Tell me how to shed some players

Tried to post this in the LLM section and was met with resistance. Please help, if you can

A cry for help in at least three parts.

Where I'm at: In my third season with in Scotland. Won promotion from the Third Division last year and have been the surprise team of the Second Division this year. In second place with nine games to go. It is March 11th, 2010 on the calendar. Unlikely to catch the team in first. Definite playoff contenders though.

The problem: I am a chronic transfer shopper and have too many players with more inbound in June. I rotate about 18 in and out on my main team, but am having a hard time finding enough playing time for everyone on my reserve team, as I will often send unused or recently injured first team players there for games. There are around 20 players on the reserve team.

The question: I would like to shed about 15 bodies. Should I transfer list them now? Or wait until the transfer window opens in June? Should I offer them to clubs now or later? I will be getting rid of some good players that have been forced into backup roles by better players. How can I maximize any money that I might get for them?

Thank you very much for any advice that you can give.

I had to trim my squad, and whilst it was annoying, it helped to wait til June and offer them to clubs for free. Usually someone would take them unless they had very high wages or were very old; I had to pay one guy the previous manager had signed for 2 years on €15,000 per week, twice as much as the next guy but nowhere near good enough for the team. It took 2 years to find someone willing to pay him enough to move.

Archived