Free All Players database

I know that this will not appeal to some people, who play FM for its realism etc (as I have done and continue to do) but I have had a lot of fun with the new FM's Free All Players option (in the editor) meaning that you can start a new game with every player on the database unattached. I had tremendous fun building a squad for Northampton (my team, sad I know) and looked forward to seeing what kinds of squads other teams would develop. Sadly, all I have found is that the majority of computer-controlled teams haven't gone out and signed anyone, or perhaps 4-5 players at best. While I fully understand that this is an unrealistic game situation, surely it is strange that, say Arsenal, with an empty squad, would simply sign 5 players in pre-season? I was hoping that the diffusion of players would make for an excitingly different career scenario, but instead I am winning every game 6-0 because my team of Premiership and Championship reserves/youth players is playing against 16 yr olds every week....Not a complaint by any means, but I would have thought that if the possibility of freeing all players is there, then there should be some code in the game to ensure that AI controlled teams build full squads...This feature could be a lot more fun if it was more fully implemented*

Has anyone else tried this and had similar/different experiences?

*Building this squad has also made it the first time Northampton have ever been good on FM :-)

Archived