New 3D engine - waste of time?

J.W.

With the new 3D engine there seems to be so many common errors!! For example- goalkeepers standing still and letting a forward run past them!

Another one is the robotic movement of the players and the fact that theyr so static!

Although 2D is still ther, it is only representing the 3D ode and so it is also affected by the 3D engine faults!

anybody hav any views?

Any bugs in the match engine aren't caused by the 3D. The 3D match is just a representation of what the match engine is doing. The SI team always try to improve the match engine, making it more realistic while introducing new features.

fair point, but it just seems like the previous few fm 2D engines were better and had fewer obvious errors.

Each and every match engine had its flaws. Some were fixed, which often introduced others, some weren't or returned.

With 2D you may not have noticed many of the problems, e.g. goalies standing still. It happened in past versions too, but looks a lot more silly in 3d.

One thing I could imagine to have caused many problems, especially with player movement is the new ball physics engine that was introduced for 3d. I also suspect a couple of errors when player mevement and its direction is calculated - soo many players just run sideways instead of turnung to the ball and get it before the opponent.

However, SI have over the past years managed to iron out many flaws through patches, and whilst it's a shame that this is a common procedure these days, I'm looking forward to the patched match engine as I believe it will look a lot more like the game we all love (football ;)).

Cheers

There's more to the 3d than meets the eye; certainly more detail than in the current version with the fixed cameras. The engine has high requirements because it renders models in high quality, down to faces. Just wait and see what the future brings .. ;)

Why have all the graphics if we can't see them.

I just bought Company of Heroes and that runs better than FM's 3D mode unless I click on the toolbar at the bottom so it is not focussed on FM, then it runs like a charm :p

i suppose it is right to say that errors are just more noticable in 3d, but i'l still play with 2D coz i can at least imagine a real game :)

but yes, it is a great prospect for the future as one day it could be perfect!

Why have all the graphics if we can't see them.

I just bought Company of Heroes and that runs better than FM's 3D mode unless I click on the toolbar at the bottom so it is not focussed on FM, then it runs like a charm :p

I've said this before, but ocassionally the engine fubars and you get a couple of frames at individual model level and the detail is very good. So its in. They just probably went for fixed cameras on this release for some reason hitherto unknown by those out of the loop - my guess is lack of model animations or they werne't happy with the stock they got in from SEGA affiliates/subsidiary.

But it is in there. If they have stadia etc. ready to go (which I am sure they do you know) it won't look vastly different to FIFA, probably fewer polygons and slightly lower detail, but the fan base will sort that out in time.

Haven't you 'seen' it? You probably have .. just didn't think anything of it.

I've said this before, but ocassionally the engine fubars and you get a couple of frames at individual model level and the detail is very good. So its in. They just probably went for fixed cameras on this release for some reason hitherto unknown by those out of the loop - my guess is lack of model animations or they werne't happy with the stock they got in from SEGA affiliates/subsidiary.

But it is in there. If they have stadia etc. ready to go (which I am sure they do you know) it won't look vastly different to FIFA, probably fewer polygons and slightly lower detail, but the fan base will sort that out in time.

Haven't you 'seen' it? You probably have .. just didn't think anything of it.

Well, if the minimum requirements get much higher then SI will lose alot of customers.

Well, if the minimum requirements get much higher then SI will lose alot of customers.

The minimum requirements are high because the engine is a lot more expansive than we see in the present release. The FM 09 3d isn't representative of the final work. Its cut down and capped, presumably to ensure it runs OK on more machines than the full version would have.

The minimum requirements are high because the engine is a lot more expansive than we see in the present release. The FM 09 3d isn't representative of the final work. Its cut down and capped, presumably to ensure it runs OK on more machines than the full version would have.

Well if the full version is too much higher there will be uproar

with all the detail and animations in Company of Heroes even a full FM 3D should still run okay on my machine.

Well if the full version is too much higher there will be uproar

with all the detail and animations in Company of Heroes even a full FM 3D should still run okay on my machine.

Your missing my point: its already done. The only difference is the detail level. A few stadia skins and extra animations at model level won't make much difference. Just more camera angles and close ups etc.

Archived