What effects game performance? SI please clarify,

When you create a new game, you have several options presented to you, my question is, which ones affect short and long term game performance in terms of; Loading times, processing times,

How do the following affect game performance?

A) Amount of leagues running as playable?

B) Amount of leagues running as view-only?

C) Loading players from specific countries, how does this affect performance?

D) Database size, small medium large? How does this affect performance?

My first thoughts are that A and B should affect game performance long-term, but C) and D) should only affect initial loading time?

Thanks SI if you answer this, I want to make a new game today

/Matty

They all affect game performance.

With C) and D) the number of players in the game is going to be greater. Meaning more scouting, more regens/newgens being created, more players retiring etc. etc. Since this needs to be processed, this is going to affect performance. It will also increase the size of your save game which will affect performance.

When you create a new game, you have several options presented to you, my question is, which ones affect short and long term game performance in terms of; Loading times, processing times,

My first thoughts are that A and B should affect game performance long-term, but C) and D) should only affect initial loading time?

/Matty

Good question, i wouldn't mind knowing the answers too!

Secondly though, why not wait for the new patch that is hopefully out on Thursday to start a new game? All the fixes will take effect straight away then!

/Matty

a.the more leagues you have the more the game needs to load.

b.dont know about that sorry dont use it.

c.same as b.

d.the bigger the database the more players you load up and i think longer loading time.

Skorp, whilst were on the subject of performance, if the save game is compressed does it make any difference to it not being compressed? I heard somewhere that it increases loading times?

Having used that option in FM05 I can confirm it drastically increases saving and loading times. Depends on whether you want a smaller saved game. Haven't used it since.

View-only means less processing. Skorp answered about C and D.

A and D would be the most intensive on performance, I think.

I have England (all divisions) on playable and 6 more top divisions on view-only. C is much less intensive than A or D so I load up a few of those - it does imbalance the game though. I've retained all players from Brazil and there are Gazillions of Brazillions players and staff popping up everywhere.

Ok, thanks Skorp, is there any possibility to get any numbers or how big losses/gains in performance are we talking about here?

And patch is out on thursday? Argh, cannot wait that long haha : P

No, performance would be impacted differently on different specification machines so it is impossible to predict accurately how things would change.

And don't ask about the patch. When we have information on it we will make an announcement. Asking about the patch and when it's coming is about the best way of getting threads closed. :)

Archived