I'm shelving FM09 until the next patch comes out. Very disappointing...

Just when I thought I'd got FM09 working nicely, a shocking bug comes out of the woodwork (Premier League players retiring instead of agreeing to join Championship/League One clubs) which means there's just no point continuing the game until the bug is fixed, especially if you happen to be playing with a lower league club.

More details here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=72618

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=78679

The upshot of this bug is that all the decent released Prem players drop out of the game, and the game just ends up being flooded with regens. For example, Daniel Sturridge would rather retire than play for a Championship club!

Apparently this bug isn't going to be fixed until the next patch - which I'm guessing is probably going to be February, after the Jan transfer window?

It just goes to strengthen the case to say that the best way to play FM is to avoid the hysteria over the demo, the initial release, and the first patch, and buy the game after the second patch has come out. Otherwise, like me, you spend ages putting a really nice little team together and fighting your way up the league, only to find you need to start your whole campaign again because FM needs to be patched so much to get rid of all the hideous bugs.

How frustrating...

I think you'll find the next patch is due in 3 days.

"hideous bugs", now who's getting hysterical.

That's news to me, but good news.

The bug I mentioned is hideous. Completely ruins the game if you are a lower league club. Premier kids moving to lower league clubs is a massive part of football in real life and in the game. It's fundamental. It shouldn't have been missed in testing. Once the new patch is in, I'll have to replay two seasons that I was pretty happy with, which is a pain.

It's not 'getting hysterical' to want a game that doesn't have such massive errors in it...

Although I imagine Daniel Sturridge would rather drop into the Championship than out of football altogether, I know of plenty of young footballers who become disillusioned with football after being released by a big club and giving up altogether.

Archived