Noticed this - Speed Increase

I always used the 1024 x 768 display settings until yesterday when i changed to the "default" 1280 x 1024 setting.After doing this i instantly noticed screen changing faster and also general gameplay,as i was experiencing my game being slow for a while im delighted to say its alot faster now,anyone else experience this or is it just me?

Ok back on topic,

Tbh I havent messed around to much with it,I run it on auto atm,once the patch has kicked in I will set it out of windowed mode to 1280x1024,as games in genral look better that way,or at least they do to me,I really dont enjoy this windowed mode I have to play in atm.

Are you (the people experiencing increased performance on increased resolution) using a TFT with native resolution by any chance? That would cause playing with lower resolutions to have a negative impact on performance.

That is my suspicion also :)

And I always play games in windowed mode when I can, for some reason I always have to be doing more than one thing on the computer at once :p

Are you (the people experiencing increased performance on increased resolution) using a TFT with native resolution by any chance? That would cause playing with lower resolutions to have a negative impact on performance.

Well I dont see that tbh,remember this isnt a game like MoD or crysis,there isnt alot of graphics to be had here so there isnt a stress level placed on your(or what could be)lower end system.

I know for a fact my system will play alot better out of windowed mode but for the moment that isnt possible.

Well I dont see that tbh,remember this isnt a game like MoD or crysis,there isnt alot of graphics to be had here so there isnt a stress level placed on your(or what could be)lower end system.

If you set the resolution to something other than the native resolution, resources will be spent rescaling the graphics. This can have a significant impact on performance even when playing a game that's not as graphically demanding.

I play alot of games and regular change from pre-set to highest and try out the likes of say "crysis" from normal to high res then change every setting res to the highest and I notice almost nothing.

edit-ofc it depends on the sytem but it is always trial and error.

Firstly I'd like to make sure we're on the same page as far as the monitor is concerned: I'm talking only about TFT monitors with a native resolution.

Secondly: Perhaps it's me, but I have not seen anyone mention any PC specs yet, but midrange PC's may very well suffer from such issues, let alone lower end machines.

I think there is still some room for discussion so I won't close it. I'm interested to see if this works. I'm playing on 1024 x 768 because my current monitor is horrible.

Not much to discuss.

1024 x 768 = 786432 pixels to render.

1280 x 1024 = 1310720 pixels to render.

So any increase in speed is purely psychosomatic. At no point in the history of ever has lowering your resolution provided a speed decrease.

Otherwise we'd all have crappy systems but play at 1920x1200 because it's quicker.

Exactly. Sounds as stupid as it is when it's put like that.

VB

Not much to discuss.

So any increase in speed is purely psychosomatic. At no point in the history of ever has lowering your resolution provided a speed decrease.

Otherwise we'd all have crappy systems but play at 1920x1200 because it's quicker.

VB

Good point :D

Not much to discuss.

VB

If your native resolution is 1280*1024, and you decide to play a game on a lower resolution, say 1024*768, the resolution will still be 1280*1024. The image that is rendered at 1024*768 will be rescaled to fit the native resolution, which is why lowering resolution while using an LCD monitor can infact decrease performance.

If your native resolution is 1280*1024, and you decide to play a game on a lower resolution, say 1024*768, the resolution will still be 1280*1024. The image that is rendered at 1024*768 will be rescaled to fit the native resolution, which is why lowering resolution while using an LCD monitor can infact decrease performance.

I am sorry but were I was sorry earlier what you are saying now is just crazy,yes you maybe lose alittle through the render but the power/cpu/graphic/ram usage you use in the lower scale would save you a hell of alot more than the render ever cost you.

I tell you what try playing a game say the likes of Vanguard in 1280x1024 and when you try to play you can see your set up wont handle in then move to say a 600x800 where you can move nps but the game looks terrible,but hey at least you can play game now.

Now, how would it be upping the resolution to 1920x1200 on an LCD monitor, windowed? Could that decrease the performance too?

I reset my preferences and started off again full screen 1920x1200 resolution. Then i changed it to windowed mode. I assume that the windowed mode goes automatically to a standard sized window, set by SI or the game. Playing it like that, with the in-game skin is kinda interesting. The game just flies through everything for me. Still some stuttering on matchdays, but other than that it's fine. Going to 3D on matchdays is like a walk in the park.

Now if i go back to 1920x1200 windowed, it's the same again. Slow UI, ages before the 3D loads.

What is the resolution when it changes from full screen to windowed? Is it 800x600? It's just a guess since it seems like it. But for me it seems like my choice of resolution is everything, on my computer at least.

Doesn't really seem to matter if i have a more-than-good-enough computer and/or graphics card.

Just no. Pick 1280x720. Is it rescaled? I thank you.

If upscaling cost more to render then why is Halo or PGR actually less than 720p and then upscaled? Or why do a lot of PS3 games use 720p when it can do 1080p? Or why do people with big PC monitors spend more on processing/graphics than people without? Why does every single benchmark on the face of the planet show that higher resolution = lower performance??

Because.

It's.

Quicker.

To.

Run.

In.

Lower.

Resolution.

You might need to get a fire extinguisher because I believe you've been shot down in flames.

VB

Obviously a higher resolution requires more processing power than a lower resolution, if you'll read my posts again, you will find that I never ever said that this was not the case. What I've been saying is that if you choose a resolution lower than your native one in some game, your monitor will still be showing the picture in the native resolution, as it is the only resolution it is capable of showing, that is what the word 'native' tells you.

But I'm sorry I brought it up, if it pleases you I will stick to topics you are familiar with from now on.

you're actually both right.

Running a full screen ap on a tft monitor not in native resolution will make extra work for your graphics card. HOWEVER it is often the case that lowering the resolution even on a tft provides more benefits than negatives. With a game that is not 3d intensive like FM, it might break from this norm.

you're actually both right.

Running a full screen ap on a tft monitor not in native resolution will make extra work for your graphics card. HOWEVER it is often the case that lowering the resolution even on a tft provides more benefits than negatives. With a game that is not 3d intensive like FM, it might break from this norm.

Thing is that I never claimed that this was the case here, I was just offering a possible example. Obviously there are situations where lowering the resolution might help, hopefully I'll be excused for not having a list of how every and all games respond to this situation..

Let's put it this way:

Lowering resolution (in general): Increases performance.

Setting resolution to lower than a native resolution: Might decrease performance.

Type of monitor that the people with this problem have: We don't know.

System specs that the people with this problem have: We don't know.

Ok, so where is the reason for attacking my suggestion and myself?

Archived