managing in Ireland (advice please)

I know nothing about Irish football, but randomly fancy a go at it....

couple of questions, who to go with and...I have 10 other leagues across europe on my game, how long before I get a half decent rep to move across to say england, league 2?

It would depend on what division you start in and what your start rep is. Some of the players in the FAI league are quite good from what I have scouted and could easily play in Leagues 1 and 2 in England. f you do well i would think you could get a job there.

If you start further down the leagues then you are going to have to do as you do anywhere and qork up some rep by winning leagues. Just getting promoted doesn't always help.

Work your way up the pyramid and get in to Europe and you'll almost certainly do fine. I haven't really played long enough in 09 to be any specific help but that's my thoughts.

~Cheers lads, taken over Shamrock in the Republics premier league, media prediction = 8th out of 12!

Reputation is automatic, therefore nothing! lol

Fabregas 04 - are there any wee nuggets playing in the IFA in Northern Ireland at the mo?

It's pretty realistic, you need to be especially successful to get a cross channel move. English clubs just generally are only interested if the manager has international experience, e.g. Keane.

Some managers have made moves however. Like Steven Kenny going to scotland, or Sam Allardyce who managed Limerick a long time ago. Also, it seems to be changing a bit - internationals like Jeff Kenna are coming to Ireland to try to get some experience, allowing them to combine their reputation with some actually time in management.

Unfortunately I can't help you there either really. I don't follow our league as it makes me depressed and makes me want to cry a bit at times. It's like watching a cross between **** rugby and puppy murder, as in, confusing and unnecessarily cruel. You could have a look through the Linfield and Glentoran squads and see. Linfield would probably be your best bet to find anything.

It dpeends which league but I know one has a rule where you can only name 3 subs. In real life this means that goalkeepers don't get picked as a sub.

:confused: Maybe that's the North Irish league, but there is no such rule in the League of Ireland.

Neilio Hi,

My first game of 09 started in the league of Ireland. I live next door to Dalymount Park and so Bohemians were my chosen team! From what I have learned it is handy enough to get a chance across the water. I played 4 seasons and won the title 3 times and each of the cups a couple of times. Added to this was the fact that you can qualify for Europe easy enough.

I was 45 minutes away from qualifying for the group stages of the Champions League once. The advantage the Irish sides have is that we play summer football over here, so by the time the european football starts your side is fully bedded in. So, even if you come up against a bigger team, they are sometimes unfit as it is near the start of their season and you can take them.

I have been offered jobs in L2, but have turned them down as I want this to be my 'take my hometown club to glory' save. So,it is possible!

Try and sign Brian murphy on a free from Bohs at the end of the first season, immense goalkeeper for that level. Also, keep an eye on the kids coming through at Wexford Youths. I picked up some real gems there for half nothing. One 16 year old came straight into my team and scored 24 goals.

Rovers also move to a new stadium at the end of the first year, this increased their attendances in my game. It's also easy enough to pick up free transfers from england and sell them on when their form picks up.

Good luck!

ps. IRL the standard in the League of Ireland is pretty good, and the matches entertaining. The attendances can be low though. People seem to rather spending 300 quid on a trip to see Celtic or Man Utd than buy a season ticket for their local team, but thats another story...

ps. IRL the standard in the League of Ireland is pretty good, and the matches entertaining. The attendances can be low though. People seem to rather spending 300 quid on a trip to see Celtic or Man Utd than buy a season ticket for their local team, but thats another story...

Or worse, Sunderland :( Hopefully now with Keane gone his worshipers will stop bothering. Maybe in some ways too, the recession might help, when people realise paying €400 to go watch a foreign team play another foreign team for 90 minutes in a sterile silent ground isn't that great value except to be able to tell your mates you've done it.

Archived