is this cheating???

Ok, am I cheating or cunningly using my resources to my ability??

I was manager of Roma, I had loads of money thanks to a new chinese director, so I bought Micah Richards for 50m and Aguero for 41m. After winning the league title I decided I wanted to return to England for a career job. When the Man City job came available I jumped at the chance.

My rep was very strong as I had been promoted with Brighton and had won the league and cup with Palermo and then with Roma . I was pretty sure the city job was mine. SO........

I renewed Aguero, Aquillani, De Rossi and Richards' contracts making sure they included 10m minimum fee clauses.

I got the city job and took all the above players with me for 40m, leaving me another 100m to play with!!!

Did I cheat or just use the rules to my advantage???

In my opinion you didnt technically cheat... although you would have been scuppered if you hadnt got the City job!!

IRL though I couldnt see contracts like that slipping through. Maybe FM should have something that trips when a contract is offered with a minimum fee release clause ridiculously below their value?

Edit: note the first paragraph is talking about real life rather than in FM.

I think it's something that could technically happen in real life, but any manager that did something so blatantly unprofessional would never be trusted in management again. The Man City board may well get rid of you as soon as possible. How can they be assured you're not going to screw them over?

Wouldn't happen in real life - same for releasing players on a free then moving clubs.

Not cheating however. bad programming???

Shouldn't the board block stupid contact offers? In fact shouldn't the board be negotiating players contracts - not managers?

Basically the board say "this is the contract we'll be offering player x". Then the manger can have options of "accept", "don't offer" or "negotiate lower offer".

Shouldn't the board block stupid contact offers? In fact shouldn't the board be negotiating players contracts - not managers?

Basically the board say "this is the contract we'll be offering player x". Then the manger can have options of "accept"' date=' "don't offer" or "negotiate lower offer".[/quote']

This is so true, Would make the game so much better.

Excellent idea

IRL the manager wouldn't be the one offering the players terms and conditions, he would just tell the board to renew player x's contract and the board of directors would negotiate with the player.

Blame the board, you have can have a clear conscience!

I think it's something that could technically happen in real life, but any manager that did something so blatantly unprofessional would never be trusted in management again. The Man City board may well get rid of you as soon as possible. How can they be assured you're not going to screw them over?

Wouldn't happen in real life - same for releasing players on a free then moving clubs.

I don't think it could technically happen in real life since managers don't have unequivocal power over transfers. Never mind that Roma probably has a General Manager or some such, the chairman/board would have final say on contracts.

To be pedantic, I'd say it's not a 'cheat' but an 'exploit'. Cheat involves using an editor or downloading something to change the game. By 'exploit' I mean you took advantage in a lapse in the coding of FM to gain an unrealistic advantage.

As everyone is saying, you're not playing a network game and gaining an unfair advantage over anyone else - it's just you and your conscience!

cheating but like everyone else has said you paid your money you play the game anyway you want. in saying this i have informed special branch and it appears that the government are considering reintroducing the death penalty as a one of for this most heinous of crimes

Basically the board say "this is the contract we'll be offering player x". Then the manger can have options of "accept"' date=' "don't offer" or "negotiate lower offer".[/quote']

Precisely. You could also recommend when to re-sign players, how long for etc. Giving the board control over this would have to be sensible though, for example the board might play hard-ball on minimum fees requested by players, and always try to have a release equal to or higher than current value.

Ultimately we'd still get the same control, albeit indirectly, and we wouldn't be able to exploit the game...

Something similar to this (allegedly) happened a few years ago IRL, although at a much lower level of football.

The contracts of 3 very promising players at Cambridge City were apparently changed not long before their mentor left the club. He then joined local rivals Cambridge United, and United were able to sign all 3 players on free transfers, allegedly because of these recent changes to their contracts.

The man in question was accused of adding the clauses to the player's contracts purely to allow them to move clubs for significantly less than their market value...sound familiar? :)

I still say it's cheating and dishonest in-game, but thought that may interest people.

is this cheating???

Usually just asking that question means you did cheat.

Technically this may not be cheating but is certainly exploiting the game.

Also, I find it strange that people do this sort of stuff with teams that have so much money anyway. Managing one of the rich teams or a team in the top half of the top leagues you shouldn't need to cheat or exploit the game.

Something similar to this (allegedly) happened a few years ago IRL, although at a much lower level of football.

The contracts of 3 very promising players at Cambridge City were apparently changed not long before their mentor left the club. He then joined local rivals Cambridge United, and United were able to sign all 3 players on free transfers, allegedly because of these recent changes to their contracts.

The man in question was accused of adding the clauses to the player's contracts purely to allow them to move clubs for significantly less than their market value...sound familiar? :)

I still say it's cheating and dishonest in-game, but thought that may interest people.

Do we know what happened to the man in question? Could he be convicted of fraud (defined as "a deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual")?

You pay your money and play how you want to.... If you want to be able to BEND (exploit) the rules so you win without much effort, then you are cheating yourself.

Take on every new task with the grit and determination and a will to win regardless. Remember you will have good days and bad days - thats life.

So in fact your just cheating yourself.

Do we know what happened to the man in question? Could he be convicted of fraud (defined as "a deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual")?

Since you asked; the man in question is now manager of Cambridge United's un-official U-18 team (Cambridge Regional College), currently 7th in the Ridgeons Football League Premier division.

There was talk of a high court case against him and a number of ex-board members at Cambridge City about various "accusations of financial impropriety", but I don't know of any case coming to court yet.

Apologies for dragging this a bit off topic :)

This is cheating, but also brilliant. I once thought about the same thing, but I never had to opportunity to try it. Might give it a go if opportunity arises.

By the way, it is no bigger cheating then using FM08's Kimz tactic or corner routine :)

im undecided in this matter as its up to you. however, if you are feeling guilty about it and you fear your game will become unplayable after this, i suggest you quit man city (and no dodgey deals this time) and then re-apply for the job. if you get it then you deserve to be let off this once if you dont then that is your punishment.

What is a minimum fee release clause? I have seen this in the game, but ignored it because I don't know what it is.

Can someone explain to an American who is still learning about football?

Thanks in advance

if say a player has a minimum fee release clause in their contract with Club Aof £10million. then if Club B bids £10million for that player it has to be accepted by Club A.

Archived