Verbal Agreements

Was thinking with the Michael Owen situation, Should SI add a new system in where a player leaving a contract can "verbally" agree to join another club in the same country 6 months earlier then the free agent sign up date.

That way other clubs can try and hijack the deals.

I Have seen this happen in real life so why not in FM :D

I suppose it could be included...with of course the risk of heavy penalties (fines, points deductions, Juventus-style relegations, etc) if you're caught.

An old F1 Manager game I used to play in the mid 90s had two of these "features". One allowed you to run illegal driving aids (at the risk of being caught in scrutineering and disqualified) - and the other allowed you to literally spy on other teams' technology - at the risk of being panned in a similar way to how McLaren were last season.

So I guess introducing tapping up could be a good feature...I guess there's a few "ethical" barriers to it though, plus legal ones, if Real Team A successfully taps up Real Player B in the game world?

Was thinking with the Michael Owen situation, Should SI add a new system in where a player leaving a contract can "verbally" agree to join another club in the same country 6 months earlier then the free agent sign up date.

That way other clubs can try and hijack the deals.

I Have seen this happen in real life so why not in FM :D

As JB22 pointed out, this is illegal. The fact that it does happen in real life does not mean that should be added to the game. It's like asking "can we add corruption in FM? It happens in real life!"

btw is it true english clubs can not sign a player on a free 6 months before their contract runs out if they are based in england? you could always used to be able to arrange the bosman around new year, now you cant becuase 'they are in england'. i dont get it. you can still sign players from other countries so why not england no more? is this true to life or what?? becuase you still hear it said in real life...?

Was that Grand Prix Manager?

I've got some great memories of that old game....bug ridden, but the best out there at the time. (sounds familiar)

Yep, looking back it was sooo simplistic but it was good enough for a 13 year old in 1996...the annoying thing for me was no regen/newgen system and a 10 season game limit, still, so many good memories :D

It's like asking "can we add corruption in FM? It happens in real life!"

Ah some stuff would be fun though. I'd love getting a message like: Some Russian businessmen came over to advice you that it is your best interest to loose your next game. They added that they think you have a really nice family and that it would be such a shame if anything bad would ever happen to them.. :D

btw is it true english clubs can not sign a player on a free 6 months before their contract runs out if they are based in england? you could always used to be able to arrange the bosman around new year, now you cant becuase 'they are in england'. i dont get it. you can still sign players from other countries so why not england no more? is this true to life or what?? becuase you still hear it said in real life...?

Yes, you only can do that when they have one month remaining on there contract.

As JB22 pointed out, this is illegal. The fact that it does happen in real life does not mean that should be added to the game. It's like asking "can we add corruption in FM? It happens in real life!"

Indeed; not only would it be immoral to introduce illegal practices, but I'd imagine SI could be open to being sued. Such aspects could ONLY be applied to regens - but that would have to include regen managers and chairmen also - but they never seem to die or retire!

Archived