Learned Helplessless- My FM story (long)

So, I'm really enjoying my Ipswich game. They are a really fun team to be because you get lots of money to spend in the beginning and you can get promoted really easily. So I win the championship the first season and I get a huge transfer budget to spend and I get lucky with which teams were relegated so I could poach good players. I finish 7th first season which I think was a bit of an overachievement, but the results were fair. I was lucky to finish 7th because my point total normally would only be good for 10th or so, but I was lucky with other team's performances.

I got over $100 million to spend second season in prem because of player sales. I buy a world class team (they really are good enough for 6th at least) if you want confirmation, I can get a SS, but you'll have to trust me for now. The second season is going great, I absolutely dominate at home, am OK on the road just like last season. Unlike last season, however, I am not conceding buckets of goals, thanks to my new defense or so I thought.

Then came the run of death. It started innocuously enough with a UEFA Cup qualifying round against Valur, an Icelandic team. I win comfortably 4-0 in the home leg, in which I played my reserves.

I drew 1-1 away in the second leg. I was puzzled because they only had one non-gray player and he had god-awful stats, and the gray players were crap too. I played my reserves again with an average CA of about 140-150. I estimate the gray players had an average CA of 70, tops. It was much to my chagrin when Valur suddenly started playing like Italy during all of the highlights. I say Italy because their defense was unbeatable. They were making all perfect tackles, beating my players (Huth and Vidal both have 20 heading. Actually I don't know if they started, but I brought them on later for set pieces) in the air, and their goalkeeper saved all my feeble efforts. I finally scored off of a corner (thanks corner exploit, it's the only way to win on the road) so I figured I was OK since they had only sporadic goal opportunities. Changing to a defensive tactic only makes you concede more (I noticed this a lot during my first prem season) so I went more possession oriented. Out of the blue, a gray Valur player steals the ball, dribbles around a player, and outruns my defense and scores probably the best goal ever from 30 yards out (why he didn't keep going is a mystery, it was a 1v1), much to my chagrin. I didn't really care because I advanced, but it was puzzling.

My next few games are at home, which went well. I beat Arsenal at home (I own Arsenal for some reason), and drew Man U at home, and lost to Chelsea away (yes these 3 games were in succession).

Then came Portsmouth, and Andre-Pierre Gignac, away.

Try 1: They win 5-3 and Gignac scores 4 goals, including some from approximately 10 degree angles outside of the box.

Try 2: I quit after they score 6 in the first half. I scored 2. Gignac with a hattrick after 6 minutes.

Try 3: I holiday the game to see if it makes a difference. They still win 4-0, Gignac scores once, but my goalie apparently was amazing and got a 9.

Try 4: I lose 5-4. I scored 3 of my goals in the first half and watch in horror as Gignac immediately scores 2, Defoe scores a ridiculous goal which went through my goalkeeper from 30 yards out (it actually went through his little blob, without diverting course at all so he didn't just muff it). I am absolutely frantic at this point because, after they scored their first, I knew I was going to lose. Then Gignac scores his 3rd for his hattrick. I tie the game with the corner exploit. At the very end of the game, some little dip who had done nothing the entire game and was playing a 5 scored a 35-yard deflected shot. Why he wasn't subbed off is a mystery, oh wait it wasn't. The AI knew he would score so they kept him on. I have a 6th sense now; I can tell whenever the AI is going to score. I am right 70-75% of the time, and I watch key highlights. After this game, I just concede that I will never win it and move on.

Next is Derby, away. They are in the relegation zone with basically the same team they start with and some nobodies with bad stats except for one really good looking Mexican player, Perez, who I had tried to sign earlier but failed to. In my previous meetings against Derby which I had won easily, Perez was a huge problem.

That wasn't to be the case this time. He wasn't very good but the nobodies on their team must have been hyponotized or something, they were ridiculous. I should correct that. THeir defense still sucked. I scored 2 immediately. I notice that I conceded whenever I switched tactics in the Portsmouth game so I stuck with my normal tactic (a balanced attack with a deep line). Emmanuel Villa scores one of the annoying angled shots even though he, earlier, had the comment that he wasn't looking confident. I guess that doesn't apply to angled shots. Anyway, I freak the hell out. Then someone else scores. I forgot how he scored but I think it was a defensive error on my part. I score again, I forget how. They score again. 3-3 at halftime. I basically know I'm going to lose but I manage to look the better time and I get the comment that my team talk has worked. Whenever the AI gets that message, they always win, so I was happy. Unfortunately, their keeper seemed to be motivated too. That was OK, I have a superkeeper, why can't they too? I just want things to be balanced. Towards the end of the game Giles Barnes ran through my defense, showed Pele-like dribbling skills to run along the touchline while avoiding 3 of my players who were instructed to foul him (tight mark, close down, hard tackle, show onto weak foot), but it didn't faze him. He kept going. He went towards the corner and made a 90 degree turn going at full speed (he's be a great study with this superhuman turning ability) and continues towards the goal. He's still straddling the touchline which the goal is on and makes it to the egge of the area until he shoots one the angled shots. It rolled into the net. Ochoa (my keeper) stood there and seemed to watch it roll by him. First of all, it was remarkably that he actually managed to get a shot on target. Second of all, my sister's pet tortoise could have stopped the shot by just standing there. Third of all, they won the match off that BS. No way. I'm putting my foot down. From my experiences, I have learned that:

1. Shots from tight angles are too easy to convert.

2. Superhuman feats are commonplace. Players routinely make 90 degree angle turns while still dribbling at top speed. Players routinely hit volleys on balls which would be over their head. And players are waaaaaaaaaaaay too good at dribbling. Even gray Icelandic forwards with a dribbling skill of 6.

3. There are never any boring games.

4. The AI scores when it wants to. I don't want to get all Skynet on you'all, but I think the AI has enough intelligence that it can find the loopholes in the match engine, thereby exploiting it and cheating the player. This doesn't always happen or else you could never win a match. But it can happen on select occasions when the AI decides that it wants to win. They will abandon their normal corner routine and employ the corner exploit to score, their players will have their CA doubled, their goalkeeper will become unstoppable, and they will convert every opportunity possible.

5. Seriously, away games are unrealistically difficult. I know you can provide my with examples like Sunderland this year, but we're not talking about a team fighting relegation where the home crowd makes a huge difference. My team is good enough to beat Derby away every time. Do you really think Arsenal cares whether they play Derby home or away? They expect a win. In FM, you can't do that. Unless your team is so ridiculously better than the other team, you can never expect a win an an away game. For whatever reason, the home team always wins. Check the simulated match results in the Champions league. The home team always wins. And usually wins by a lot. Check world cup qualifying. In the 2010 playoffs in my game, the home team won/drew every game. 2 of the 4 playoffs were decided by away goals. Check the FA cup. The Conference sides regularly beat League 1/2 teams if they are at home. In mine, a League 1 team knocked out a basically full strength Man U because it was a home game. I can't get away with playing my reserves in any away game any more. In my old Arsenal game (Patch 8.02 also, up to 2011), I haven't lost a home game ever. I don't remember my last home draw. I run away with the league even though I consistently draw away. That team is basically the best team possible but my Ipswich side is really good too. Certainly good enough to get some away results.

6. I know you want exciting games, SI, but stop with the ridiculous comebacks, seriously. This applies for both the AI and the player. I only feel confident with a 4 goal lead now, I've blown way too many 3 goal leads and I think I've blown more 2 goal leads than I have not. I still win because my team tends to come back too. For a while, one of my strategies was to go all out attack and just outscore the AI even if I went 2-3 goals behind. That was my first premier league season, pretty much all my results were 4-3, 6-4, etc.

Notes: Don't talk to me about teamtalks. I read the article on how to conduct them and I always check after the match. Never in any of the examples I have mentioned have one of my players been affected negatively. In fact, in the games where I get dominated in the second half, my second half team talk comes back as having positive results. Go figure.

"It's your tactics". You're probably right, but what can I do? I use everything which worked to some degree in the past in these games I have talked about, but NOTHING works. Whenever I change tactics, the AI scores instantaneously and comes back. Whenever I stick with my tactic, the AI comes back and wins- though does not score instantaneously.

I spent an hour or so writing this so please be respectful and take some consideration before coming back with a lame response.

For those who don't want to read all of it:

This game is unfair.

So, I'm really enjoying my Ipswich game. They are a really fun team to be because you get lots of money to spend in the beginning and you can get promoted really easily. So I win the championship the first season and I get a huge transfer budget to spend and I get lucky with which teams were relegated so I could poach good players. I finish 7th first season which I think was a bit of an overachievement, but the results were fair. I was lucky to finish 7th because my point total normally would only be good for 10th or so, but I was lucky with other team's performances.

I got over $100 million to spend second season in prem because of player sales. I buy a world class team (they really are good enough for 6th at least) if you want confirmation, I can get a SS, but you'll have to trust me for now. The second season is going great, I absolutely dominate at home, am OK on the road just like last season. Unlike last season, however, I am not conceding buckets of goals, thanks to my new defense or so I thought.

Then came the run of death. It started innocuously enough with a UEFA Cup qualifying round against Valur, an Icelandic team. I win comfortably 4-0 in the home leg, in which I played my reserves.

I drew 1-1 away in the second leg. I was puzzled because they only had one non-gray player and he had god-awful stats, and the gray players were crap too. I played my reserves again with an average CA of about 140-150. I estimate the gray players had an average CA of 70, tops. It was much to my chagrin when Valur suddenly started playing like Italy during all of the highlights. I say Italy because their defense was unbeatable. They were making all perfect tackles, beating my players (Huth and Vidal both have 20 heading. Actually I don't know if they started, but I brought them on later for set pieces) in the air, and their goalkeeper saved all my feeble efforts. I finally scored off of a corner (thanks corner exploit, it's the only way to win on the road) so I figured I was OK since they had only sporadic goal opportunities. Changing to a defensive tactic only makes you concede more (I noticed this a lot during my first prem season) so I went more possession oriented. Out of the blue, a gray Valur player steals the ball, dribbles around a player, and outruns my defense and scores probably the best goal ever from 30 yards out (why he didn't keep going is a mystery, it was a 1v1), much to my chagrin. I didn't really care because I advanced, but it was puzzling.

My next few games are at home, which went well. I beat Arsenal at home (I own Arsenal for some reason), and drew Man U at home, and lost to Chelsea away (yes these 3 games were in succession).

Then came Portsmouth, and Andre-Pierre Gignac, away.

Try 1: They win 5-3 and Gignac scores 4 goals, including some from approximately 10 degree angles outside of the box.

Try 2: I quit after they score 6 in the first half. I scored 2. Gignac with a hattrick after 6 minutes.

Try 3: I holiday the game to see if it makes a difference. They still win 4-0, Gignac scores once, but my goalie apparently was amazing and got a 9.

Try 4: I lose 5-4. I scored 3 of my goals in the first half and watch in horror as Gignac immediately scores 2, Defoe scores a ridiculous goal which went through my goalkeeper from 30 yards out (it actually went through his little blob, without diverting course at all so he didn't just muff it). I am absolutely frantic at this point because, after they scored their first, I knew I was going to lose. Then Gignac scores his 3rd for his hattrick. I tie the game with the corner exploit. At the very end of the game, some little dip who had done nothing the entire game and was playing a 5 scored a 35-yard deflected shot. Why he wasn't subbed off is a mystery, oh wait it wasn't. The AI knew he would score so they kept him on. I have a 6th sense now; I can tell whenever the AI is going to score. I am right 70-75% of the time, and I watch key highlights. After this game, I just concede that I will never win it and move on.

Next is Derby, away. They are in the relegation zone with basically the same team they start with and some nobodies with bad stats except for one really good looking Mexican player, Perez, who I had tried to sign earlier but failed to. In my previous meetings against Derby which I had won easily, Perez was a huge problem.

That wasn't to be the case this time. He wasn't very good but the nobodies on their team must have been hyponotized or something, they were ridiculous. I should correct that. THeir defense still sucked. I scored 2 immediately. I notice that I conceded whenever I switched tactics in the Portsmouth game so I stuck with my normal tactic (a balanced attack with a deep line). Emmanuel Villa scores one of the annoying angled shots even though he, earlier, had the comment that he wasn't looking confident. I guess that doesn't apply to angled shots. Anyway, I freak the hell out. Then someone else scores. I forgot how he scored but I think it was a defensive error on my part. I score again, I forget how. They score again. 3-3 at halftime. I basically know I'm going to lose but I manage to look the better time and I get the comment that my team talk has worked. Whenever the AI gets that message, they always win, so I was happy. Unfortunately, their keeper seemed to be motivated too. That was OK, I have a superkeeper, why can't they too? I just want things to be balanced. Towards the end of the game Giles Barnes ran through my defense, showed Pele-like dribbling skills to run along the touchline while avoiding 3 of my players who were instructed to foul him (tight mark, close down, hard tackle, show onto weak foot), but it didn't faze him. He kept going. He went towards the corner and made a 90 degree turn going at full speed (he's be a great study with this superhuman turning ability) and continues towards the goal. He's still straddling the touchline which the goal is on and makes it to the egge of the area until he shoots one the angled shots. It rolled into the net. Ochoa (my keeper) stood there and seemed to watch it roll by him. First of all, it was remarkably that he actually managed to get a shot on target. Second of all, my sister's pet tortoise could have stopped the shot by just standing there. Third of all, they won the match off that BS. No way. I'm putting my foot down. From my experiences, I have learned that:

1. Shots from tight angles are too easy to convert.

2. Superhuman feats are commonplace. Players routinely make 90 degree angle turns while still dribbling at top speed. Players routinely hit volleys on balls which would be over their head. And players are waaaaaaaaaaaay too good at dribbling. Even gray Icelandic forwards with a dribbling skill of 6.

3. There are never any boring games.

4. The AI scores when it wants to. I don't want to get all Skynet on you'all, but I think the AI has enough intelligence that it can find the loopholes in the match engine, thereby exploiting it and cheating the player. This doesn't always happen or else you could never win a match. But it can happen on select occasions when the AI decides that it wants to win. They will abandon their normal corner routine and employ the corner exploit to score, their players will have their CA doubled, their goalkeeper will become unstoppable, and they will convert every opportunity possible.

5. Seriously, away games are unrealistically difficult. I know you can provide my with examples like Sunderland this year, but we're not talking about a team fighting relegation where the home crowd makes a huge difference. My team is good enough to beat Derby away every time. Do you really think Arsenal cares whether they play Derby home or away? They expect a win. In FM, you can't do that. Unless your team is so ridiculously better than the other team, you can never expect a win an an away game. For whatever reason, the home team always wins. Check the simulated match results in the Champions league. The home team always wins. And usually wins by a lot. Check world cup qualifying. In the 2010 playoffs in my game, the home team won/drew every game. 2 of the 4 playoffs were decided by away goals. Check the FA cup. The Conference sides regularly beat League 1/2 teams if they are at home. In mine, a League 1 team knocked out a basically full strength Man U because it was a home game. I can't get away with playing my reserves in any away game any more. In my old Arsenal game (Patch 8.02 also, up to 2011), I haven't lost a home game ever. I don't remember my last home draw. I run away with the league even though I consistently draw away. That team is basically the best team possible but my Ipswich side is really good too. Certainly good enough to get some away results.

6. I know you want exciting games, SI, but stop with the ridiculous comebacks, seriously. This applies for both the AI and the player. I only feel confident with a 4 goal lead now, I've blown way too many 3 goal leads and I think I've blown more 2 goal leads than I have not. I still win because my team tends to come back too. For a while, one of my strategies was to go all out attack and just outscore the AI even if I went 2-3 goals behind. That was my first premier league season, pretty much all my results were 4-3, 6-4, etc.

Notes: Don't talk to me about teamtalks. I read the article on how to conduct them and I always check after the match. Never in any of the examples I have mentioned have one of my players been affected negatively. In fact, in the games where I get dominated in the second half, my second half team talk comes back as having positive results. Go figure.

"It's your tactics". You're probably right, but what can I do? I use everything which worked to some degree in the past in these games I have talked about, but NOTHING works. Whenever I change tactics, the AI scores instantaneously and comes back. Whenever I stick with my tactic, the AI comes back and wins- though does not score instantaneously.

I spent an hour or so writing this so please be respectful and take some consideration before coming back with a lame response.

For those who don't want to read all of it:

This game is unfair.

i do feel for you mate, for quite a while i thought the game was constantly trying to cheat against me.

the only thing i can recomend to you is don't give up.

you're right when people will say "it's your tactics" and to a slight point they may be correct. it took me a fair few hit and misses to perfect a tactic, i suffered numerous horrendous seasons with 08 before i realised it's not about having the best team, it's all about possesion.

the icelandic grey player who went straight through you was a sad moment, but can be avoided if you are the team that has the ball 65+% of the time.

Trial and error is the only way to success with FM, there is no quick fix (i'm not suggesting that's what you're after though).

Try and tie the ball down in the midfield, i do this with having 5 midfielders who hold it, wait for the best moment and then send it in for the striker to score. it works a charm (into my 6th undefeated season presently), but as i said prior to discovering this i had way too many losses and dissapointments.

with the comebacks, i agree, this does happen a bit too much, but, again, i find holding up the ball stops it happening.

all i can say mate is best of luck with your game and don't get too discouraged.

First thing, the computer likes to stop your runs with runs of bad luck. If you go a long time doing really well, you will then go a while doing really badly. Well, most of the time.

Secondly, and people wont like me for saying this, but there IS such a thing as 3rd season syndrome! I noticed it back in FM06 with a Wigan save. Did really well, 6th first season, 5th second, 14 third. The computer will stop you. But this is kind of realistic. Have a look at Everton for example. In recent times, they have been 4th, 5th, 5th, but a few years ago they yoyoed like mad. Top 7 for a couple of seasons, then 15th or so the next. until Moyes got his team perfect and they became consistent.

(Note you cant do this in the game due to the confidence bug)

Thirdly, the 2d view is a poor representation of the match engine. Most of the dodgy looking goals you have to take as being not quite so dodgy. Unfortunately thats FM.

All in all, I think its just bad luck. Ride through it, and youll come out the other end better icon14.gif

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I played the Derby match 4 more times. Here's what happened:

1. I used my possession tactic which didn't really work and I got owned 0-2 (my goalie was a 9). I just didn't keep possession and they laid seige to my goal.

2. I switch to a 443 tactic which worked well in my Arsenal save game. Overall, the game is even, but Giles Barnes scores twice in the first half. I learn here that I must tight mark, close down, tackle hard, show onto weaker foot for him because when I did this, he did nothing in the second half. I lose 1-2.

3. I think I have something with the 443 so I try it again. I was the better team, but my Giles Barnes treatment didn't work as he singlehandedly owned my team again, combining with Villa on a number of times. Villa consistently beats my centerbacks (Huth and Vidal) in the air despite Huth and Vidal having 20 for heading. I don't know what Huth's jumping is, but Vidal's is 20.

4. I switch to the Kimz 2.0 tactic. Alas, SIgames community does no better as Emmanuel Villa scores a hattrick in the first 10 minutes. I quit in frustraton again.

So that's 7 games in which I have failed to beat Derby County, who are in last.

SI, you WON'T get the better of me. I don't care if I have to play this 30 times. I don't care if I stay up all night. I don't care if I lose my friends and social life while trying to beat 20th place Derby County, I WILL win this game and you'll have to hack my computer and delete the save game to stop me.

Back to the death zone.

And I have done it! Derby County has fallen! After 8 tries! Take that FM!

A Brief summary:

I try the tactic I won the Championship with. It had proven unsuccessful in my first prem season, but why not try it? I notice that I have not yet started Kalouda in any of the Derby games so I give him a shot. No oppo instructions on Derby, I don't have any evidence that they work.

-GOAL Ipswich: Kalouda repays my faith by scoring!

-GOAL Ipswich: I score from a corner

I go to half time. I stay with my tactic.

-GOAL cheating bastards: Kenny Miller who replaced Villa scores with a ridiculous chip from way the hell away. Of course. It has to be. I switch to a more balanced tactic.

-I notice that, when I changed tactics, it placed my sub striker at RB and my RB at striker and I had not noticed. Oops.

- I get a message saying Derby is playing like a different team this half. Damn.

-A foul on my player is called in the area! Oh no! Luckily, it was apparently outside the area (it definitely was inside the area, but I'll take what luck I get) but they have an easily make-able free kick. It goes wide.

-They go to 424. I go to shut up shop. I have never conceded when using shut up shop in the last few minutes.

-They barrage my goal. Ochoa is an absolute hero. I'm sorry I spoke badly about you friend. "Hugs"

-They get another really close free kick. Ochoa saves.

-Barnes (not him!) slips by my fullback and crosses. Oh no. The shot... and SAVE by Ochoa! The ball is cleared out. My sub striker, the disgruntled Teemu Tainio-hating Yakovenko (the one who was RB) runs onto it, dribbles around the defender, shoots.... and

-GOAL for Ipswich! He majestically scores! Oh my goodness, Derby are done for!

And the final whistle blows! Jesus weeps tears of happiness, Israelis and Palestinians trade teddy bears instead of fire, Derby County has been defeated!

Screenshots: (Yes I was really lucky)

dc9fus.jpg

a4wwmb.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott1990:

SI, you WON'T get the better of me. I don't care if I have to play this 30 times. I don't care if I stay up all night. I don't care if I lose my friends and social life while trying to beat 20th place Derby County, I WILL win this game and you'll have to hack my computer and delete the save game to stop me.

Back to the death zone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have this exact problem too! i rarely if ever lose to powerful teams but its the **** ones i lose to every time, regardless of how good my team is.... in my liverpool game, the only loses i sustained in three seasons were to relegated teams.... and i never beat any of them! its crazy.... the game does have some sort of flaw in this sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

Doesn't your save feel tarnished now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I feel like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It wasn't about the result, it was about the satisfaction that I had out-exploited the game. I'm merely leveling the playing field.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott1990:

No, I feel like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It wasn't about the result, it was about the satisfaction that I had out-exploited the game. I'm merely leveling the playing field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. What if you win the title by a point now though?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

Doesn't your save feel tarnished now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh god i know that feeling from my preivous save but now im over it and still take thoes ******** results, but hey thats football

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

First thing, the computer likes to stop your runs with runs of bad luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a rediculous statement this is. I love how people think that SI would in some way benifit from programming the game to cheat you.

I can understand why some people suspect foul play on the part of the AI. The thing is that the game seems to favour series of all kind: If you lose a match, you stand a higher risk of losing the next one, too. If your team fail to score, they're likely to fail to score again. If your striker can't score, it's very likely he won't score any time soon.

All these issues are related to morale - on some level or another. The game tries to simulate the natural ups and downs faced by any organization or individual. Annoying as it may be, for the most part, I think the game does very well, indeed.

No, I feel like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It wasn't about the result, it was about the satisfaction that I had out-exploited the game. I'm merely leveling the playing field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. What if you win the title by a point now though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. My team isn't good enough to win the title. That won't happen.

2. It's my game, I can do what I want

3. As I said, I'm leveling the playing field. I don't reload all games that I lose. I reload only the games in which foul play is present (IE, I shouldn't lose to Derby 7 times).

Archived