Moving my game from one pc to another

Also make sure you have the same version of FM on both machines.

Good idea to have them all on the latest version but I don't think it's absolutely neccesary - for the same reason patches are save game compatible for games started without the patch they should also be backwards compatible.

Also the path just needs to be correct for the installed game which might not be exactly the same - for example while on windows the save game will almost always go to my documents/si/... the database might go into program files/steam/steamapps/... or program files/Sports Interactive/...

Good idea to have them all on the latest version but I don't think it's absolutely neccesary - for the same reason patches are save game compatible for games started without the patch they should also be backwards compatible.

Also the path just needs to be correct for the installed game which might not be exactly the same - for example while on windows the save game will almost always go to my documents/si/... the database might go into program files/steam/steamapps/... or program files/Sports Interactive/...

They are not backwards compatible though. At least not on FM08 or any previous releases they were not. If you had a saved game that was played on the 8.0.2 patched game then it would not work on the unpatched game or without that patch.

Something else that might be easier is uploading the save game to somewhere like filefront.

Install the game and patch it on the new pc and then download the save file from filefront or wherever.

This won't work if you have edited the database but is probably the easiest option if it is a straightforward transfer.

Am i being woefully naiive in thinking it's just a case of moving the database and save game from their respective folders on one machine to their respective folders on another?

is it possible at all?

cheers

Normally only the save game is enough if you use the default database (regardless of versions).

Make sure that FM09 (or any other) has the same version on each PC (id on the 1st PC the game is not patched, don't do it on the second).

Then jsut copy the whole Sports Interactive folder from your My Documents folder. This contains the save game(s), Tactics, Training Schedules, Shorltists and (if have any) custom graphics like logo's etc.

That is all folks.

Yeah, just use same database in both computers.

Other than that you just copy your savegame. I have played one game of FM09 and FM08 in two computers very long without problems.

Once i had different database and the game said that it couldnt find the right databese, but it worked anyway.

Yeah, just use same database in both computers.

Other than that you just copy your savegame. I have played one game of FM09 and FM08 in two computers very long without problems.

Once i had different database and the game said that it couldnt find the right databese, but it worked anyway.

Excellent. I'm gonna try this out. The beauty of Steam is that you can re-download FM09 to any computer without having to buy it again.

This means I can play FM @ work when it's a bit quiet, and then carry on my game at home. I think I'll just copy the whole SI folder in My Docs to my portable usb drive and keep it updated constantly between work & home. I'm never gonna get anything done now... :D

Ok, maybe a bit off-topic... but I want to ask something related to this...

I am playing FM08 by the way, and the thing is that i transfer the save-game from one PC to another wothout problem, but my problem is that the Hall of fame has erased me... I won 6 domestic titles, 1 champ league etc, etc... and I was ranked 7, but when i tranfered the game, i was not anymore on the list. Like i didnt exist... the more important question is, will this affect the game... is the game connected to the hall of fame... because i may be not on the list but im still "World class manage" on my profile and all my success i written in my profile history???

Any thoughts???

I am playing FM08 by the way, and the thing is that i transfer the save-game from one PC to another wothout problem, but my problem is that the Hall of fame has erased me... I won 6 domestic titles, 1 champ league etc, etc... and I was ranked 7, but when i tranfered the game, i was not anymore on the list. Like i didnt exist... the more important question is, will this affect the game... is the game connected to the hall of fame... because i may be not on the list but im still "World class manage" on my profile and all my success i written in my profile history???

Any thoughts???

Hall of fame is purely cosmetic. It won't have any affect on your manager. The only thing is you will not see yourself top of the list or wherever you were on it. :) You can get back there again though. :D

Hi everyone,

I am having real difficult moving saved games from my desktop computer at my parents place to the desktop at my home computer. This is what I did:

1. Starting at my parent's place, I installed the game to their computer, edited the database, saved it as a database called "man utd" and then started the game

2. I then saved the game onto the harddisk. I copied the game from my parents hard disk onto my USB and then transferred it to my home harddisk in the same my documents / sports interactive spot

3. when I try to run the game at home and load the saved game that I moved from my parents computer it just stops and says "game will be run from the default database". the game just closes down (plays in the system tray but is not actually open).

Is there any way to solve this? I move a lot between homes so it would be SOO useful if someone could help me on this!

Any thoughts???

There is a Sports Interactive folder under the Public Documents.

You have to move that along too.

^^ yup the guys are right - you need to move your database folder ("man utd") accross as well as your saved game (you only need to dpoo this once)

if the versions of Windows on your two pcs are different they may install the fm in to directories with slightly different names/pathways. This will confuse FM when it loads a saved game from your other machine as the saved game will tell it to look in the wrong place for the saved game. If you have different windows versions you need to make sure the saved game directory pathway is exactly the same

finally as well as my saved game folder, i also always copy over the temp folder. I don't know if this is the answer but i certainly haven't had any problems with losing my ranking in hall of fame etc

enjoy :)

• 9 months later...

It doesn't even need the same database and same locations (since you can manually select from which folder the game should load). I've started the game on my desktop PC with an edited database, a couple of months I bought a laptop, installed the game and patched (did nothing to the database there) it and since then I've moved my save game with USB stick from one computer to another without any problems - for some time the computers even had different Windows (XP and Vista 64)...I'm in season 2075/76 and never had any problems...

It doesn't even need the same database and same locations (since you can manually select from which folder the game should load). I've started the game on my desktop PC with an edited database, a couple of months I bought a laptop, installed the game and patched (did nothing to the database there) it and since then I've moved my save game with USB stick from one computer to another without any problems - for some time the computers even had different Windows (XP and Vista 64)...I'm in season 2075/76 and never had any problems...

As long as you use the default database, all you need to copy is the save file.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, what about extra files? Do these need to be moved over as well? I am on a Mac, trying to move my game from iMac to Macbook, and the game crashes. Could that be from

a) Different versions of FM 09

b) Different Database?

c) Didn't move the .ddt files?

Archived