated notions as "you can't teach speed" are still held. It's even sadder that people aren't aware enough to contradict these notions when they are encountered.

Do you understand Jimbokav?

Yes. I think I do, however I completely disagree with you at the most base level.

John Terry is slow.

By slow I mean that he is slower than your average professional fotball player.

Because he has a speed and acceleration rating, (within a game), both over 12 you seem to be basing that as proof that he is quicker than average.

Well if that is the case, where are all the players who are not very quick?

Everyone who is young, fit and not recovering from injury seems to have a decnt level of both speed and acceleration.

So where are the guys who purely because of their physical make-up have predominantly slow-twitch muscle fibres?

Just so you know by the way, football is a game in whuch the top preformers will benefit from slow-twitch muscle fibres, where as someone like Usain Bolt, Linford Christie or Asafa Powell will have predominately fast-twitch muscle fibres.

This is not due to training or conditioning or anything else, it is pure genetic design.

Fast twitch muscles beneft the user from explosive short term busts of energy. They are much better at reating short bursts of speed or power however become fatigued far more rapidly. This might suit a Super Sub like Ole G-S but it's not much good for your average fotballer who has to play a full 90 minutes.

A player such as John Terry will have slow twitch muscle fibres.

In any case, I doubt that you will allow by scientific explanation to count, simply because SI have rated him as above 10 for speed and acceleration so he must be quicker than average.

John Terry is slower than the average speed in the England team.

John Terry is slower than the average team in the Chelsea team.

John Terry is slower thaan the average player in the Premiership.

John Terry is slower than the average professional footballer in the UK.

John Terry is slowe that the average professional footballer Worldwide.

It doesn't make him a bad player.

It just makes him slow.

Try as hard as he does JT will NEVER be quick no matter how hard he trains.

He simply does not have the physical make-up required.

I think where we differ is that I am looking at at John Terry the professional footballer.

You are looking at John Terry (108625), file in a computer game who has his attributes set at above average.

Ironically "wolny" means "slow" in Polish.

LOL! That's hilarious!

Which editor you using?

In over 700 regens scouted I've not seen anyone quite as impeccably versatile as that.

He's not been edited plus, i don't use editors. He appeared as a 21 year old (if i recall correctly) in the polish league.

Archived