Frustration Manager 09

lawd

First and foremost this is not a post meant to tear into SI or Fm I have been a loyal customer for over 10 yrs and love the FM series in general. Though in FM09 I have a problem.

Unlike a lot of ppl I had no difficulty in installing the game and entering codes etc, but it would have been even better to just put it in and play it.

My problem comes with some of the flaws I see in the game, and of these 2 stick out the most.

1- The revamp of the tactic system.

Now I'm not saying I want a return to the old diablo like tactics, but in this version of FM I have found the tactical aspect of the game incredibly frustrating, and unfreindly to the user. I have not got the time or patience to sit for hours on end nit picking at tactics every game, now I realise this is a management simulation game, and real life managers would nit pick on a game by game basis. But I spent 30 quid on a game which does not in turn pay me thousands a week to manage a team, it is a game. I have been through countless threads on developing tactcs, but if I was asked to explain the slider system I would have no clue, creative freedom still baffles me, as when I set no long shots and a low CF to my midfielder he takes 30 yrd shots anyway. I have a clear idea on how I want to see my team play, and it should not be so hard to translate that to the game, perhaps when in a press confrence I tell the media I want to attack with some style, or control the game, my ass man could give me helpers on where to think of having width, and mentality and clossing down etc on the sliders. tied in with this is pre season. Now Iin FM08 I was immensly proud f the tactic I created it played football I liked seeing and gave me an unbeaten run in the legue of 120+ games, so naturally I attempted to reproduce it for this years incarnation, pre season starts well with a games scoring, 6-0, 6-0, 4-0, 3-0, 3-0 and a general dominace and pleasing style, but when the seasn kicks in I can't by a goal and keep succumbing to the oppositions keeper playing long balls straight through my team, or monumentally ridculous mistakes by my players who due to the 3d engines animations compound my annoyance even more.

Which brings me to point number 2

2- 3d or not 3d that is the question.

At first I was as excited and wowed that FM would be going 3d, I couldn't wait to see dazzling runs and 30 yrd screamers. The problem is in my opinion that the ambition and idea seem not to be represented by the product. The 3d engine the a remarkable feat and step forward just doesn't capture football, the animations are repetitve and frustrating especially when a real life footballerwouldn't pass the ball of his own team mate then stand and watch the opponent take it straight through to score, or be unable to head away a long balll by an opposing keeper. I just feel the 3d engine has come to soon, and although I admire SI for taking the step forward the old saying if it aint broke don't fix it cmes to mind, and perhaps another season of 2d would have been better whilst the 3d was perfected.

The last point I will make is about the bug/patch scenario. I begrudge payin £30 for a game which isn't finished and to which I cant enjoy until said patches are realesed, I understand the pressure of deadlines, and unforseen happenings in production etc, but FM09 just feels unfinished, and a bit to real, it is a game and should first and foremost be fun, with aspects that a hardcore gamer can immerse themselves in, or hte casual gamer can pick up and enjoy.

I really don't want to complain, and I really wanted to rave out how great FM09 was, but in all honesty it just seems lacking.

Archived