ever felt like making yourself a player at the club you manage?

It's been something I've always thought about doing, getting a regen and stripping him of everything and building him in your own image. Problem lies in the facts that a) far too difficult to be impartial b) you could always get poached by another club. It would be nice if there was an automated thing where if you chose ex-professional/ex-international status you got a random player based on your reputation, but were you to put yourself in at 25 as ex-international in the blue square north/south you automatically had injury proneness of 20 as justification for your playing career being cut short.

Only reason why I'd like it to be automated is because in some games I'd fancy this and it'd add a new dimension to the game but doing it with an editor is far too hard to get something authentic. Obviously wouldn't want any gimick-like things - leave that to EA with their probable eventual release of a standalone be a pro game - just a player with your name who can't get pinched and has your age etc.

It's still not the same, I mean I did suggest that but at the end of the day if you put yourself in too good you'll get snapped up by bigger and better clubs for daft sums of money and it throws the whole game out and if you change clubs you may leave a weak team with a good player etc. Also, as a player he would have to be on 0 wages, which would cause unhappiness issues etc. I tried it on FM08 in ireland and it went horrendously wrong and somehow ended up getting sold for 12m to man utd, ruined the game so put me severly off doing it myself.

Once an FM reaches the end of it's shelf-life for me, I go into the editor and put myself into the game. At Liverpool ofc.

And ofc I'm an outstanding talent who is totally devoted to Liverpool and hates all the other teams who might try and pinch me/could possibly afford me.

It's just a bit of fun and I rarely pass 3 seasons, so I've never really seen myself reach my full potential, sadly.

I found a rubbish 16 year-old with my surname and imagined him to be my son. I've edited his PA to be -10 (altho' his CA is barely above single figures). He'll doubtless grow up to be a journeyman lower-league footballer like other manager's sons - Paul Sturrock, Kenny Dalgleish, Sir Alex etc. but right now, despite his constant 5 ratings in the U19s, the dream is alive.

The way to do this optimally is as described.

1. Loyalty to the Maximum

2. Favorite team to the Maximum for the current team

3. Set extreme dislike for all of the world's biggest clubs

4. Set a long term contract.

One bit which doesn't work in 9.1.0, but should work in most versions, is setting up a "Future Transfer" or retirement date. For example, if you're setting yourself up as a 30-year-old, set yourself with an 8-year contract and set a Club retirement date for the summer that you turn 38.

Alternately, as a 16-year-old, you could set yourself with a 23-year contract and a Future Transfer for the summer that "you" turn 39. Set the transfer to go to a club in an inactive league.

Since a transfer is already arranged, no AI clubs will bid for the player .. which means he will stay at the original club until the date indicated for the Future Transfer.

In your mental story, you just tell yourself that, in real life, you retired on the date of your Transfer, rather than transferring away.

(Downside: "You" could still wind up going into coaching, so you may notice "Yourself" managing another club at a later date.. :D)

I've done this on nearly every version of FM and the novelty never wears off, usually as a lifelong Spurs full-back who totally dislikes the top 4 clubs in England, but loves Spurs. Eventually I retire as making the most appearances for Spurs and take up a coaching role, one year I became my own assistant.

My whole family is in the game, all free agents and I hardly ever never sign them. Most of the games they dont reach potential but in my FM08 game I had for over 30 years my step brother did rather well and scored a hatrick against me from midfield in the champ league final! :D

I think you mean we need a "player/manager" option when you create your profile. It would be a player who's relatively old and whose stats will decline slowly but surely.

And the fans should complain if you consistently play badly but keep putting yourself in the match squad :)

I think you mean we need a "player/manager" option when you create your profile. It would be a player who's relatively old and whose stats will decline slowly but surely.

And the fans should complain if you consistently play badly but keep putting yourself in the match squad :)

This could actually work, espcecially if your playing a lower league game

Yea, the lower league thing would work quite well, like Ince and Wise in recent years. Also the suggested comments about selecting yourself and the media comments you'd get and the sorts would make it interesting.

My whole family is in the game, all free agents and I hardly ever never sign them. Most of the games they dont reach potential but in my FM08 game I had for over 30 years my step brother did rather well and scored a hatrick against me from midfield in the champ league final! :D

I've edited my missus, brother-in-law and sisters-in-law in as chairwoman and directors. I'm always thanking my sugar mummy for pumping in a couple of million every month - not into the transfer budget, but to cover my regular losses. :)

Archived