Small nations

Ive been playin fm 08 for a year now, mostly in the icelandic leagues. well i start from there and then move abroad. but never have i seen olafur johannesson sacked or quit from his post as icelandic national manager. as a matter of fact, it is very rare that i see manangers of small nations get sacked...african managers come and go and the big european managers have a longer lifespan but not eternal but the small nations have endless patience. i admit that once i cheated by creating a new manager as the manager of iceland in the middle of a game and then immediately retiring and since i was by far the best icelandic manager i was given the job right away. i just wanted to see how it was like...so far it seems to be the only way...anyone else experienced this and if this is a problem, is it fixed in fm 09?

thanks

It's not really a problem that can be fixed. The nations in question have low expectancies, so the managers can't really underachieve and so can't get sacked for underachieving. You could only fix it if they were programmed to leave every so often, which wouldn't feel right IMO. I've noticed it too though, Nigel Worthington has been in charge of Northern Ireland for 16 years :eek:

Maybe it would be an idea to add the possibility to state interest in a job. For example, if you have a small nation as nationality, and you manage to get way better reputation than the current manager, you should be able to state interest in the national team job... It's quite likely that they'd sack a manager with National reputation to hire one with Continental or World Class... ;)

Either that or just patiently wait until they retire of old age.

Yeah unfortunately the icelandic manager in this save is only 4 years older than me...so not much chance for that.

How about implementing contracts like they have in real life? or is that too complicated, will they get mixed up with club contracts and such?

Maybe it would be an idea to add the possibility to state interest in a job. For example, if you have a small nation as nationality, and you manage to get way better reputation than the current manager, you should be able to state interest in the national team job... It's quite likely that they'd sack a manager with National reputation to hire one with Continental or World Class... ;)

To an extent. If a manager is doing very well at a club, say someone like Phil Brown, do you think Hull would sack him if Jose Mourinho expressed interest? The fans would revolt. Perhaps not as good a comparison on the international stage but still, I have similar concerns.

Archived