Work permit or grow?

I signed Mario Ticinovic from Hadjuk during the summer but he didn't get his work permit. Is it better for him to grow as a player in the club or loan him straight to a work permit feeder club? Would this make a difference? I was hoping that since he has a lot of potential he would be able to win some caps with Croatia and then get a permit that way.

If he's already a Croatian international I'd just keep him with you and keep trying to offer him a new contract after each international until he meets WP requirements. Otherwise I'd still send him out on loan. If he was young enough (say 16-17) and on a long enough contract it might actually be possible to keep him in your team and wait out the 5 years... but generally not a good idea.

But if he isn't playing any games and loses match fitness, he'll be dropped from the international squad and you'll never get a work permit for him.

On the other hand, if he is a current international and he's loaned out to any league where he gets competitive games of a high-enough level, he'll develop AND hopefully get enough international games to cross the threshold to be eligible for a work permit. At that point you offer him a new contract, he home office will approve his permit and you bring him back from his loan.

Archived