biggest premeirship flops

I dont know if i will create this as a challenge but i thought we could have a team of the premierships biggest flops. The only rule is that he must be on the english database on fmh 09.

This could mean that he flopped at one club but did really well somewhere else

for example sidwell flopped at chelsea but was good at reading.

So far

Ade Akinbiyi leicester City

shevchenko chelsea

jeffers arsenal

morientes liverpool

Boumsong at Newcastle

Albert Luque at Newcastle

Eric Djemba-Djemba at Man Utd and Aston Villa

Jon-Dahl Tomasson at Newcastle

Claudio Pizarro at Chelsea

Florent Malouda at Chelsea

Forlan at manchester united

Oooh here we go:

Boumsong at Newcastle

Savo Milosevic at Aston Villa (I don't know if he's on the db so you'll have to check)

Albert Luque at Newcastle

Eric Djemba-Djemba at Man Utd and Aston Villa

Jon-Dahl Tomasson at Newcastle

Claudio Pizarro at Chelsea

Florent Malouda at Chelsea

Kuqi wasn't really a flop, he scored quite a few important goals at Blackburn, and Voronin was a free transfer so it's not a huge flop. Other than that I can't disagree!

More I've thought of:

Per Kroldrup at Everton

Craig Gordon (so far at least) at Sunderland

Julien Faubert at West Ham (considering the price tag)

Gomes, your basing assumptions on what he did weeks ago, since then, he's kept clean sheets, caught crosses, made that brilliant save against Man U yesterday. No way would I consider him a flop.

For Spurs

Helder Postiga, Bobby Zamora, Ian Walker, Gary Doherty are ones that spring to mind. Sadly, I think Ramon Vega has retired.

• SI Staff
Gomes' date=' your basing assumptions on what he did weeks ago, since then, he's kept clean sheets, caught crosses, made that brilliant save against Man U yesterday. No way would I consider him a flop.

For Spurs

Helder Postiga, Bobby Zamora, Ian Walker, Gary Doherty are ones that spring to mind. Sadly, I think Ramon Vega has retired.[/quote']

Zamora wasn't a flop imho - Spurs destroyed him and a lot of other promising young players during that period by continually messing them about and ensuring they never got a consistent run in the team ...

Per Kroldrup at Everton

Craig Gordon (so far at least) at Sunderland

Julien Faubert at West Ham (considering the price tag)

Craig Gordon is a terrible shout on this one. He is easily britain's best goalkeeper and he'd stroll into the england team if he was english. His only mistake was leaving scotland for a rubbish premier league side instead of playing another year or two and going to a big team.

The facts from last seasons opta statistics prove it if i remember correctly he made more saves than almost any other keeper and probably kept Sunderland up.

Craig Gordon is a terrible shout on this one. He is easily britain's best goalkeeper and he'd stroll into the england team if he was english. His only mistake was leaving scotland for a rubbish premier league side instead of playing another year or two and going to a big team.

The facts from last seasons opta statistics prove it if i remember correctly he made more saves than almost any other keeper and probably kept Sunderland up.

Gotta disagree with you there buddy, Craig Gordon has the potential to be excellent, but Britain's best keeper? I'd count David James and Chris Kirkland better for starters, plus Shay Given if you're counting Ireland as well. Mind you, (other than Given) saying you're Britain's best keeper is like saying you're the hairiest bald man.

He hasn't been terrible, but he did cost around £10m IIRC, and for that money I'd expect more. He may have made a lot of saves, but he also made more than a few mistakes, and with the Sunderland defence infront of him he's bound to have more saves to make than most of the rest of the league.

I've watched craig gordon for a few years at hearts and he constantly won us points. He is incredible and without a doubt he is britains best goalkeeper. He has never made mistakes like David James he has proven at international level with scotland that he is top class also and not just in games against diddy countries. (Don't know if you are aware but we beat france TWICE).

10 million was a bargain for as good a keeper as he is especially with the rediculous value man city are trying to pay for buffon.

I know, I watch a bit of Scottish football myself and I agree that for Hearts he was undoubtedly the best keeper in the SPL (Boruc possibly challenging). However, the quality of the opposition in the Premiership is a lot higher, and he has been far less impressive thus far for Sunderland.

Just for comparison, the two goalkeepers I can think of who have been transferred for around the same price in the last 3 or 4 years are Petr Cech and Jose Reina, I just don't think he's come anywhere near the level of those two in his time at Sunderland so far. Also you wouldn't expect a £10m goalkeeper to be dropped by a team battling relegation (as Gordon was around this time last year). I don't have a particular axe to grind with Gordon; in fact I'd love him to succeed, I just think that for the money it's right to expect more.

i think the reason gordan was so much was because is a home grown talent. If he had being say italian for french sunderland would have only probably paid 4 or 5m for him. I do think it is alot of money for him but i wouldnt say he has being a flop.

Archived