Question about tutoring

I know what the options "ideal role model" (for personality) and "learn from player" (preferred moves) do, but i don't know why the second option is for.I mean the "would benefit by adopting player's approach to the game ". Anyone who is sure can help.thanks

I thought it was:

Ideal Role Model - CA, Personality, PPM's

Learn From Player - PPM's, CA

Adopt Approach - Personality

In order, with the first one least likely to result in a successful pairing, but providing the maximum benefit. The third is most likely to result in a successful pairing, but provides much less benefit.

I am not certain; I don't tend to "peek under the hood". Its just my impression - my young players who have had successful tutoring links do seem to improve more than a player getting similar playing time who does not receive a successful tutoring. I couldn't swear to it, though; it could be mere coincidence.

A successful tutoring is very useful and does improve the youngsters. I notice it especially on the mental attributes, which would not raise has dramatically if the youngster would have not been tutored.

For example, I like to have "very determined" squads. So, when I see a youngster with low determination attributes, I try to pair him with a guy with high determination. This usually results in dramatic improvements in the determination stat.

Lyssien is right. Role Model, Adopt Approach and Learn From is just how long the two players should work together.

i don't think that with role model, the youngster learns preferred moves.So it's not only how long they will work.

I had a good player but with unambitious personality.First i made him balanced (with ideal model role) and now i am going to make him Fairly sporting and maybe to like the big matches

i don't think that with role model, the youngster learns preferred moves.So it's not only how long they will work.

I had a good player but with unambitious personality.First i made him balanced (with ideal model role) and now i am going to make him Fairly sporting and maybe to like the big matches

The youngster learns preferred moves with all three options.

Lyssien is right. Role Model, Adopt Approach and Learn From is just how long the two players should work together.

I quote you both.

I knew that was working like that, but I knew that the only differences are the time of tutoring.

What I really don't know is: is only a matter of time?

I quote you both.

I knew that was working like that, but I knew that the only differences are the time of tutoring.

What I really don't know is: is only a matter of time?

When I ran the tests for FM08, the option chosen did not have a measurable or logical effect on wether tutoring was successful or not. Sometimes one option would work and another would not (for two specific players), but there was no apparent reason for this. It seemd totally random.

Also, I failed to notice what Joor is stating (difference in quantity of time spent together) in my tests.

Actually, back then I had posted two tutoring threads in the bugs forum. In the first one, I reported the lack of difference in the three options of tutoring. In the second one, I reported that sometimes tutoring failed and players hated each other because of "big difference in personality", although I had made sure that their personalities were identical when tutoring was starting (I had edited the youngster's personality attributes -Professionalism, Determination, Pressure etc- to match those of the tutor).

Unfortunately, none of those two threads received an official reply. I was hoping to write a guide for tutoring in FM, but the lack of any coherence in the results of the tests did not allow me to. Instead, I wrote a Personality Guide explaining what each Personality description means. You can find that in the tactics and training forum:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=16356

I still use tutoring. When a youngster lacks in personality (eg, low determination, seems unprofessional, cannot handle pressure or has some personality description that means bad things according to the Personality Guide), I try having him tutored by some older all around personality (eg Resilient, Spirited etc). Then I know that if tutoring is successful, the personality attributes of the youngster are going to change towards those of the tutor (even if the tutor had worse ratings in some personality attributes). But there is no way of telling whether tutoring will succeed.

Well I guess most of this discussion is semantics really - net result is that tutoring improves a youth player in principle.

My question is this: How much difference does the quality of the tutor make ? So for instance is it worthwhile signing say Ronaldo (the fat one) on a free because he would bring a much bigger bonus to tutoring than say Dean Windass would....? Is this at all measureable and do players have a hidden tutoring skill at all ?

Well I guess most of this discussion is semantics really - net result is that tutoring improves a youth player in principle.

My question is this: How much difference does the quality of the tutor make ? So for instance is it worthwhile signing say Ronaldo (the fat one) on a free because he would bring a much bigger bonus to tutoring than say Dean Windass would....? Is this at all measureable and do players have a hidden tutoring skill at all ?

Just to make this clear: tutoring only improves the youngster when the tutor's personality is better than his. If the tutor's personality is worse, the youngster worsens (even if the message claims that tutoring has been successful). So, it 's really important to have players that have good personalities in order to tutor. I sometimes sign players just for this reason (Model Citizen, anyone?). The most important attributes for this are Determination, Professionalism, Pressure and an OK Ambition, in my opinion.

There is no hidden tutoring attribute, but I too wonder whether Reputation and/or Influence play some role in the success of tutoring. I haven't tested that tbh.

And which is faster if you want a player to learn a ppm? i mean now you have the option to tell a player to "run with ball down right" for example and you have a player who already has this ppm. It's faster to learn this from the older player or in training?

Protera,

- Yes, it is possible to change personality more than once. This may even happen during one and only tutoring, as the youngster's personality attributes gradually change.

- When I use tutoring, I pick an option at random. As I said, my tests (in FM08) did not show any relevance between tutoring success and option chosen.

- I don't know wich one is faster. If tutoring seems like a good idea because of personality reasons, I 'd try tutoring first or even both at the same time. If personality tutoring is not needed, I 'd try training alone.

All I know is that in FM08 all three options affected exactly the same things: PPMs, Determination, Professionalism, Pressure, Temperament, Ambition, Loyalty, Adaptability, Sportsmanship and Controversy. I know, because I ran tests.

This is wrong to me

CA? You mean tutoring iproves current ability?

I see it as :

Role Model - mental attributes and PPMs

Learn From - PPMs only

Adopt Approach - mental atts only

This is right.:thup:

Also a little tip. I think Lyssien had a thread on different personalities.

You don't need to train personalities if they are determined or higher.

This is wrong to me

For FM 2008, I assure you it is not. PPM's could also be picked up from "learn mental approach". It seemed to happen less but I have seen it a few times. Likewise, "learn from player" could sometimes also result in increases in determination etc (if tutor had higher determination).

It's possible what the different options do is place more emphasis on one thing than the other, but the effects do crossover.

Don't know if this has changed somewhat for FM 2009.

Archived