The Language Barrier...

I managed to nab a couple of terrific French players on a free for my Hayes & Yeading squad in the BSS.

During the pre-match build ups, my assman constantly tells me that one of the weaknesses of my team is the fact that my two new continental superstars are having trouble getting over the language barrier and are subsequently performing, well - a bit rubbish. Completely realistic and fair enough situation.

In real life, I'd stick 'em in the corner with a French-English dictionary, but is there anything in the game I can do to make 'em learn the lingo quicker?

Would hiring a French coach help or is it just a case of waiting for them to gel and blend in...

Cheers.

Yeah, whs.

1. Players that speak English and French, both, will help the player settle and/or learn the language better.

2. Coaches that speak French will help the player settle in better.

3. A manager that speaks French (e.g., English with French as a second nationality) will help the players settle in better.

4. Players with high Adaptability will settle much more quickly than players with a low Adaptability.

5. Allowing the players to go home on holiday may prevent them from getting too disconsolate about it.

5. Allowing the players to go home on holiday may prevent them from getting too disconsolate about it.

Really? Never even gave that possibility a thought, but it might just work dagnabit.

Terrific Armaroq, I'll bear these suggestions in mind. Trouble is, being Hayes & Yeading, I have a cap on the amount of coaches. Might have to sack one for a French speakin' fella and see if that speeds up the process...

I made myself as manager as French with British second nationality, got French and English as languages. My second year, I found a Frenchman who would make the Perfect Captian for my squad, so I brought him over. He didn't speak English, though, but I thought...no biggie. He'll learn, and once he does, I'll have a Perfect Captian.

He has Adaptability of 12, Versitility of 11. I'm his second-favorite person, next to his Ligue 1 brother, who won't come play for BSP me. And it's taken my Perfect Captian over 500 days to get English (Basic) on his profile. Over a year in country, and he communicates on a pre-school level. And I'm grrr-ing.

He has Adaptability of 12, Versitility of 11. I'm his second-favorite person, next to his Ligue 1 brother, who won't come play for BSP me. And it's taken my Perfect Captian over 500 days to get English (Basic) on his profile. Over a year in country, and he communicates on a pre-school level. And I'm grrr-ing.

Maybe it has got to do with the age of the player. I think that, the younger the player, the fastest he'll learn a new language. In my country we have a saying which, translated, goes something like this: "Old donkey doesn't learn languages".

And/or it also has to do with the "Adaptability" bit?

IRL, for example, I find that Spanish speaking staff/players, who play in my country (Portugal) very seldom learn any Portuguese (maybe just a few words, sometimes). Maybe it's because we usually have no problem understanding and somewhat communicating in their language. The reverse is not, usually, true.

Maybe it has got to do with the age of the player. I think that, the younger the player, the fastest he'll learn a new language. In my country we have a saying which, translated, goes something like this: "Old donkey doesn't learn languages".

I'd be bloody surprised if a new donkey could learn a language, seeing as they don't talk and all

I'd be bloody surprised if a new donkey could learn a language, seeing as they don't talk and all

Over here, a not so bright person, who's very slow to learn, is called a "donkey". So, I suppose you get the meaning, somewhat?

And, as you probably know, some of these things get lost on translation.

Over here, a not so bright person, who's very slow to learn, is called a "donkey". So, I suppose you get the meaning, somewhat?

And, as you probably know, some of these things get lost on translation.

While not being familiar with the phrase you reference, I'd be somewhat suprised if the actual word translated less to "donkey" than to "@ss."

It might have something to do with age, seeing as Perfect Captain is 26, not 18...but still. If you were living in a country for a year, don't you think you'd have learned the lingo a bit more than pre-school level, especially if it was necessary for your job?

It might have something to do with age, seeing as Perfect Captain is 26, not 18...but still. If you were living in a country for a year, don't you think you'd have learned the lingo a bit more than pre-school level, especially if it was necessary for your job?

I don't know. Kostas Katsouranis, greek international is with my real life team, Benfica, for 2 full years and he's on his third season with us. He doesn't seem to have learned much Portuguese, if at all. A couple weeks ago he was doing the flash interview, after game, and he could only speak some English. He's 29 years old.

I believe the same happens with most older players. They don't seem to care much about learning the local language.

Anyway, English is a much simpler and easier to learn language than Portuguese. It has to be, otherwise it would not be The international language. I don't know if the game takes that into consideration?

I remeber Brazilian striker Ailton - played around 5 years in Germany (maybe even longer) and the German he spoke still doesn't even deserve the term (Basic) lol.

The same applies for Diego, I think third season at Bremen, still doesn't speak much German.

I do however agree that most players would at least understand people and many of them would learn the language to a basic level in less than a year.

• 10 months later...
English is one of the hardest languages to learn according my my language teacher, she can speak about 5 languages

According to what? University studies class the Nordic languages, finnish and welsh as the hardest to learn.

Anyways, quite realistic that some players that's 27+ wouldn't bother to learn the language of a country, especially if they'd plan to move back home after finishing their career there, though I doubt that's coded into the game. ;p

because it has so many expections to rules, it doesn't make sense.

don't have a go at me from what i think to be a very clever teacher has told me. u cant say those languages are harder to learn just because welsh seems to have an illogical order of letters or scandinavian languages have more characters

Archived