Fm 2007

Is anyone out there still playing FM2007. I bought FM2008 when it came out and didnt think too much of it. I tried the FM2009 demo and thought it was a joke. In my humble 2007 is still the best version of the game to date. I never tire of it tbh. Anyone else feel the same?

Is anyone out there still playing FM2007. I bought FM2008 when it came out and didnt think too much of it. I tried the FM2009 demo and thought it was a joke. In my humble 2007 is still the best version of the game to date. I never tire of it tbh. Anyone else feel the same?

Actually is not a joke. It's a real game.

Actually is not a joke. It's a real game.
I would imagine you are in the minority obviously. Personally I think the game gets better year on year so I would always play the latest version.

Nice one Jod. Maybe I need to give 09 a bit more time.

I too missed out on 2008 (didnt like a few things within the game - didnt think it was a worthwhile jump from 07). However, I am now enjoying 09 and could not go back.

The biggest thing is leaving behind a game you know and trust. It takes me at least a season to get into a new save, and its by no means easy to do that if you've skipped one edition. There are plenty of rough edges within 09 - things that I hope they tidy up soon.

For me the 3D match engine, now I have become accustomed to its ways, is enough to prevent me from going back. There are a lot of nice little touches missing from 07 that 09 has.

You will tire of 07 one day :)

FM2007 was very good i but i think 2009 is the best so far. i also played the demo for about an hour and also thought it was a joke and swore i wouldnt buy it. but then i read on here that the full game was alot better so i brought it, am so pleased i did as it really is a complete differant game to the demo. and have hardly stoped playing it since. dont let the demo put you off and go and buy 2009.

I too missed out on 2008 (didnt like a few things within the game - didnt think it was a worthwhile jump from 07). However, I am now enjoying 09 and could not go back.

The biggest thing is leaving behind a game you know and trust. It takes me at least a season to get into a new save, and its by no means easy to do that if you've skipped one edition. There are plenty of rough edges within 09 - things that I hope they tidy up soon.

For me the 3D match engine, now I have become accustomed to its ways, is enough to prevent me from going back. There are a lot of nice little touches missing from 07 that 09 has.

You will tire of 07 one day :)

Cheers mate. Some wise words there.

Nice one Jod. Maybe I need to give 09 a bit more time.

Hi there.

I got bored waiting for the next patch (the one that will make the game realistic to play), so I downloaded Champ Man 0102 and started playing that again.

The full game is free to download on www.championshipmanager.co.uk and you can run updates to start the season in 08/09 and update all the players.

It's ridiculously simple, but worth playing until FM09 is worth playing.

This might be a dumb question, but are the database files backwards compatible? In other words, could I save a 2009 data file and play it in 2008? I ask only because 09 is unplayable for me... I get crash dumped every September 5. But I would hate to have to start a game with the 2008 database, with Thaksin still running Man City and Anelka at Bolton and Berbatov at Spurs, etc.

This might be a dumb question, but are the database files backwards compatible? In other words, could I save a 2009 data file and play it in 2008? I ask only because 09 is unplayable for me... I get crash dumped every September 5. But I would hate to have to start a game with the 2008 database, with Thaksin still running Man City and Anelka at Bolton and Berbatov at Spurs, etc.

I don't think so, but you can download season updates for FM 2008 which will have all the updates.

No, they are not I am afraid. You know you can get updated databases for FM08 and by the sounds of it you never got the patch for FM08 if Anelka is still at Bolton.

I'm playing FM07 as well.

I gave FM08 a really good go but I never enjoyed it nearly as much as the earlier versions. The board confidence, poor regens, poor defending and fact the AI cracked my tactics all the time, meant I just couldnt enjoy it. It was just too much hard work, and when you like to develop youngsters it became a real chore.

I heard some good things about how FM09 was going to be a massive improvement, but unfortunately my computer wouldnt run the demo properly - the 2D was stuttery as hell, even though every previous game ran like a dream. If they patch the demo when 9.02 comes out, I'll try it and see if it runs. If it does I will but it.

But in the meantime I went back to FM07, and am not regretting it. For me, it had the perfect balance between challenge and simplicity/playability - although you would reap some benefits from tweaking your tactics, you never had to spend ages setting up for every game or suffer heavy defeat. It is fun!

I'm playing FM07 as well.

I gave FM08 a really good go but I never enjoyed it nearly as much as the earlier versions. The board confidence, poor regens, poor defending and fact the AI cracked my tactics all the time, meant I just couldnt enjoy it. It was just too much hard work, and when you like to develop youngsters it became a real chore.

I heard some good things about how FM09 was going to be a massive improvement, but unfortunately my computer wouldnt run the demo properly - the 2D was stuttery as hell, even though every previous game ran like a dream. If they patch the demo when 9.02 comes out, I'll try it and see if it runs. If it does I will but it.

But in the meantime I went back to FM07, and am not regretting it. For me, it had the perfect balance between challenge and simplicity/playability - although you would reap some benefits from tweaking your tactics, you never had to spend ages setting up for every game or suffer heavy defeat. It is fun!

There is already a patch for the demo isn't there?

I thought 2008 was brilliant after the second patch and if 2009 wasnt so awesome I would probably still be playing it. 2007 was excellent but its the little things that SI have implemented over the past 2-3 years that have me hooked. Everybody has their own opinion of course but for me I could never go back to 2007 as it would feel hollow without all the improvements over 08 & 09. Cheers

Robsabbaggio said: "But in the meantime I went back to FM07, and am not regretting it. For me, it had the perfect balance between challenge and simplicity/playability - although you would reap some benefits from tweaking your tactics, you never had to spend ages setting up for every game or suffer heavy defeat. It is fun!"

Totally agree with that. I never really enjoyed FM08. I have been playing FM09, and won't make my mind about it until the final patch. But the jerky 2D, and all the lags during the match, are spoiling much of my enjoyment and preventing me from any kind of "addiction". I really hope it gets fixed in the patch. As for 3D, I don't care: I find it awful to look at, and there's a sense of randomness about all those little cartoons moving around in "upper-class twat style" (if you know your Monty Python...) that is a total put-off. To put it shortly, I just don't believe in the 3D, there's absolutely no "suspension of disbelief", it's just a constant reminder that I'm playing a computer game (whilst the old 2D did wonders to the sense of immersion).

So I re-installed the old FM07, re-downloaded the final patch and re-applied it. And it's great. I don't know if it's the best one, but it's the one I had most fun with, and that's enough for me.

But I also wiped the dust out of my old CM01/02 and reinstalled it also. You know, the days when SI's official motto was that the game "was played in our minds". And guess what, it still works like that, it has kept much of it's gripping power. I had a go at it just for nostalgia sake and lots of things made me keep playing it for longer than I thought it would: the simplicity of it, but also the amount of leagues you can select without the processing speed taking a hit.

So now I have the three versions installed and I'm happily jumping between them.

i am still playing 2007 and still love it. i am thinking about getting the 08/09 patch for it but still have a good save atm.

a friend told me about the championship manager thing above and i've been trying to get it for the last few days but i just cant do it. when i give my details to register an account with them and click submit it just spends ages trying to load the next page and then comes up with a blank screen.

is there any way to mod your 07 so you have the current database of transfers but starting from the right date? it bothers me that it starts in july 2006 with new transfers

There is no way to change the starting date I am afraid.

Should be getting FM 09 for Christmas, in the meantime I've started a new game on 07. Started off unemployed, applied for a couple of jobs and was appointed at dirty Leeds. :o

Didn't win a game in pre-season. :thdn:

Drew 2 and lost 2, just played first game of the Championship season, stuffing my home club Southend 1-0.

Trying to flog off a few players but haven't received any interest, signings I've made are: Vasilis Tsiartas, who was out of contract. 33 year old Greek who has a wicked free kick and scored the winner in my first league game, Eric Djemba Djemba on loan till January (I think), Gabriel Agbonlahor till the rest of the season aswell, an old 38 year old left back Percy Olivares as cover on a freeby, snapped up Josep Guardiola on a free!

A bit short on the right hand side of midfield so just about to get a kid on loan from Man Utd, just declared an interest in Brian Hughes aswell but gotta reduce the wage bill first.

07 just immense really. I still play it, but I will eventually move onto 09 when I get a more powerful computer, assuming Spore doesn't grasp me. I hated 08 and couldn't run the 09 demo.

All three of my stories (<---) are on 07, and they're really helping me stay stuck in it.

Should be getting FM 09 for Christmas, in the meantime I've started a new game on 07. Started off unemployed, applied for a couple of jobs and was appointed at dirty Leeds. :o

Didn't win a game in pre-season. :thdn:

Drew 2 and lost 2, just played first game of the Championship season, stuffing my home club Southend 1-0.

Trying to flog off a few players but haven't received any interest, signings I've made are: Vasilis Tsiartas, who was out of contract. 33 year old Greek who has a wicked free kick and scored the winner in my first league game, Eric Djemba Djemba on loan till January (I think), Gabriel Agbonlahor till the rest of the season aswell, an old 38 year old left back Percy Olivares as cover on a freeby, snapped up Josep Guardiola on a free!

A bit short on the right hand side of midfield so just about to get a kid on loan from Man Utd, just declared an interest in Brian Hughes aswell but gotta reduce the wage bill first.

Was 5 league games into it (won 3, drew 1, lost 1) and had just progressed into the second round of the League Cup and realised I couldn't be arsed with Leeds. :D

Just bout to start a new game now, dunno who with yet.

What patch are you using? I have a tactic which I made myself which a) is better than kimz (in terms of results) and b) doesn't exploit the ME AFAIK.

It depends on the patch, though. I have one that works better unpatched, and one that's best on 7.0.2.

the latest patch i also downloaded the new 08/09 update but yh i think i have 7.0.2

Ready to send, along with two tactics to use in the last ten minutes or so- one for when winning by a single goal, the other for when losing by two or less goals.

The wingers must be quick, and all four wide players must be able to cross. The CM on the left is more defensive, on the right, more attacking. The striker on the right is the TM, and on the left is the FS.

PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Guest mam2778

I'm also playing 07, bought both 08 and 09. Gave 08 a good play but i didnt enjoy it as much as 07. I was determined that 09 would be the best fm ever but after playing 1 match in an hour found that my computer just couldnt stomach it! The lag in the matches was unbearable and as another poster has said it spoilt my enjoyment. I loved all the new features but for me it just wasnt playable on my pc. I went back to FM 07 immediately after taking 09 back and am still loving it, whether its the best ever i guess depends on what computer you have and how much free time you have on your hands!!

Hey !

Those that are playing 2007 , are you playing it on vista?

I went back to it , but my new fancy computer cant handle it. I cant get full screen and the game speed sliders doont work on vista. Therefore I am forced to play every game in slow motion , and watch it in a tiny screen . i would appreciate any advice from anyone on how to fix these issues.

Merry christmas.

FM07 is the definitive version of FM. FM08 was probably the worse release since CM4, the patches made it better but it was still broken and none of the new features worked properly. FM09 is good but it still has loads of issues... I suspect FM10 will beat them all though!

Archived